My LRPS Panel Submission

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 10:55
Hi All,

Been a while since I posted on PUF, seems the same friendly community I remember!

Some of the old regulars may well remember that I had been trying to put together a submission for my Licentiate Distinction at the Royal Photographic Society. I finally had the assessment day last week and was successful in being awarded my LRPS!

I'm chuffed to bits and didn't really know who to share the news with! Seeing as most of the images were shot back when I was using 35mm Pentax film cameras, 2 were on my *ist-D and the most recent one was from my K10D days (and two on my G9), I figured sharing the news on PUF was the most appropriate!

Attached is the hanging plan and you can see each of the images on my website here: Will Barton - LRPS Panel Submission

Cheers!

Will
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Last Edited by spirit_of_will on 30/01/2012 - 11:03

Gwyn

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 10:59
Congratulations Will.

Well deserved!

I hope you'll be here more often now - we can all learn a lot from members like you.

Edit: Your link in the thread leads back to this thread though

Edit 2 this is the correct link
Last Edited by Gwyn on 30/01/2012 - 11:02

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 11:02
Thanks Gwyn... I'll check and edit the link!
Spirit_of_will

My Flickr

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 11:11
Gwyn wrote:
Congratulations Will.

Well deserved!

I hope you'll be here more often now - we can all learn a lot from members like you.

Edit: Your link in the thread leads back to this thread though

Edit 2 this is the correct link

You got there at the same time with the edit as me Gwyn!

Thanks for your kind comments. There's plenty that I learned from hanging around here, always a good crowd and lots of banter. I've certainly not managed to find as good a community or feel as welcomed on other forums.

I might just have to log on more often but I sold all my Pentax DSLR gear just under 12 months ago and bought myself a 1Ds MkIII with the proceeds. Still on the odd occassion taking the 645nII out and I've also been shooting a few rolls of FP4 and PanF on one of my LX's... proper cameras!!!
Spirit_of_will

My Flickr

Gwyn

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 12:31
That doesn't matter Will - there are others here who are no longer Pentax users. It just means you can't post your photos here but have to provide a link.

grahamwalton

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 12:40
Well done and thanks for sharing with us.
Friendly Regards
Graham

Blythman

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 12:41
Congrats Will. Very well done
Alan

PPG
Flickr

fatspider

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 13:22
Congratulations Will
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 13:27
Thanks guys!

It's a really useful experience to go through putting a panel together. Worthwhile trying and the LRPS isn't really all that challenging to attain if you know your way around a camera well enough.
Spirit_of_will

My Flickr

davidtrout

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 13:37
Congratulations Will from another LRPS. I really like your panel.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 30/01/2012 - 13:38

davem

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 20:01
Well done Will, nice to see you come back home and celebrate

cabstar

Link Posted 01/02/2012 - 13:10
Thats a good body of work, well done.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

simonkit

Link Posted 01/02/2012 - 22:23
Congratulations Will, well deserved.

The LRPS is something I plan to have a go at too soon - it would be interesting to hear how you decided on the images in your panel and in which sequence to display them?

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 02/02/2012 - 12:48
simonkit wrote:
Congratulations Will, well deserved.

The LRPS is something I plan to have a go at too soon - it would be interesting to hear how you decided on the images in your panel and in which sequence to display them?

Simon

Hi Simon - Thanks for your comments. Images for the LRPS don't have to follow a specific theme, it can actually be 10 random images that show you know how to handle key photographic techniques.

However, that being said I think it's easier to pick things with a bit of a theme and it helps the panel flow a bit better.

The key thing to avoid is repetition, sitting through the assessment day I saw four Portrait Panels all fail to be recommended for the LRPS. All of the images were perfectly good and you could see the photographer(s) had some serious skill but it just didn't fit the brief. Repeated shots of the same model, or different models using the same lighting just don't cut it.

I settled on using some of my older travel work to select from. There's plenty of variety in travel photography - I've covered Portrait, Street Scenes, Abstract, Close-up and Action in my Panel. About the only thing that's not there is anything pure landscape which is what I do the most of. I must've kicked off with about 60-70 images printed onto 6x4 postcard size and chucked them on a table. Themes within a theme started to come out... and 60 images are cut down to about 15-20 and I finally settled on the final 10.

Typical layouts can be seen on the RPS website, 5 plus 5 in two rows is common but I just felt mine worked as 4 3 3 - some of the shapes hold your interest at the edges of the Panel and stop the eye wandering off, lines point inwards and colour triangles (stone colour and yellow/green) help to balance things.

I settled on this Panel about 18 months ago, sent some low res files on a CD for a pre-assessment and got some useful feedback mainly about colour balance and injecting some depth into the shot with the scooter and not losing the highights in the surfer shot. Since then I've just been waiting for the assessment dates to come out and jumped onto the first date that was free.

I need to work out what to do for my A Panel now...
Spirit_of_will

My Flickr

timbo

Link Posted 08/02/2012 - 20:47
Very well done Will, super panel and well above LRPS standard in my opinion.
Tim

http://www.timpile.co.uk
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.