Discontinued 100 & 18-135?


LawrenceKH

Link Posted 03/11/2015 - 18:09
A few days ago on Amazon I noticed they had listed the Pentax 100mm as being discontinued by manufacturer. This morning I noticed the same comment was being made about the Pentax 18-135. I mentioned the 100mm discontinuation on the Pentax DPreview forum and several doubted it was true although most speculated that it might be true perhaps because Pentax might be coming out with an improved 100mm. I began a search to see if I could find any information directly from Pentax but didn't find such a site. I did however find this site. Can anyone here shed any light on these mysterious discontinuations?

Lawrence

kea828

Link Posted 03/11/2015 - 18:22
LawrenceKH wrote:

I did however find this site. Can anyone here shed any light on these mysterious discontinuations?

Lawrence

Should there be a link somewhere?
Regards,
Kea828

LawrenceKH

Link Posted 03/11/2015 - 18:35
What sort of link? To Amazon? I didn't realize until after the fact that this was a UK forum. The Amazon I am quoting from is American. Maybe that clears up the link matter.

Lawrence

kea828

Link Posted 03/11/2015 - 21:42
OK. Given your response and after rereading your original message several times, I realise that your phrase 'this site' was probably referring to the PentaxUser forum.
Regards,
Kea828

johnriley

Link Posted 03/11/2015 - 22:14
Lenses come and go and sometimes discontinued ones last for a long time in the marketplace.

Probably one of the longest is the often reported as discontinued 50mm f/1.4 FA lens, which has been continuing for years. Probably it may now survive, given that a full frame DSLR is on the way.
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 03/11/2015 - 22:39
Link referred to: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-100mm-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0030GGS3O/ref=sr_1_...
This is the WR version of a lens originally designed for 35mm bodies and is still shown in the current line-up on the Pentax UK website (couldn't find the US site to compare)

johnriley

Link Posted 03/11/2015 - 23:45
It could simply mean an HD version is due out soon.
Best regards, John

Nakedgun

Link Posted 04/11/2015 - 04:50
This is not uncommon with Amazon sellers, as a bid to push you into a purchase. Ignore it.
"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin

Algernon

Link Posted 04/11/2015 - 08:33
It's not listed as discontinued. The older non WR 100mm is.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 04/11/2015 - 08:50
This problem seems quite common with Pentax, if not all photographic manufacturers. The FA 50/1.4 & 35/2 have been thought to be officially discontinued for years but can still be found new, although in the case of the 35mm that may be due to the exorbitant price it usually sells for.

Personally I'd ignore it, though as stated here, there's the "risk" that it indicates HD versions, which may come in at a higher price (at least initially).
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LawrenceKH

Link Posted 04/11/2015 - 10:02
Algernon wrote:
It's not listed as discontinued. The older non WR 100mm is.

--

The photo and the description show "WR." http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-100mm-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0030GGS3O/ref=sr_1_...

Lawrence

LawrenceKH

Link Posted 06/11/2015 - 22:14
LawrenceKH wrote:
A few days ago on Amazon I noticed they had listed the Pentax 100mm as being discontinued by manufacturer. This morning I noticed the same comment was being made about the Pentax 18-135. I mentioned the 100mm discontinuation on the Pentax DPreview forum and several doubted it was true although most speculated that it might be true perhaps because Pentax might be coming out with an improved 100mm. I began a search to see if I could find any information directly from Pentax but didn't find such a site. I did however find this site. Can anyone here shed any light on these mysterious discontinuations?

Lawrence

Amazon's ad indicated that they had only one 100mm WR left and continued to state that the manufacturer had discontinued the lens -- so I bought it.

Lawrence
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.