Photographic Salons

johnriley

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 14:45
I have mixed feelings about these - a fee is charged to enter, a percentage of images are chosen and increasingly the only place they get shown is on the CD or in the catalogue that is sent to the ones selected.

Then every acceptance adds another point towards awards that can be put after our names.

I just get the feeling it's a bit like buying a qualification, although it is true that we have to have our images selected. I'm still thinking about it.

What's the general feeling about these things?
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 15/11/2011 - 14:45

davidtrout

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 15:49
The reason I enter salons is because its a fairly accurate test of the quality of your photgraphy.
The images are selected by a panel of experts, usually of ARPS or FRPS standing, not by just one judge.
You are up against some of the best photographers in the world so its quite a thrill to get acceptances.
Everyone who enters, whether succesful or not, gets the CD of the accepted images and everyone receives a copy of the fine print catalogue.
Our local International Salon, run by the Northern Counties Photographic Federation, tours round camera clubs in the region and I think this happens with other salons as well.
To view any of these salons is a terrific experience, particularly to see some of the stunning images that come from the Far East.
I don't agree with your comment John that getting points towards, say the FIAP distinctions, is a bit like buying awards. You have to prove the worth of your pictures by having them selected before that can happen.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 15/11/2011 - 16:21

johnriley

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 15:51
Thanks david, although it was more of a question than a statement. Entering salons could be a very expensive business and I'm just currently weighing it up.

I might well try a couple out of curiosity to see how many (if any) get in.
Best regards, John

Blythman

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 16:06
Been a member of a camera club all of 8 weeks. So, at the moment I'm afraid you are speaking a foreign tongue
Alan

PPG
Flickr

davidtrout

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 16:22
Which camera club are you in Alan?
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Blythman

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 16:35
Blyth Photographic Society David
Alan

PPG
Flickr

fatspider

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 18:06
I have often considered trying for something, although I wonder if it will make me a better photographer.

I think my camera clubs syllabus for next year will have me listed as Alan Chapman C.R.A.P

It would be interesting to know just who has what in the PU forum, I wonder if we have anyone with an FRPS?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.