Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New Kit

fatspider
Posted 17/11/2008 - 12:49 Link
A delivery man just knocked on my door

I am now the proud owner of a K20D with 16-50 and 50-135 DA* lenses, trouble is they feel like they've been in cold store for a month so I'm gonna have to leave them to thaw out for a bit.

One observation, condensation and the lenses special coating make some weird patterns on the glass.

Right, I'm off to read the manual
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Hardgravity
Posted 17/11/2008 - 13:06 Link
You read manuals???
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
ttk
Posted 17/11/2008 - 14:11 Link
Forget the manual Pick up your K10D and knock off a few shots of the kit and post..
Tel,
Mongoose
Posted 17/11/2008 - 16:22 Link
gentlemen, you forget! there is one and only one situation in which a man is permitted to read a manual, and that is while waiting for the new toy to be ready to play with!
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Hardgravity
Posted 17/11/2008 - 17:51 Link
You have a K10?

Use the battery out of that to play, no wait then!
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
fatspider
Posted 17/11/2008 - 18:17 Link
Quote:

I wasn't waiting for the battery, I was waiting for it to thaw out

Anyway, checked the focus on the 16-50, with BOTH bodies and all seems OK, I cant believe how quiet these DA* lenses are when focusing.

The weather looks promising for tomorrow so they may get a christening. the biggest problem I have now is fitting them into my diminutive tamrac backpack, they just wont go! the lens bodies are so much bigger, because of the motors I assume.

Looks like my Cashback will be going on a new bag
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Prieni
Posted 17/11/2008 - 19:06 Link
Hey Spider,

you just are up to 1K posts! As I read you already got your prize for it. Congratulations and enjoy!

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Mannesty
Posted 17/11/2008 - 22:31 Link
The current firmware version of your new acquisition is almost certainly 1.00, upgrade it to 1.01 and enjoy.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
womble
Posted 17/11/2008 - 22:56 Link
impotentspider wrote:
... the lens bodies are so much bigger, because of the motors I assume.

I assumed it was because of the large maximum aperture but then what do I know. Have fun! I love my 50-135, my all time favourite lens.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
fatspider
Posted 17/11/2008 - 23:10 Link
Quote:
I assumed it was because of the large maximum aperture but then what do I know. Have fun! I love my 50-135, my all time favourite lens.

What bag are you using Kris? and do you find the lens hood on the 50-135 a bit of a loose fit? Mine does'nt seem to lock in place all that well, at least not as positively as the 16-50 or anything else I've ever had.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
womble
Posted 17/11/2008 - 23:15 Link
Nothing special on the bag front. It's shoulder bag, an old Lowerpro I have had for years and has carried a variety of stuff from my MX on.

The lens hood on my 50-135 clicks on very sturdily, not loose at all.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Hardgravity
Posted 18/11/2008 - 08:23 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
You have a K10?

Sorry I thought it was the battery you were waiting for

On the bag front ,have you looked at the Lowepro Slingshots? The 200AW should do what you want.
I use a Slingshot 100AW and had my P30, K110d and K200d (with 'grip) init on Sunday, the ME was in the top pocket as well!

If you shop around you should get one and have change from your cash back.
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
Unlocker
Posted 18/11/2008 - 09:20 Link
The slingshots are very good bags, but for me, by the time I had filled up my 300AW there was too much weight in it for one shoulder!

So, sold it to a mate and got the Lowepro Fastpack 350, which is essentially the same thing, except it has 2 straps and a space for a laptop.
Hardgravity
Posted 18/11/2008 - 11:48 Link
Looked at one of them on saturday, nice, I was thinking of a day sac for hikes in the dales/lakes.

Soon be Xmas!
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
fatspider
Posted 18/11/2008 - 19:33 Link
Quote:
I had filled up my 300AW there was too much weight in it for one shoulder!

Exactly the reason I have a small Tamrac Expedition, I could add extra pouches onto the webbing when needed.

I looked at the 100AW today and thats going to be way too small. i'll have to see if I can find a 200W but I'm actually considering a Tamrac Aero Speed Pack, http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm, it can be hung from the shoulder and opened from the side a bit like a slingshot but it still has the benefit of two shoulder straps, I think I could put additional lenses into the top compartment when needed, my new DA*s came with protective lens pouches so no real problem there.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.