My Pentax 21mm f3.2 Ltd

Horst

Link Posted 30/10/2015 - 05:32
Hi , I just bought a 21mmf3.2 limited lens from Ebay
It cost me 304.- Australian Dollars.
It was advertises as used, but like new. and it was like new. In its original box with all the relevant accessories and 1 year Australian Guarantee.

I have just tried it and i am super impressed by It. I am glad I bid on it.

Some of the reviews complained about the f3.2 aperture. it suits me fine.
i still haven't worked out why I need a faster lens of this focal length

Here is just one of a few pictures I took this afternoon. (as it was taken)

Regards, Horst

K10D

Link Posted 30/10/2015 - 06:50
It's a good lens.

Once you've worked out why you need a faster lens at that length, let me know. Others say it's for low light and some say for shallow DOF at minimum focus distances.

I'm happy with my copy.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

Horst

Link Posted 30/10/2015 - 07:16
you're right, i really don't think the idea of this type of lens is to take super close ups.

Also, the DOF automatically decreases by a large amount when getting close. Even at f 3.2 or around this value.

My previous used prime wide angle lens is the SMC-A 24mm f2.8.
I never used it at this large opening. mostly anywhere between f 5.6 and f11.

I personally found, that lens reviews are mostly useless. If you take the serious, you wouldn't buy any lens at all. Especially the comments about "soft, wide open" or "the edge sharpness is not as good as the centre ". Really, I never had any problem with the edge sharpness of any lens. manly because i couldn't care less about the far upper or lower edge. My eye goes to the centre, like in real life.

I also have the FA 77 f1.8 Ltd and you wouldn't believe some comments: " my only negative is: soft wide open" . What a useless comment for a mainly portrait lens.

to be honest, I personally haven't found a bad Pentax lens. But I may be a bit simple in my expectations.
I also refuse to photograph brick walls.

Regards, Horst

johnriley

Link Posted 30/10/2015 - 07:59
The choice is pretty clear - a compact high quality lens or a much larger wide aperture lens, which will be expensive if it's going to be equally high quality. Most wide angle lenses are used at smaller apertures, although on APS-C a 21mm is not particularly wide.
Best regards, John

kh1234567890

Link Posted 30/10/2015 - 09:26
Horst wrote:
I have just tried it and i am super impressed by It. I am glad I bid on it.

Some of the reviews complained about the f3.2 aperture. it suits me fine.
i still haven't worked out why I need a faster lens of this focal length

It grows on you. So much that after a while you can't let go of it - except if you also have the DA70.

The main thing is that it is actually sharp and usable wide open. I hate lenses which you have to 'stop down a bit'.

Have fun with it. I do.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/kh1234567890/tags/da21/
Flickr Stream

LawrenceKH

Link Posted 06/11/2015 - 11:29
Horst wrote:
you're right, i really don't think the idea of this type of lens is to take super close ups.

Also, the DOF automatically decreases by a large amount when getting close. Even at f 3.2 or around this value.

My previous used prime wide angle lens is the SMC-A 24mm f2.8.
I never used it at this large opening. mostly anywhere between f 5.6 and f11.

I personally found, that lens reviews are mostly useless. If you take the serious, you wouldn't buy any lens at all. Especially the comments about "soft, wide open" or "the edge sharpness is not as good as the centre ". Really, I never had any problem with the edge sharpness of any lens. manly because i couldn't care less about the far upper or lower edge. My eye goes to the centre, like in real life.

I also have the FA 77 f1.8 Ltd and you wouldn't believe some comments: " my only negative is: soft wide open" . What a useless comment for a mainly portrait lens.

to be honest, I personally have havn't found a bad Pentax lens. But I may be a bit simple in my expectations.
I also refuse to photograph brick walls.

Regards, Horst

Quite right! Agree almost completely! I do read the reviews but after using the lenses have grown to mistrust them. I recall especially the 18-135 review by Photozone. They hated it, but it is one of the most beloved lenses by Pentax users. I do occasionally notice soft edges when I am editing in Lightroom and will sometimes crop -- it all depends. If my focus is as you say on the centre it won't matter, but sometimes the photo won't have an attention grabbing centre in which case I'll crop or if it is too disturbing delete the photo.

I most recently acquired the 16-85 and notice as predicted the edge elongations at 16, but I've noticed the same thing at 18 on the 18-135 -- and I only noticed them because of reading reviews. Had I not read the review i would have been thinking entirely in terms of whether the photo worked or not.

Having said that, and as my lens collection grows, I've been thinking of making some crib notes for each lens -- reminding me for example that wide open on the 16-85 and 18-135 will provide some edge elongation at 16 an 18, reminding me in other words to move to 17 and 19 respectively. If a lens has been on the shelf a long time I'm not necessarily going to remember its peculiarities the next time I take it out. And if the reviews note that a lens is especially good or bad at some particular aperture, I may note that as well.

Lawrence
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.