My submissions to the Scott Kelby Photowalk

GivingTree

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:00
Our Fairhope photowalk leader allowed us to submit just two shots from the day.

My choices (c&c welcome as usual):

f/4, 28mm, 1/90sec

f/4.5, 40mm, 1/90sec
"Just put your eye to the camera and push the button-thingy."
Flickr page:
link

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:06
I like number 2 but not sure about number 1. I am not sure about the reflection. I like the colour of the pavement with the moss on the wall with the colour of the metal of the chair and table in number 2. But then again, I am a wildlife photographer and not a landscape(?) photographer so maybe I shouldn't comment

Malo1961

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:08
I like them both, but why is the last one cropped like it is?
It breaths such a quality. The detail on the wall, the undergrowth peeping through the tiles. It all falls together. If....only that chair wasn't cut-off. Please tell me you cropped it during PP and not in camera

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:09
The first one is a bit too busy for my taste.
I really love the simplicity and the combination of the colours in the second one. Wonderful.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I shall watch out for next years one in plenty of time.

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:10
Martin I like that crop - it adds a bit of interest, excitement to the photo.

Malo1961

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:14
I don't agree Gwyn. But...that's by no means something bad, is it?
Just a matter of taste, of course.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Snappycaz

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:18
For me the first one would have worked better if it were more focused on the reflection in the bubble gum machine or cropped to exclude some of the fussy background. Just an opinion. The second shot is very good, It has feeling & the crop does give the viewer the sense that somone has perhaps just got up & left the shot. I like it.
Caz
"IF YOU OBEY ALL THE RULES, YOU MISS ALL THE FUN." - KATHERINE HEPBURN

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:22
Malo1961 wrote:
I don't agree Gwyn. But...that's by no means something bad, is it?
Just a matter of taste, of course.

Martin.

Absolutely a matter of taste Martin. It's got us talking about it, in a civilised manner , so it can't be a bad thing

mikew

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:24
I like the crop on the second one as it creates tension. I think I'd have cropped it a little differently a tad more off the right but the green of the seat and the green on the wall and the weeds are very good. A bit of fiddling with levels would perhaps help too?

Good shot.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

davidtrout

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:26
No. 2 for me. I'm with Gwyn, I really like the abstract crop and the colour is superb. Apart from the matter of the crop I totally agree with Martin's remarks on this picture.
david
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

GivingTree

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 19:31
Thanks for the c&c everyone. Haven't submitted them yet, so I will pay close attention to your comments.

Malo1961 wrote:
Please tell me you cropped it during PP and not in camera

Martin.

Sorry, can't tell you that.
I thought it was too predictable to include the whole chair and the whole table, although I do wish I'd left more room at the top.

#1 is pretty busy, but I like the way the bookshelf melds with the building reflection, and the two other reflections in the gumball machine.
And of course, all those colors
Maybe it's a case of infatuation with what my eyes saw.....
Flickr page:
link

Mannesty

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 22:04
#2 is a better image than #1 in my opinion. Using a polariser would have reduced the reflections in the glass somewhat.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

pschlute

Link Posted 22/07/2009 - 22:32
I have to say I love the second one, crop and all (sorry Martin )

The two greens and two reds combine with the scrolls on the chairs to keep my eye moving about the picture.
Peter

My Flickr page

GivingTree

Link Posted 05/08/2009 - 16:57
Well the winner for the Fairhope, AL photowalk was announced:

winner

Needless to say, I didn't win. But that ok, it was fun and I'm pleased with the shots I took. I'd be interested in what this group has to say about that picture...

If you'd like to see winners from other cities you can visit the Worldwide Photowalk site and look for the list of participating cities. Somewhere on each, the winner (or a link to it) should be posted.
Enjoy!

worldwidephotowalk.com
Flickr page:
link

hefty1

Link Posted 05/08/2009 - 17:04
In all honesty I prefer your table and chair to the winner. Still, with all competitions you never know quite how the judge's mind works.
Joining the Q
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.