New K-70...anyone planning to buy?

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 18/07/2016 - 10:48
Just wondered with the imminent release of the K-70 whether anyone was planning on buying one. I quite like the look of it but having only had the K-50 for a little over a year its too soon to be changing again.

Karlo

McGregNi

Link Posted 18/07/2016 - 12:21
The K70 looks like a lot of camera for the money! It certainly continues and even extends the Pentax 'tradition' of offering increasingly high end features and tech in mid range priced bodies.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

richandfleur

Link Posted 18/07/2016 - 19:15
Looks like a rather incredible fusion of new tech for the price, for stills work.

I'd get a longer warranty option personally, I case the aperture quality control issues haven't been fully sorted yet.

IF the unit had returned real mechanical stabilisation during video recording I would have been at the front of the queue for this one. Video now get continual autofocus with some lenses but that's about it on the video improvement front.

Stills wise this new camera is very powerful indeed.

DevilWearsSurfPrada

Link Posted 18/07/2016 - 22:50
Richandfleur - can you elaborate?

Aperture QC issues?
Continual AF in some lenses.... Which lenses?

Any help appreciated, in the market for a new body soon.

richandfleur

Link Posted 18/07/2016 - 23:31
DevilWearsSurfPrada wrote:

Aperture QC issues?

The K-30 and K-50 cameras were prone to aperture system failures, and there are some reports of this issue occurring in newer models also.
Pentax has used this shutter/aperture system in most entry/mid tier cameras for many years, but it appears a quality control issue occurred which led to the faults in these models. It's probably fair to assume that the K-70 will use the same system, given it's the standard specs for this type of model of 1/6000s max shutter speed and 6 fps burst etc.

So, one hopes they've sorted that issue out, because I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through that again, and Pentax did not help anyone affected by this outside of the basic warranty period.

DevilWearsSurfPrada wrote:

Continual AF in some lenses.... Which lenses?

I believe the compatible (able to use the continual AF in video mode feature) lens list is:
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mmF3.5-5.6ED DC WR
smc PENTAX-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE
HD PENTAX-DA 18-50mmF4-5.6 DC WR RE
smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mmF3.5-5.6ED AL[IF] DC WR
HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mmF2.8-4ED Limited DC WR
HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mmF3.5-5.6ED DC WR
HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE
HD PENTAX-D FA★70-200mmF2.8ED DC AW
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mmF4.5-5.6ED DC AW
HD PENTAX-DA 560mmF5.6ED AW
Last Edited by richandfleur on 18/07/2016 - 23:32

Helpful

DevilWearsSurfPrada

Link Posted 19/07/2016 - 01:01
Thanks Richandfleur.

My concern in reading the press releases was feeling I'd be forced into buying new glass (conversely that 55-300 PLM looks real attractive). I have a nasty habit of getting every ounce out of old film era lenses. As long the lighting's good somehow I've been able to overcome AF issues. But that is with respects to photos. Video is another matter.

Definitely want to get a better look at the K70 reviews. I may still consider the K3II.

richandfleur

Link Posted 19/07/2016 - 02:07
The K-70 will be very capable as a stills camera. Depending on what Pentax camera you have now, the experience will likely be very similar on the K-70 and with great results.

Only the continuous Auto Focus during video mode will require one of the above lenses, although they can obviously still be used successfully for stills work also.

So, you are limited to only the above lenses on the K-70 at all for stills, or for video for that matter, but you will require one of them IF you want to use the continuous AF in video mode feature.

The K-70 looks like a solid replacement for the K-30/K-50 bodies, and as always will give similar results to the big brother K-3 series but will not feature the associated solid metal construction, grip option, faster shutter speed and higher burst rate and bigger buffer and external dials etc of the K-5/K-3 series.

I do hope Pentax have looked long and hard at the K-30 aperture issue, and identified what exactly is going on there. I personally think they should have owned this problem and the solution of a free recall fix, but that just didn't happen. They still haven't sorted SR during video mode, which at least 3 other competition companies can achieve now, so if they could sort that it would be the perfect camera for me.

johnriley

Link Posted 19/07/2016 - 07:12
You can use any lenses you like on the K-70 for general use. However, the new lens with its electromatic diaphragm mechanism, can only be used on the most recent DSLRs.
Best regards, John

D0n

Link Posted 19/07/2016 - 19:34
without knowing what the new lenses and focussing system performance actually is... and the variable aperture while recording sounds awesome..
at a pro level I rarely ever use af while recording video...
you just can't beat the manual focus "feel" of the older lenses that are designed for manual focus.
guys with newer lenses be buying a "follow focus" rig with "gear reduction" to get "precise feel" on the newer lenses and I am standing there with a light weight set up pulling focus with an old lens that has the aperture ring "de-clicked" and able to rack focus just fine...
plan your shot, mark your start and end points and you'll nail the focus more often than your actors will ever "Hit their marks" which is the main cause of "out of focus" shots anyways.

if you want/need to use AF during a run and gun event, you're better off with a dedicated video camera anyways. save the d-slr shots for shots you can plan if you want a cinematic shot there is no substitute for planing, lighting and composing... and you don't need AF for that.
it KILLS ME that pentax can't just put some better codecs, clean/raw hdmi, and sensor based SR into one of these cameras.... pentax would have a killer mirrorless system if they had licensed the Samsung NX1 and released a fully functional Kmount adaptor for it. like the Samsung nx to K but with AF for those who want it...
Last Edited by D0n on 19/07/2016 - 19:41
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.