Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 00:30
I have to agree with Hefty too.

Even judges have off days
Peter

My Flickr page

Karl

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 05:36
No 1 looks like a snap gone wrong?

No 2 I would have kicked the chair and table out of the way and photographed the texture and detail on the wall.

BTW just my thoughts so no offence intended

pnjmcc

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 05:47
No.1 is just far to busy for me I just cant focus on the bubblegum machine withiout the reflextion disstracting me.

No.2 works for me with the cropped chair. I Like the detail in the green moss / algae and the patterns from the snails in it and the link of the greens through out it.

Well done.

Regards
PaulM
All cameras are equal but.....
Some are more equal than others

davidtrout

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 08:35
I'm with Hefty. Your chair photo is in a higher league than the winning frog Emily. I'm beginning to think I need new glasses. I commented on this picture when you posted it in the Gallery and said I preferred the crop in your first posting, here in the Forum. I've just looked at them both again and now I can't see any difference in the crop. Oops.
david
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 06/08/2009 - 08:36

paulyrichard

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 08:57
I really like the bubblegum machine shot. I like its social statement. Also there is a urbanscape doubly reflected within the scene and I find this interestin'.

I wouldn't have minded seein' a reflection of a person standin' idle or walkin' by, but I think this works either way. Nice one.
"Ifamericatoldthetruthforjustonedayitswholeworldwouldfallapart "
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Last Edited by paulyrichard on 06/08/2009 - 08:59

gartmore

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 09:54
I like them both for different reasons and certainly more than the winner. For me the first one is better in mono, it looks like something I might have done!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 10:28
I like the concept of no.1, perhaps something in the reflection which added more to the 'story' of the shot or created a more unusual juxtaposition would have worked even better. [As Paul suggests].

No. 2 I like a lot. The way the green of the algae complements the pink of the slabs, reflecting the colours of the furniture almost exactly, gives the shot an understated charm. The leaf [at bottom] bothers me slightly though, neither out nor in the frame.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

GivingTree

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 15:59
Thanks for all the comments.

After seeing the winner, it drove home the fact that art is subjective. The winner doesn't hold any appeal for me, but it does for the judge.

And that's ok.

gartmore wrote:
For me the first one is better in mono, it looks like something I might have done!

I'll have to try that!
"Just put your eye to the camera and push the button-thingy."
Flickr page:
link

paulyrichard

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 17:21
Could you post a link to the winners photo, out of interest?
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

hefty1

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 21:34
paulyrichard wrote:

It's in the penultimate post on the previous page of this thread - a picture of (I'm guessing) a garden ornament.
Joining the Q

titchgamer

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 21:53
Well I agree judge is obv having a bad day and agree with all the comments bout pic 2.

But I like pic 1.
Ime not sure why exactly but it has an aura of interest, I think its the whole reflections thing and having lots of images "merged" together.
Yes its busy but thats what I find interesting about it, picking out the other details in the pic other than the old bubblegum machine.

Just my opinion anyway....
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk

paulyrichard

Link Posted 06/08/2009 - 23:21
hefty1 wrote:
paulyrichard wrote:

It's in the penultimate post on the previous page of this thread - a picture of (I'm guessing) a garden ornament.

Thanks Hefty.

I really have a problem with that winnin' image. Its a nothin' shot, it goes without sayin' really, its absolutely terrible in my view.

Usually judges give a reason why for images that win, I bet they didn't for this.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.