ND Filter Help

Posted 15/04/2013 - 07:38 Link
Morning guys

Ive recently been trying out cheap ND filters off of Ebay to try and slow down the action during the day. However I dont know if what I am doing is correct or if the cheap filters are doing exactly what they say on the tin!
I would have thought putting an 8 stopper and 2 stopper (both screwed on)the camera it would have gave me really long exposures. The photo below was taken on Saturday and it was quite overcast. With the two ND filters on the lens (K-x & 18-55)AND a pretty dull day I would have assumed at ISO100 and F11 through to F22 the exposure would have been lenghty. The best I could get without blowing out the highlights was 1 1/2 secs at F11.

Comment Image


So my question is where do I come by these big stopper filters than can give me loooong exposures of 30 - 60 seconds.

I dont want to spend big money. The two filters used for this photograph were about £4 and I cant see a big degradation in IQ.

Thanks

QC
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Mannesty
Posted 15/04/2013 - 08:19 Link
QuestionableCarrot wrote:

So my question is where do I come by these big stopper filters than can give me loooong exposures of 30 - 60 seconds.

I don't want to spend big money.
Unfortunately you may have to. A quality 10 stop ND filter will set you back about £100.00.

Welding glass, which is actually 12-14 stops, will cost less than a fiver, but the glass quality is not good and the image suffers as a result.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
petrochemist
Posted 15/04/2013 - 08:30 Link
I suspect what you have is an ND8 & a ND2 which should give 3 stops & 1 stop respectively. (ND8 reduces the light 8 fold which is halfing it 3 times). Photographic big stopper type filters are typically ~£100 You could always try out welding glass...
V cheap, but you have to arrange your own mounting & it gives a colour cast.
Shades 8-13 are generally available, with the higher numbers blocking more. Even a shade 8 will give you a LOT more than you have here.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
andrewk
Posted 15/04/2013 - 08:57 Link
I bought a 52MM HAIDA Pro ND3.0 1000x off Fleabay a few months back for just over £25. I've only taken a couple of shots with it so far - definitely a 10 stopper. Possibly a *little* blue cast, otherwise looks fine.

Andrew
WaypointCharlie
Posted 15/04/2013 - 08:59 Link
Even though it was overcast it was probably quite bright. 10 stops will extend exposure by a factor of 1024. The equivalent exposure time without the filters would have been about 1/640s, which may be about right, although it does seem a bit on the short side. Bear in mind filters do vary and they may not be exactly the value they say on the tin.

Dedicated 10-stop filters don't come cheap. The classic and the one a lot of people aspire to is the Lee Big Stopper. It's good but it's glass and therefore fragile. Then there are the Formatt Hitech filters. I have one of their Pro Stop 10s. It's resin and therefore less likely to break but it does have a significant blue cast. Formatt claim it's a simple matter of white balancing to remove the cast but in practice this can be hard to achieve well, which may be why shots taken with it are often converted to B&W!

If I were you I'd stick with using your filters for a while longer to see how much opportunity you get to use them. I hardly ever use the 10-stop. Personally I now find milky seas a bit passé, but they seem to be a kind of rite of passage we have to go through!

On another tack, I notice at least five small blobs in your sky. Was that spray on your filter, or does your sensor need a clean?
Edited by WaypointCharlie: 15/04/2013 - 09:20
DaveHolmes
Posted 15/04/2013 - 09:41 Link
I have a Heliopan ND 3,0 I get about 13 seconds in midday sun at f11(ish) iso100

Comment Image


It wasn't an expensive filter (49mm screw on type) and I like it a lot... I like your shots better than mine though
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Posted 15/04/2013 - 12:40 Link
Thanks so much guys for the advice. I will look into the heliopan. My Kx is very dirty but cleaning the sensor doesn't seem to help. is there anyone i could send it too?
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
WaypointCharlie
Posted 15/04/2013 - 13:47 Link
Depends where you live. I've heard Advanced Camera Services in Norfolk recommended. However, if you only paid £4 for your filters you might baulk at what it costs to get a sensor professionally cleaned!
gartmore
Posted 15/04/2013 - 13:50 Link
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
Morning guys

Ive recently been trying out cheap ND filters off of Ebay to try and slow down the action during the day. However I dont know if what I am doing is correct or if the cheap filters are doing exactly what they say on the tin!
I would have thought putting an 8 stopper and 2 stopper (both screwed on)the camera it would have gave me really long exposures. The photo below was taken on Saturday and it was quite overcast. With the two ND filters on the lens (K-x & 18-55)AND a pretty dull day I would have assumed at ISO100 and F11 through to F22 the exposure would have been lenghty. The best I could get without blowing out the highlights was 1 1/2 secs at F11.

Comment Image


So my question is where do I come by these big stopper filters than can give me loooong exposures of 30 - 60 seconds.

I dont want to spend big money. The two filters used for this photograph were about £4 and I cant see a big degradation in IQ.

Thanks

QC
what is actually written on the filters?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 15/04/2013 - 14:01 Link
nd8 and nd2
don't have them to hand to tel you what make they are
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
WaypointCharlie
Posted 15/04/2013 - 14:43 Link
As petrochemist says, it sounds like you have a 3 stop plus a 1 stop - i.e. 4 stop total. If you've bought a 10 stop for about £4 then you've caught a bargain!
redbusa99
Posted 15/04/2013 - 16:46 Link
my local dealer ,Clifton Cameras, charge £45 for a wet and dry sensor clean, when i last asked how much.
the blue cast of hitech is a lot easier to remove than the magenta of cokin i have found.
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Posted 15/04/2013 - 18:24 Link
Ive been talking to Calumet in Belfast and they have agreed to do it "even if it is a Pentax"

They actually asked me if it had mirror lock up capability!
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
redbusa99
Posted 15/04/2013 - 19:50 Link
is there nobody else, not sure i would trust them with a response like that.
odd lens or 2

Flickr
michaelblue
Posted 15/04/2013 - 20:31 Link
redbusa99 wrote:
is there nobody else, not sure i would trust them with a response like that.
I definitely wouldn't trust them, sounds like jessops.
Get some proper sensor cleaning swabs and do it yourself, it's not difficult, just follow the instructions to the letter.
I did my Kx without any problem
Regards,
Michael
Edited by michaelblue: 15/04/2013 - 20:31

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo