Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

My first wedding shoot!

RobE17
Posted 25/05/2010 - 10:05 Link
I've been asked by a colleague at work to take photos of her wedding in August next year

It's my first one so I'll be doing plenty of research beforehand to make sure I do a good job! I'll have a search on the forum for previous threads relating to weddings but can anyone recommend any books,websites, etc that might be useful?

Possibly another excuse to look for another lens...

Rob
terje-l
Posted 25/05/2010 - 10:12 Link
Scott Kelby has some very useful tips in his Digital Photography series. Check amazon.co.uk
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
vic cross
Posted 25/05/2010 - 16:28 Link
See OMG first wedding shoot. In Flash Photography forum. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
jon.dc
Posted 25/05/2010 - 17:17 Link
Have a look to see if any local wedding photographers are looking for second shooters. Its one of the best ways to get some experience. You can often find adverts on http://www.photographers.co.uk/html/photography-jobs.cfm?VacantWanted=V
RobE17
Posted 26/05/2010 - 10:27 Link
Thanks for all your advice, in particular the link to that site John - very useful

Rob
RobE17
Posted 19/12/2010 - 21:53 Link
In fact my first wedding shoot will be on Thursday this week and in all likelihood there will be snow and lots of it. Is there anything I should be aware of when taking the photos, in particular the exposure? I understand that I will have to over expose by +1 or +2 so that the snow is white but I will also be using on-camera flash with my Pentax K-7. The Groom and other male guests will be wearing all black.

If I'm using flash is the snow going to cause me major problems??

I'm fairly comfortable with my settings on the whole as I have spent some time preparing for it - hope it all goes to plan now

Rob
johnriley
Posted 19/12/2010 - 22:12 Link
Don't overdo the exposure increase - depending upon the shot even +0.5EV might be enough. Add flash to that and things could get tricky. If you get there early perhaps a few test shots will establish the way to go.
Best regards, John
pentaxian450
Posted 20/12/2010 - 01:00 Link
Actually, using the flash for the outside shots with the groom will lower the contrast and give more details to the groom's suit, if said suit is very dark. It will work wonder to balance the exposure of the groom with the snowy background. But, as John said, don't overdo it with the exposure compensation.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
gartmore
Posted 20/12/2010 - 08:30 Link
As John says, do a few test shots but if you are asking such basic questions do you really think you are ready for this?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
RobE17
Posted 20/12/2010 - 09:00 Link
Thanks for all your advice so far.

In answer to Ken's post, I think I am ready for this as I have done a lot of test shots already at the venue which I am happy with, I was after some advice about using flash when there is snow present and how that may affect the exposure of the images.

I wasn't expecting the weather to turn out like it has and haven't used the combination of flash and snow before.

Thanks

Rob
vic cross
Posted 20/12/2010 - 10:42 Link
Unlike the human eye the camera sensor gets very confused when confronted with black (suit) and white (brides dress) let alone the added snow. The old way of taking the exposure from a grey card and setting the exposure manually works, also taking a reading in front of the subject with a light meter to get the light falling on the subject instead of reflecting from it and setting manually works. The flash outdoors should be used for fill in for the shadows in the eyes under the ladies large hat brims and as Yves says it will bring a bit more detail into the black suit. Of course that was all in the days of film. Now you have the advantage of checking your monitor after test shots and adjusting accordingly. Happy Shooting and Merry Christmas CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
edumad
Posted 20/12/2010 - 11:52 Link
Shoot RAW, it will help you compensate any exposure and noise problems later.
womble
Posted 20/12/2010 - 18:33 Link
Check your histogram as often as you can. The first few shots will probably be enough. Don't trust your eyes and the preview image to judge exposure.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.