My weekend

Blythman

Link Posted 26/09/2011 - 08:59
The weekend thread asked what we would be doing. I said I was hoping to take pictures of owls. Here is a summary of my weekend.

Treecreeper by Blythman1960, on Flickr

Kingfisher by Blythman1960, on Flickr

Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker by Blythman1960, on Flickr

Juvenile Chaffinch by Blythman1960, on Flickr

And so to the owls. Light was fantastic and I was looking forward to taking advantage of it. Wildlife being what it is, the owls didn't play ball. They came out later than they have been doing, when the light was rapidly dimming.

Short Eared Owl - pale bird, limbering up by Blythman1960, on Flickr

Short Eared Owl - a darker bird than the previous one by Blythman1960, on Flickr

Had someone taking the mick as I was shooting over ISO 1,600, which is obviously a no go. The above being at ISO 2,500

So, I thought I'd push the boundaries a bit as it got ever darker. The next two, which are obviously a compromise of quality v getting the shot were at ISO 12,800 and 8,000 respectively

Short Eared Owl in low light by Blythman1960, on Flickr

Short Eared Owl in low light 2 by Blythman1960, on Flickr

All pictures taken with the Sigma 150-500 on the K5
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by Blythman on 26/09/2011 - 09:00

Father Ted

Link Posted 26/09/2011 - 10:25
Got to be the last one for me.
The others are cracking shots, but there's something about catcing a bird of prey in flight!
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Blythman

Link Posted 26/09/2011 - 10:29
Don't know where the GSW went. Be handy if you could add to an original thread. Here it is again anyway

Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker by Blythman1960, on Flickr

And thanks for the feedback Ted
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by Blythman on 26/09/2011 - 10:29

Father Ted

Link Posted 26/09/2011 - 10:35
Tis no probs

One teansie bit of C&C...I'd clone out that fence line above the "Short Eared Owl in low light". It's a tad distracting
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Blythman

Link Posted 26/09/2011 - 10:55
Father Ted wrote:
Tis no probs

One teansie bit of C&C...I'd clone out that fence line above the "Short Eared Owl in low light". It's a tad distracting

Thanks Ted. You're spot on. Unfortunately, although I'm not too bad with Lightroom (which is great for cloning out small areas), I am next to useless at Photoshop. Something I should work on over the winter
Alan

PPG
Flickr

lukeystan

Link Posted 26/09/2011 - 23:06
Really like the last two, I don't think you've lost too much IQ, and so worth it for the shot of a bird in flight especially.
K-r & MG with 18-55mm and 50-200mm kit lenses, M 50mm f1.7 and M 135mm

nipper

Link Posted 26/09/2011 - 23:16
crikey nice variety of birds Alan , Tree creepers are difficult i can't get a decent one , never seen a short eared owl what a beautiful bird they are nice shots

marklj

Link Posted 27/09/2011 - 06:52
A nice varied set. Very impressed with the last one. Never attempted a shot with the ISO that high but it works very well and is certainly worth it.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/09/2011 - 09:11
They are all excellent, although some look a tad over-exposed on my laptop screen. This may be entirely the fault of the screen.

The background colours in the penultimate one are lovely.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 27/09/2011 - 10:19
Some do look a bit bright. The owls are good, but for me the trouble with owls is that you are competing with easy to take pictures at owl sanctuaries. For me therefore the standout picture by a country mile is the treecreeper, which is beautiful.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

Blythman

Link Posted 27/09/2011 - 10:54
Thanks for all the feedback - much appreciated. I have to agree, looking again that the chaffinch and woodpecker in particular are too bright. Something to be mindful of in future.

As to the owls Dr. O, I have some nice captive shots on my flickr photostream so I know what you mean. I am however, hooked. Its a privilege just to go and watch them, so my photostream is slowly filling up with them while the opportunity is there (some good, some not so good)

The treecreeper is an amazing little bird, that seems to be able to climb down trees as fast as it can climb up them. The photo opportunity was completely by chance, and only the second I've been able to photograph. Well chuffed with it
Alan

PPG
Flickr

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 27/09/2011 - 12:10
Quote:
I have to agree, looking again that the chaffinch and woodpecker in particular are too bright

haven't you shot these in RAW? If not, why not? Would be easy to calm down there....

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Last Edited by bretti_kivi on 27/09/2011 - 12:11

Blythman

Link Posted 27/09/2011 - 12:14
bretti_kivi wrote:
Quote:
I have to agree, looking again that the chaffinch and woodpecker in particular are too bright

haven't you shot these in RAW? If not, why not? Would be easy to calm down there....

Bret

Yes, I have Bret, and you are right, it is something I can easily correct, and I will
Alan

PPG
Flickr

geordie01

Link Posted 27/09/2011 - 12:20
That,s a cracking tree creeper Alan looks like your weekend was better than mine, spent it installing a shower and cubicle in MY OWN HOUSE!!.Thought about putting up a couple of pics of it but when i saw your shots i did not bother Short Eared Owl beats a Triton any day

Blythman

Link Posted 27/09/2011 - 12:22
geordie01 wrote:
That,s a cracking tree creeper Alan looks like your weekend was better than mine, spent it installing a shower and cubicle in MY OWN HOUSE!!.Thought about putting up a couple of pics of it but when i saw your shots i did not bother Short Eared Owl beats a Triton any day

Get yourself along Geordie. Prestwick Carr (for the owls that is). Thanks for comments too. Would love to see your TRITON .. lol
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by Blythman on 27/09/2011 - 12:25
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.