My K10D Has Landed!

Argee

Link Posted 18/12/2006 - 17:45
Picked it up this afternoon - still got the battery in the charger. An opportunity to install software, read the manual, etc. Feels nice and solid - very exciting to have one at last. I'll add to this thread as events progress.

Ray.

Prieni

Link Posted 18/12/2006 - 18:30
Congrats! Seems Santa came a bit early to you...

fatspider

Link Posted 18/12/2006 - 18:50
If that had been me the wife would have snatched it out of my hands as soon as I walked through the door, then wrapped it up and put it under the chritmas tree
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Argee

Link Posted 18/12/2006 - 19:02
There's a little more to the saga than I first posted. I've been on the camera dealer's "notify" list for a while and was notified today. I had just been checking their web pages, where the camera was shown (with lens attached) for a price. When clicking on the "Specifications" tab, I saw that the box contained the body, DA 18/55MM lens, leads, battery, charger, software.

I checked that this is what I was getting, but was told "No, sorry, that's a mistake, it's body only for that price." Now, I accept that the DA 18/55MM lens may not be a "best in class," but it would have been something made for the unit to hang on the front (the dealer had no stock of that lens anyway).

I've got two KAF lenses from my Z1 that will fit, but with some penalties regarding focal lengths, features, etc. What I found really annoying, though, was that inside the box, attached to the plastic cover of the manual, was a barcode label that read "1909500 K10D + DA 18/55mm"

On the outside of the box was another barcode label, reading simply "19095." I'm not sure whether I can make any sort of fuss, but I doubt it.

The battery's just finished in the charger, BTW, so I'm off to play now!

Ray.

dexteruk

Link Posted 18/12/2006 - 21:19
Argee wrote:
What I found really annoying, though, was that inside the box, attached to the plastic cover of the manual, was a barcode label that read "1909500 K10D + DA 18/55mm"

Ray.

Which dealer was it from? sounds like they were taking the mick a bit with that one

johnriley

Link Posted 18/12/2006 - 22:16
Perhaps you could offer them the opportunity to put things right? They might do so, they might not, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Best regards, John

McBrian

Link Posted 18/12/2006 - 22:28
Argee wrote:
Picked it up this afternoon - still got the battery in the charger. An opportunity to install software, read the manual, etc. Feels nice and solid - very exciting to have one at last. I'll add to this thread as events progress.
Ray.

I'm jealous (but only for a day....I hope), seems SRS only got 9 delivered today and guess what......I was No 10 on the list Hope to receive an early call from Chris tomorrow (CC is primed and ready).
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

Joshua Hakin

Link Posted 18/12/2006 - 22:42
Argee wrote:

Ray.

LOL that's exactly what I did... settled in to read the manual and wait for the battery!

Have fun, and I look forward to seeing some shots!

MattMatic

Link Posted 19/12/2006 - 12:42
Was just fishing around for K10D sample images and came across this:
http://www.pbase.com/image/71177208

Some great images in there!

Can't wait until tomorrow

Matt

Argee

Link Posted 19/12/2006 - 17:10
Here's one I did on the way home today.

It's a jpeg image, extracted from a RAW taken using

Pentax FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 lens, fully zoomed.
1/125 sec at F8 using Shutter & Aperture Priority Automatic Exposure mode.
Multi-segmented metering, Auto WB, RAW format at 400 Sensitivity.

http://www.raygirling.com/images/k10dsun.jpg

I'm quite pleased with it.

Ray.

Ammonyte

Link Posted 19/12/2006 - 18:05
Picked up my K10D from SRS this afternoon. Nice to meet Chris and his team. By a weird co-incidence the Nikon rep had chosen today to call (and was looking a little bit sick!)

Just charging the battery and reading the manual like everyone else. It feels a nice sturdy bit of kit, however................ what a rubbish strap Pentax put in the box! I have changed it for my Op/Tech strap. Is this why we never see people with "Pentax" round their necks and get the impression that Kanikon rules the world?

When finances recover I'll be back to see Chris about a couple of lenses (Watford traffic not withstanding!)
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

McBrian

Link Posted 19/12/2006 - 18:15
MattMatic wrote:
Was just fishing around for K10D sample images and came across this:
http://www.pbase.com/image/71177208

Some great images in there!

Marc is a infrequent contributor (busy man) to the Pentax forum over at DPR, goes by the handle of Marc Dimo, he works as a pro in the Pacific covering Surfing competitions as well as other photo journalistic things, he work excusively with Pentax gear (he's got an FA600 , I have him tagged as one of my favourite photographers in Pbase along with a guy who goes by the handle .Sam (former Canon user), these guy's are pretty inspiring and show just what Pentax gear is capable of producing.

My K10D c/w grip is on it's way (will be a restless night)
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

amilner

Link Posted 20/12/2006 - 09:47
Got mine too (yesterday) - they seem to be flying out the door in Park Cameras. Not had much chance to test it yet but initial impressions are very good.
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner

MattMatic

Link Posted 20/12/2006 - 12:33
Mine just arrived, along with my 24-90 that was in for repair.

Oh happy days

Just cannot believe how fast the thing is compared to the *ist-D on RAW
Some of the custom features are excellent - like being able to set the range for auto ISO. Brilliant

Just the manual WB is a bit fiddly, but a lot easier than the Canon system But notice the "Check" function when choosing WB - just flip the power dial to the DoF preview setting, and it'll take a shot and show you how it looks.

Now I've just got to escape and go shooting

Matt

MattMatic

Link Posted 20/12/2006 - 15:32
I am completely blown away by the image quality and dynamic range on this beast

I've overexposed two stops and still had detail in the highlights, and underexposed by several stops and raked all the data out of the shadows with no discernible noise at ISO100. Absolutely fabulous! The histogram is a really good guide and what I've noticed is that I'm not clipping nearly as much as with the *ist-D.
Shooting straight into the sun still retains detail around the clipped area, and it's so much more like film!

The image quality is slightly different to the *ist-D in RAW, but I don't think it will take long to get to grips with it. The processing is slightly slower in Silkypix (larger image size), but that's not a big problem. It feels like the colour response is very different (maybe less linear) than the *ist-D, and that too, I suspose will need some getting used to.

Just so you can see what I mean, I've processed my first batch in SPDS3 and put them here on PBase so you can have a look!

Got some serious shots coming up in the next few days, plus some studio flash work so it'll be interesting to see how it all copes - I'll keep you posted

Matt

PS Gradually getting used to the shutter's "electronic sneeze"
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.