New toy - Optio WG-1
Posted 26/07/2011 - 17:54
Link
Very tempting, good exposure in sky which is often an issue with compacts.
What working ISO's can you stretch to please? i might have to buy one to go with my KR!
What working ISO's can you stretch to please? i might have to buy one to go with my KR!
Posted 26/07/2011 - 18:08
Link
Fantastic freedom thanks to the the rugged construction and waterproof and coldproof features.
I take my W90 everywhere, and the WG-1 is even tougher!
I take my W90 everywhere, and the WG-1 is even tougher!
Best regards, John
Posted 26/07/2011 - 18:20
Link
Lovely set of crisp and colourful images Mark, and demonstrates quite nicely how good a Pentax compact can be.
Dare I say I think it bodes very well for the IQ of the Q - forget about all the pixel peeping and sensor size snobbery, its the real-world results that counts.
Dare I say I think it bodes very well for the IQ of the Q - forget about all the pixel peeping and sensor size snobbery, its the real-world results that counts.
My Images
K1 II|K3|DA10-17|DA*16-50|FA31|DA*50-135|DA*200|DA*300|Sigma 150-500
K1 II|K3|DA10-17|DA*16-50|FA31|DA*50-135|DA*200|DA*300|Sigma 150-500
Posted 26/07/2011 - 18:22
Link
wvbarnes wrote:
Very tempting, good exposure in sky which is often an issue with compacts.
What working ISO's can you stretch to please? i might have to buy one to go with my KR!
I haven't had a chance to test the ISO limitations yet so, knowing the limitations of compact sensor at higher ISOs, I have set it to ISO100 rather than chance the AUTO ISO setting.Very tempting, good exposure in sky which is often an issue with compacts.
What working ISO's can you stretch to please? i might have to buy one to go with my KR!
These shots were taken with it in the Landscape mode.
Posted 26/07/2011 - 18:33
Link
My wife has the Optio RZ10 (brilliant little camera for the money)and we quickly figured that base ISO was the only way to go.
Maybe one day tiny sensors will be capable of low noise at high ISO but I think we'll have a long wait!
Maybe one day tiny sensors will be capable of low noise at high ISO but I think we'll have a long wait!
Posted 26/07/2011 - 18:40
Link
Sony, Canon and Ricoh all have compacts with backlit Cmos sensors, and acceptable results (to my eyes) up to about ISO800. So does the Pentax Q. Better sensors are out there, but Pentax just wacks a CCD in their compacts and sells em cheap.
They're fine at base iso though, as this thread shows. Superb shots.
They're fine at base iso though, as this thread shows. Superb shots.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


136 posts
16 years
Hampshire
I have been very lucky to have been given an Optio WG-1 for my birthday by my wife (I mentioned some time ago they were reduced at Amazon and she did the rest ).
I've only managed a little play with it so far but it seems like a very capable little camera. No manual controls but lots of modes to get to grips with.
Below are a few shots taken at the weekend. The only PP has been a slight sharpen and straighten.
Across the fields by Mark B Images, on Flickr
River Otter by Mark B Images, on Flickr
Poppies in a wheat field by Mark B Images, on Flickr
My Flickr - Mark B Images