Need a new lens

techno-terminator

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 11:17
As the header says

OK why do I need a new one ? 'cos I'm having problems with some interior shots

I have - K30 and its kit 18-55 WR Lens - lovely combination but it's not long enough.

DA 35 2.4

Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 [ sadly underused by me ]

Tamron 18-250 5-6.3 I believe

Having looked at the shots I'm taking in the Chapel - I need something longer than the 18-55 - I seem to be using it about 75-100 distance . I'm shooting across the chapel and at a slight angle - possibly about 45 degrees to my right , if that makes sense .

The only restriction placed on me is that I can't use Flash as it's a distraction [ I agree ] OH and sadly there's no room for a Tripod which would help for stability after I've been standing for up to 90 mins !

Lighting is horrendous and in the winter the heaters are overhead halogen type things which give off a red light !! I can't always plan for photos that I'm taking - they tend to be of the ' spot it and grab it before the moment has gone' type of thing.

The DA35 would get the shots BUT I'd end up by having to do a pretty drastic cropping to get exactly what I need , at times. I ~ think~ I'd prefer to be using a zoom and thus focus in on my subject at the time. Come to think of it I've not taken the Sigma there - but I've a sneaky feeling that though the length is about right it wouldn't be a lot better

Any ideas would be most welcome . As to funds - I honestly have no idea - the purse is not bottomless but I can't give an idea as it obviously depends on the lens. I'm happy to buy pre-loved as long as I know it's been carefully looked after i.e. I'm not too happy buying from a nOOb who's not been here long
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

mille19

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 11:30
DA 50mm F1.8 has just dropped in price to £119 could be just what you need

JonSchick

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 11:34
Best option is probably a 50-135 DA* if you can stretch to it. Or perhaps a DA70 Limited? The Pentax or Sigma 17-70 lenses may do what you need too, but not as well as the DA*.....

Russ

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 11:40
I have recently been looking at the highly rated Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and Sigma 24-70 f2.8. Bit more range than the 18-55 and gulping in more light. They are not cheap new, especially the Sigma. But both are around the £250-300 mark secondhand. There is a Sigma on Ebay at the moment for £275 But'it'now or best offer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-Zoom-24-70mm-1-2-8-F2-8-EX-DG-Macro-Pentax-Fit-K...

And SRS are selling a used Tamron for roughly the same price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMRON-28-75mm-f2-8-PENTAX-FIT-USED-12-MONTHS-WARRANTY...

Opethian

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 12:03
Looks like a job for a 70mm Ltd!

Twitter | Someone said time-lapse?
Pentax K5 | Samsung N9005 | DA 18-55 WR | DA 35 2.4 | DA 50 1.8
Tamron 10-24 SP | Tamron 90 2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300 Macro
Samyang 85 1.4 ...and a few other manual lenses older than me.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 12:11
Agreed about the 70mm Ltd AND it wouldn't take up much room in my bag when flying

Anyone wish to part with their much loved one ? Can't go to the new price for it

techno-terminator

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 12:14
mille19 wrote:
DA 50mm F1.8 has just dropped in price to £119 could be just what you need

Price is very attractive - but I suspect it's a tad short for my needs - again I'd need to crop and I get twinges about that

Boyo2406

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 12:34
techno-terminator wrote:
Agreed about the 70mm Ltd AND it wouldn't take up much room in my bag when flying

Anyone wish to part with their much loved one ? Can't go to the new price for it

There is one in the classified right now.
Digital

K-30, GX-10, DA 16-45, DA 18-55 and DAL 55 - 300

Film

ME Super, 2 x MX, SP 500 and SP F

and lense or 2

gartmore

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 12:40
A new lens AND a monopod
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

techno-terminator

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 13:04
Well - I fear the 70mm is out - I can't use either a monopod or a tripod there There just is not the room .

So I'm back to looking at a zoom and needing a few lottery wins to get one

I can dream

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 13:26
I do have a vested interest since I am selling a 70mm right now! But I would say that the f2.4 of the 70mm is slightly faster than any fast zoom in that range, and the light weight of the lens would make it easier to hand hold than a zoom if monopods are out.

However if light gathering is the primary concern and f2.8 / f2.4 is still not fast enough, it wouldn't be a zoom I would be looking for. I'd be looking at the Sigma 85/1.4. Or if MF is a possibility, the Samyang 85/1.4 which is a bit cheaper
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 06/09/2013 - 13:30

Gamka

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 13:28
A monopod take so space whatsoever.

Put the base between your toes and the camera will be in front of your eyes.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 18:24
Gamka - neither a monopod nor a tripod are possible - I have to be able to put down the camera to take part in the Service .

Whatever I use HAS to be handheld .

At present looking at the Sigma suggested by Pentaxophile, on purely financial grounds, - it's out

I'll take my Sigma with me on the next visit and try that - it should be better than the Tamron .

I'm not keen on using E-Bay for something like this -I don't know enough to be able to tell if there is a problem with a lens despite anything the seller states about it.

Russ

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 18:37
The Tamron XR 28-75 2.8 on Ebay is actually being sold by SRS Microsystems. So you could give them a phone and do it that way instead. You are dealing with one of the best UK retailers then, not just an Ebay bod.

That lens, going by reviews, is in a whole different league to any of the lenses you have for optical quality, except the DA 35. It works well wide open and at all focal lengths.

AndrewA

Link Posted 06/09/2013 - 19:28
I have a mint boxed Tamron XR 28-75 2.8 that I will be listing in the classifieds this weekend.

Bought it used (even though I doubt the previous user had actually used it at all) from Ffordes early August but have just managed to secure an absolute bargain Sigma 24-70 so the Tammy has to go.

I have been really impressed with the Tammy, great focal length and low light performance, and if I could afford to keep them both.

These were taken with it: link
As was this
(click on the cross!)

If you are interested drop me a PM or keep an eye on the classifieds!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Last Edited by AndrewA on 06/09/2013 - 19:28
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.