SD card problems

annieogg
Posted 23/04/2013 - 09:12 Link
At the moment I only have 3 SD cards and since I got my Q it means I only have 1 spare. (I know I need more). For some reason the K5 decided not to recognise one yesterday. Had the Q with me so tried in that didn't want to know either so I put a differant card in and it was fine.
What I usually do is take the images of each card after I use it through a card reader I copy them to lappy and then format again in the camera. Was wondering if this was the wrong thing to do. Any way tis card still had images on it as I hadn't formated it. So tried in reader and the images where still seen by lappy.
Is there any way to get the camera to recognise it again (says no card in camera) or shall I just bin it?

Card is Lexar Professional 8gb 133x speed.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them
steven9761
Posted 23/04/2013 - 09:29 - Helpful Comment Link
Annie - try using a program called ZERO ASSUMPTION FILE RECOVERY (link). Just below Step 1 (near the top of the page) is the download link. This link also explains the processes involved, so that you get a better understanding of what you are seeing on-screen.

Good luck!

If you don't have any luck, you can send me the card, and I'll do the recovery for you. Just PM me if you choose that option.
Edited by steven9761: 23/04/2013 - 09:30
Gamka
Posted 23/04/2013 - 10:28 - Helpful Comment Link
Have you got the images off the card?

If so, use your laptop to do a full format.

Assuming Windows:

Insert the SD card in the reader and it will normally ask if you want to open File Manager/Explorer


In File Manager/Explorer and navigate up to the "My Computer" level

Then, identify the SD card - check and check again.

Right Click on the Card Icon and select Format. When the option come up, Choose FAT32, Default Allocation Size, and ensure Quick Format is NOT selected.

START

That will do a deep full format of the card - which you should then be able to do a quick format in the camera - unless you can create the directory structure.
Edited by Gamka: 23/04/2013 - 10:30
annieogg
Posted 23/04/2013 - 10:30 Link
Thanks Steven I manage to get the data of the card from card reader. Just hadn't deleted what was on there. Was wondering If I had caused the card to fail by the way I use it.
Or would I be able in some way to make it readable on the camera or should I just bin it. I have 2 of these cards so abit worried that will go the same way. My third card is a sandisc which is the brand I used when I was using compact flash cards, so perhaps I'll replace both and get Sandisc.
Thanks for your help Steven.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them
annieogg
Posted 23/04/2013 - 10:32 Link
I did try that but left quick format ticked was unsure at the time will see if I can do again
Thanks Gamka
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them
steven9761
Posted 23/04/2013 - 10:54 - Helpful Comment Link
Correct way to remove a card off a computer is to click the little up-arrow next to your clock on the bottom of the screen, then hover over the tabs until you see SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE. You should then see a drop-down, showing the name of the card. Click on your card to eject it, then when you are prompted, remove it from the pc. Basically, what this does is it "kills" residual power to the card, thus eliminating any damaging power spikes.
annieogg
Posted 23/04/2013 - 11:09 Link
Thanks Steven I'm guessing that has been the cause. I have always done that removing hard drives and other USB devices but not cards for some reason that hadn't occured to me guess its obviouse really.
I did a deep format of the card camera still doesn't see it. Even tried copy the contents of a working card to it but still no joy (i'm sure thats not the correct way to rebuild directory lol)
I'm going to abandon that card and replace and be more careful in removal in future.
Thanks for your help Guys.
Is it ok to format cards in camera each time or should I just delete images? I dont swope cards between cameras but the spare is sometimes used in K5 or Q I format then though.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them
Algernon
Posted 23/04/2013 - 12:20 - Helpful Comment Link
Very rare to have problems with Lexar Pro 133x one
of the best cards made.

You could try formatting it with the Official SD Association
software from link

Also get the Manual link

Choose.....

FORMAT FULL (OverWrite):
This option initializes the file system parameter in the card, and
initializes all the user data areas (Initialize it by overwriting
the meaningless data to all the user data areas).
This option has the possibility that it makes the format time
long according to the capacity of the card.


If that doesn't fix it return the card to Lexar. It should have
had a Limited Lifetime Warranty so they should replace it.

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 23/04/2013 - 12:26
annieogg
Posted 23/04/2013 - 12:49 Link
Thanks Algernon I have tried that now but card still not working.
Have had the card just over year since I got my K5 so perhaps to long to replace but its worth a try. I have another identical card so good to hear problems are rare with them. A card failure has always been a worry so 8g is as big as I'll buy (used to just use 4g but bigger camera files now) less images to loose. Was lucky this time as had already copied the files to lappy but even so is only the camera not seeing it and the files were safe.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them
Algernon
Posted 23/04/2013 - 13:55 Link
Possibly damage to the secure part of the card which
can't be accessed.

I'm sure they will change it. I noticed somewhere
that their guarantee in Germany was 10 years so
I would think here would be similar.

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
fritzthedog
Posted 23/04/2013 - 13:55 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi Annie

2 things:

Firstly - have you actually tried copying any files on to the card from your laptop?

Secondly and I know it sounds mad - but I once had a similar issue with a sandisc card and in desperation I slid the lock button fully each way a couple of times and tried it again - can not think of any reason how or why it would work but it did!

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Gamka
Posted 23/04/2013 - 14:56 - Helpful Comment Link
fritzthedog wrote:
Hi Annie

Secondly and I know it sounds mad - but I once had a similar issue with a sandisc card and in desperation I slid the lock button fully each way a couple of times and tried it again - can not think of any reason how or why it would work but it did!

Carl
Just thinking on similar lines - can read but not write. Is the write lock switch in the correct position?


annieogg wrote:

Is it ok to format cards in camera each time or should I just delete images? I dont swope cards between cameras but the spare is sometimes used in K5 or Q I format then though.
A point of discussion many many times.

I never format in camera, only on my PC and then very rarely. My cards get used in the camera, removed, images copied off and deleted from the card then back in camera.

I have a card that tends to be used in my compact camera, but that was previously in my DSLR and used without reformatting.

Occasionally I will need to transfer a file from PC to PC and don't have a memory stick available - so I will use the SD/SDHC cards.

Your comment about SanDisk is sensible - always go for the better top end brands such as SanDisk, Crucial (if they are still around in the SD market), Kingston ... Avoid the low end generics/own brand and always buy from a reputable source.
annieogg
Posted 23/04/2013 - 16:10 Link
I had tried other files and the wrote on there ok. Had also tried moving the lock button tried in both positions no joy. S0 decided to try that again this time moved the button down only to realise the case is loose and the button flew off and got lost in the carpet pile. I'm wondering if its been the case that has been damaged all the time and so contacts not conectint firmly in camera.
Thanks again everyone for your help at least a lesson has been learnt going to be more carefull putting cards in and out of lappy or card reader.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them
Gamka
Posted 23/04/2013 - 16:27 Link
Just to add to my last post ...

SanDisk, Crucial , Kingston plus Lexar.

Laxar is the brand used by Micron Consumer who are owned by Micron Technology who also own Crucial! May explain why Crucial disappeared from the SD market.
Chrism8
Posted 23/04/2013 - 16:53 Link
I had problems with some SD cards a while back and found that it was the reader and not the card, throu this forum, I was advised to use a reader designed for the card and not a 10 in 1 type, since then, all's been fine.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo