Negative Scaning

FAT8BIKER

Link Posted 12/11/2011 - 17:33
Hi all
I am new to the forum so i hope this does not sound to stupid.
Can you use a printer/scanner to scan negastives, what software do you need to flip them.
I have windows 7 on the lap top.
Cheers

puma

Link Posted 12/11/2011 - 17:55
The Epson 1240 scanner or higher scans negatives; it comes with its own software
my web site http://www.swilsonphotography.foliopic.com/
PPG link

Helpful

cbrog

Link Posted 12/11/2011 - 20:28
The Epson 4180 will also scan negs. two-and-a-quarter and 35mm. But be warned you will need to scan at a very high dpi. I generally scan at 2400 dpi or higher. Of course it takes all day to scan a block of 4 (2.1/4) or 6x35mm strip.......
Any 'proper' imaging program should flip negative to positive - at least black and white, you do not say which you are proposing to scan.
Last Edited by cbrog on 12/11/2011 - 20:29

Helpful

Mannesty

Link Posted 12/11/2011 - 22:13
Vuescan is compatible with most scanners available.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Helpful

bjolester

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 10:40
If you want to scan 35mm film, I guess that a dedicated 35mm film scanner will do the job best. Unfortunately most of these have been discontinued, except from the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000/5000 ED, which are very expensive. I would look for older models of the Nikon Coolscan and Minolta Dimage series.

You can find more information about different scanners here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/scanrex.htm

Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

Helpful

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 11:11
I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV and Vuescan. Between them they do a very good job and save the images as 20Mb TIFF's, which is not the largest. I think each image is around 40Mb if you scan and save at full resolution.

It's just a shame my 20-40 year old negatives are not in a good state.

My father was custodian of them for some years, and kept them in a damp garage.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 13/11/2011 - 11:13

Helpful

gartmore

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 11:43
I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV too but with the OEM software, cant recommend highly enough. Its well worth looking out for one.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Helpful

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 12:03
gartmore wrote:
I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV too but with the OEM software, ...

Does the OEM s/w work with Windows 7 Ken?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Helpful

gartmore

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 13:00
I dont know, Peter.

But... it didn't work with Vista at which point I downloaded the trial version of Vuescan and discovered that the Minolta software worked once again. I presume there was a missing codec or similar so installing Vuescan is a workaround. If you have Vuescan it might be worth installing the original Minolta software and see what happens, I'd be interested to know the result.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Helpful

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 14:07
gartmore wrote:
If you have Vuescan it might be worth installing the original Minolta software and see what happens, I'd be interested to know the result.

I'll let you know . . . when I can find the Minolta s/w CD
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

gartmore

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 15:55
I could lend you a copy if you like.
Ken

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 16:44
Thanks Ken, but no need. I found mine.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 18:12
Having installed the Minolta scanner software on Windows 7, it works.

I ran the setup utility as Administrator, and already had Vuescan installed.

Whether it's using the Minolta or Vuescan driver, I have yet to check.

The only thing I couldn't find was anywhere to tell the Minolta software to scan only 4 negs. All of my neg strips are in 4's.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Helpful

FAT8BIKER

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 18:23
Thanks for all your imput,i have a epson PX720WD.
Most of the older scanners will not work with windows 7,no drivers.
I have seen a Minolta for sale might try that with Vuescan.
CHEERS
FAT8BIKER
DAVE

FAT8BIKER

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 18:34
cbrog wrote:
The Epson 4180 will also scan negs. two-and-a-quarter and 35mm. But be warned you will need to scan at a very high dpi. I generally scan at 2400 dpi or higher. Of course it takes all day to scan a block of 4 (2.1/4) or 6x35mm strip.......
Any 'proper' imaging program should flip negative to positive - at least black and white, you do not say which you are proposing to scan.

ALL TYPES AND SIZES COLOUR/B&W/SLIDES some of the b&w are70 odd years old.
DAVE
Last Edited by FAT8BIKER on 13/11/2011 - 18:35
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.