Negative Scaning

droopsnoot

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 19:36
I bought a 35mm slide scanner from Maplin, and it's been great. At the time it was 29.99 on their web site, but special offer of 19.99 at a store open day. It's marked as "5Mp file and slide scanner, equivalent to 1800dpi or 3600dpi with interpolation."

I had trouble with it not working on one XP machine, but it's fine on the other. The box says "Windows XP SP2 above / Vista / Win7" but I haven't tried it on 7.

I think it's very similar to some of the ones you get in Currys/PCW, but at a much lower price. If you're trying to scan larger than 35mm, though, it's no use. If quality of the original isn't marvellous, you can get some good results by hanging the negatives or slides on a lightbox and photographing them.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

grahamwalton

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 20:17
To scan negatives and slides on a flatbed scanner it needs to have an Illuminated Hood and some dedicated carriers. The PX720WD Printer/Scanner does not have such a hood.
Many Epson, Canon and HP Flatbed scanners did come with illuminated hoods. There is a problem with drivers but as has been mentioned, Vuescan usually provides the answer.
Friendly Regards
Graham

Helpful

sorted78

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 20:48
Quote:
To scan negatives and slides on a flatbed scanner it needs to have an Illuminated Hood and some dedicated carriers.

Ah, that would be why my first efforts at scanning my 645 negatives on a cheap multifunction printer/scanner didn't work too well either.

I don't think any of the scanning guides I read mentioned that the negatives need to be backlit.

I'll look out for a proper film scanner...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.