My first *ist-D Sample Photos

Joshua Hakin

Link Posted 14/10/2003 - 22:30
MattMatic wrote:
Lurach,

...and to answer the previous Guest post on 18-35mm (on behalf of Shotgun)... The lens has a focal length of 18-35mm on both digital and 35mm.

Matt

Hi, I posted the original question, but I should rephrase:
Is the 18mm an actual 18mm when used on 35mm?

MattMatic

Link Posted 14/10/2003 - 22:53
Joshua,

Yes, the 18mm FAJ is an actual 18mm on a 35mm SLR. Focal length is focal length I'm sorry but you won't get 12mm on a 35mm SLR. Remember that focal length dictates the distance between the "film" - which has to be the same for 35mm and digital (otherwise they'd all be blurred on the digital).

The FAJ lenses fit the *ist (35mm SLR) too, don't forget, and the spec on them is the same. Don't get confused (as some seem to have done) that the 18-35 FAJ lens is in someway specifically for the *istD. They just released the products at the same time.

The bottom line is, getting a really wide angle of view out the *istD is difficult (as it is on the Canon 10D, D30, D60, Nikon D100, Fuji S2 etc). I have a 20-35mm Tokina which works quite well, but in many ways I miss the craziness of the 20mm-on-35mm-SLR field of view.

That said, you do get better telephoto.

Hope that clarifies the matter,
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Lurach

Link Posted 15/10/2003 - 20:00
The following questions are probably directed more at Pentax personnel rather than users.

Has any provision been made for the delivery of any future firmware upgrades for the *ist D, e.g. will upgrades be available for download and, if so, from what site? A quick visit to the Pentax UK and Pentax USA sites this morning didn't show up any firmware download locations for existing digitals - unless I missed them.

One aspect of the *ist D that I "glanced over" but didn't really register on the mind until now is the fact that the lowest ISO setting on the *ist D is 200, a setting shared with some other digital SLRs. I presume the ISO range is a product of the hardware itself and therefore not extendable by a firmware upgrade. I must admit that on the little Canon S40 I tend to leave it at a setting of 50, only moving upwards where I deem it necessary. One of the great advantages of variable digital ISO "stock". (Maybe this is just a case of old habits die hard.)

Has anybody found the the lack of a lower ISO range to be a problem?
Lurach

MattMatic

Link Posted 15/10/2003 - 22:55
Lurach,

To answer at least one of your questions... there is an FAQ page on the Japanese Pentax web site, and thanks to Altavista's Babelfish, this is what it said:
Quote:

Is the fact that ISO sensitivity is from 200 why?
As for the CCD which has been used with the *istD being the sensitivity ISO200 suitable, in order to be able to pull out the highest efficiency, we to be designed, when the ISO100 and the like you drop sensitivity unreasonably suitably, because you cannot obtain sufficient picture quality, is.

So far, so good. I've not found a problem. It's really nice going up to 3200 though. It's particularly good with NeatImage (see my other post). If you need ISO50, buy an 2-stop neutral density filter
The automatic ISO sensitivity option is very cute though... much easier than the S30/S40 which is manual change only (or auto on ISO50 and ISO100 only).

Firmware upgrades - certainly possible. Where from? Well who knows - Pentax web site updates do seem a little on the slow side

Oh yes, and the AF280T question (again Babelfished):
Quote:

Are the automatic Strobo AF280T and the AF400T et cetera enabled?
You can use.

These are all niggly questions, indeed. When you've got one you'll be too busy taking pictures to worry overly

Matt

Anonymous

Link Posted 17/10/2003 - 11:51
Hello all!!

I was away for a while due to an extremely tight schedule and deadlines at the office (you know I.T. work ). I came back to visit the forums and wow... how lively the discussion was!! I've noted a lot of useful info from the last several posts.

To the guest who addresses a question to me regarding the FA J18-35mm, I thank Matt for being so kind enough to provide answer on my behalf. I would answer the same way!

Later guys... gotta go back to work

Anonymous

Link Posted 19/10/2003 - 16:19
I've decided to buy an ist D (it will be my first digital camera) and I'm just waiting that it arrives to Portugal.
I'm using a pentax gear for 27 years now and I have a K2, a Z1 and a PZ-1p. Also have several old Pentax SMC manual prime lenses and 4 AF Sigma EX lenses (17-35; 105;28-70 and 70-200).
But for I 've read on your postings I should buy together with the ist D camera the new 18-35 zoom in order to get wide angle shots.
But has it the same quality as the Sigma EX 17-35?
And should this new 18-35 zoom work with my old manual K2?

Thankyou all?

Anonymous

Link Posted 19/10/2003 - 16:35
Hello all
I've decided to buy an ist D (it will be my first digital camera) and I'm just waiting that it arrives to Portugal.
I'm using a pentax gear for 27 years now and I have a K2, a Z1 and a PZ-1p. Also have several old Pentax SMC manual prime lenses and 4 AF Sigma EX lenses (17-35; 105;28-70 and 70-200) and an FTZ500 flash.
But for I 've read on your postings I should buy together with the ist D camera the new 18-35 zoom in order to get wide angle shots.
But has it the same quality as the Sigma EX 17-35?
And should this new 18-35 zoom work with my old manual K2?
And what about the AF FTZ500 flash. Will it work on the ist D as it works on the Z1?

Thankyou all
Joaquim

MattMatic

Link Posted 20/10/2003 - 14:09
Joaquim,

I've answered (most of) your questions on a new thread:
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/ftopic224.html

(This thread was going off topic and getting out of hand )

Matt
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.