My first *ist-D Sample Photos

MattMatic

Link Posted 08/10/2003 - 15:56
FYI, there's a lithium "coin" cell that keeps the time when the AA cells are replaced. You'll find it on the base of the *istD. You'll have to change it eventually

BTW, Malcomk, thanks for the "sticky-tape" suggestion. Do you have a gallery of samples yet??

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

malcolmk

Link Posted 08/10/2003 - 17:24
A meter said the cell on the first camera was totally dead. I expected a new battery would fix the problem and I'd been unlucky enough to be issued with a dud one. However the dealer (and I) soon saw this was not the case, a new battery didn't help and the time was lost every time the AA battery compartment was flipped open.

As for a gallery... You might not see this as entirely sensible but...

I accumulated a good set of Pentax gear in the seventies and early eighties but bought nothing since. Not kept up with the photo scene either. The old body became unreliable and I've not taken a photo for the last five years. This has left a gaping hole in family history if nothing else and I got to thinking it was a shame and decided I must buy a new camera.

I borrowed for a short time a total of three P&S digitals and hated them. Too slow and fiddly to use and no control. Not satisfying to use at all. So I jumped up the scale a few notches and got the ist D as it was nice and small and the old lenses fitted even if not ideally. I had six M primes and one A zoom.

I'm feeling my way at present and realising just how much I have forgotten and how much technology has moved on. However I didn't find it too difficult to use the M lenses which was nice though it's a shame my twenty year old AF400T flash doesn't seem to work on batteries any more. But overall I'm more than pleased with the ist D even if I'm only taking a few snaps at this stage. I suppose the one thing that I find not so good is that the new 18-35 lens I bought with it is more akin to a pinhole than my old wide aperture primes and the viewfinder seems a bit dim.

MattMatic

Link Posted 08/10/2003 - 21:02
Malcolm,

Your answer is entirely sensible
I'm sure you'll have fun catching up - especially now with cutting technology.

With your AF400 - have you had a good look at the battery contacts? They've probably corroded a little. If they're not shiny, you can get these neat little glass-fibre pencils (Maplin's sell them and places like Halfords) for contact cleaning - a gentle rub might make a difference. Not too hard, though, because you could take off the plating.

Enjoy your *istD
Matt

malcolmk

Link Posted 08/10/2003 - 21:18
A meter shows a voltage on the battery terminals but they either don't make contact with the shaft of the 400 or its electronics have failed. The mains adaptor works just fine. A good excuse for a 360FGZ perhaps?

I'm surprised the 400 has never been updated. It must be around 22 years since I bought mine. In fact there's a lot of things that surprise me about Pentax in 2003. The 1980 lens catalogue seems much more interesting to me.

MattMatic

Link Posted 08/10/2003 - 21:55
Malcolm,

Owning both an *istD and an AF360, I would be inclined to say go for the AF360
Wireless and digital is a wonderful combination - no leads, no limits, perfect exposure (can't bust it yet!!), and to my mind a better built unit. If you're in any doubt, check out my very quick flash test: www.pbase.com/mattmatic/istd_360 - you should see what I mean.

Still, if you can get the AF400 fixed cost-effectively, it'll be even better having two flashes (www.asahiphoto.net are a pleasant company to deal with - give them a call).

Matt.

Anonymous

Link Posted 08/10/2003 - 23:07
Hey Shotgun!

I see you are using the PENTAX FA J 18-35mm F4-5.6AL...
So is that 18mm on a 35mm camera or on the digi? I was wondering...

Anonymous

Link Posted 11/10/2003 - 13:01
Hi all,

Glad to see you're all enjoying the "D" so far. (How I wish they had called it something else - feel a bit daft trying to get my mouth around "ist D" - Is he what sir??)

Thanks for the comments about the card removal. Any other peculiarities so far?

The camera has just been released here in Republic of Ireland in the last 24 hours. Have not yet succeeded in getting "List" prices from distributor. However first dealer quote was equivalent of approx 1250 Sterling for body only and 1550 Sterling for body and lense. Whatever about body only price, the difference between body only and body/lense price strikes me as being a bit off the wall. Don't know if dealer is "trying it on" i.e. this guy has been in a few times, so must be keen, therefore will pay any price" Not so I'm afraid - no VAT refunds for me!!!

Regards to all and have fun "snapping"

Lurach

MattMatic

Link Posted 11/10/2003 - 22:01
Lurach,

...istD camera that istD great fun to use

So far, so good. The only peculiarity is the amount of images I'm taking right now Battery life is splendid - I'm using 2200mAh batteries (from 7dayshop). Flash exposure is spot on. Autofocus is fast. I only have a few minor niggles about the way the menus have been laid out, but then that's probably largely personal opinion.

Well, actually there is one thing I found. Shot 400 images in two weeks, then revisited some Fuji NPS negatives with the Nikon Coolscan IV. I had to scan them twice because I thought there was something wrong - so much grain!! I've got so used to the silky digital, and haven't been bothering with NeatImage at all for the istD. It was a real shock going back to 35mm negative.

...and to answer the previous Guest post on 18-35mm (on behalf of Shotgun)... The lens has a focal length of 18-35mm on both digital and 35mm. It's just that the digital sensor is a middle-crop of a 35mm frame, so it appears to be 1.5x closer. If you needed an angle of view on the *istD that was the same as an 18mm on a 35mm camera you would need a 12mm lens Remember, the focal length does not change (for the purpose of depth of field, lenses etc), it is just a crop. Hope that makes sense - it's a subject that's been causing great confusion

Anyway, my PBase account is rapidly bloating. It'll soon be time to organise them more effectively. I'll look forward to some images, Lurach. Oh yes, and Peter, I'm definitely going to be submitting some for the PUM next issue

Matt

Lurach

Link Posted 13/10/2003 - 20:56
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the information.

I've just had the "list" prices confirmed for here in Republic of Ireland - marginally dearer than the UK equivalents. So, I suppose as a non-professional and, with a wife and three "chisellers", I'll have to do some serious negotiating. (The shop doesn't bother me - but negotiating with the "Ministress of Finance"!!! .)

As a matter of interest, and this may seem like a funny question, have you - or anybody else for that matter - any comment on "shutter-lag". I ask this because, when using the little Canon S40 at, say, the childrens' sports days, there could often be a sufficient delay to ruin a shot, i.e. a shot that should have been of a player kicking the ball often turned out to be a shot of a foot in the air after the ball had departed. (The sort of shot that you could anticipate and shoot with a fair degree of confidence with the 35mm SLR.) I would like to think that for 1300-odd lag should not be a problem.

Well, I hope to see one in the next day or two so, if nothing else, I might be able to report that I actually held one in my hands

Regards to all.
Lurach

MattMatic

Link Posted 13/10/2003 - 21:47
Lurach,

Shutter lag... what lag?? I've have the S30 and it's painfully annoying. It's autofocus is the main problem.

The *istD, on the other hand, is as quick as my Z1 - lightning. You can just rattle off the shots, and it feels very, very responsive. Obviously ambient light plays a part - it hunts a little in darker rooms, but that's to be expected. If you use the flash then it fires bursts of flash to assist the autofocus mechanism (which is a bit of a surprise at first). If you have the AF360FGZ connected physically (ie not in wireless mode), then the AF lamp will come on, projecting a nice little image that helps the autofocus. Being digital you can clock off 20 or 30 shots without worrying about the cost - then go back and throw away the duffers (this is good for shooting kids).

It is also really quick at starting up, even with a microdrive. Something like 1.5 seconds from powerup. Generally it is "shoot priority", like the S40 (although there are a few exceptions - when setting ISO for instance).

There's an excellent custom function that allows the *istD to auto-boost the ISO rating from where you have it set. For example, set it to ISO200 and enable the feature. Then, when the shot is a little too dark, making the shutter speed in the "shake" zone, it'll whack up the ISO until it's out of the shake zone. That's from 200 to 1600, or 200 to 3200 ISO. Additionally, if you have it set to ISO800 (for example), and the shutter speed exceeds 1/4000, it will click the ISO down. That's really neat

Just to sum up - you cannot compare the S30/S40 to the *istD The *istD is in a different league

As far as the "Ministress of Finance" goes, I can't help much on that score All I can say is check out a couple of the "cute" images on my PBase site (I too have 3 nippers). http://www.pbase.com/image/22189115 , http://www.pbase.com/image/21799589 , http://www.pbase.com/image/21920002. I have taken some of school friends too (which I cannot put on the web) and I was more than pleasantly surprised with the result - printed out on decent Epson paper.

Just don't hold one until you can afford it... 'cause you'll want it

Matt

Lurach

Link Posted 14/10/2003 - 00:17
Hello Matt,

Many thanks for the info. Unfortunately it just keeps making things worse - i.e. all the more enticing. Yes, I agree with your final comment about the dangers of holding one in the hand, however, one has to be of stout resolve in situations like this - well for a few seconds at least.

I visited you site over the last day or two and was very taken by "After the tantrum" (Looks like the effect a couple of Pepsis on the rocks have on me!!! ) My own youngest little lady (7) has had me there a few times.

I must thank you, and others, for all the information you have supplied over last while. If you're handing out serious loot for an item like the *ist D it's great to be able to gain from other peoples experience - even if you do believe that the Pentax name is a good enough guarantee of satisfaction. The comments/tip about the loss of time are the sort of little things you probably wouldn't think about in the excitement of holding one in the hands but now it's something we know to check when/if buying.

Well, maybe I'll let you know how things go over the next while and I'll try not to come up with too many more queries!!

All the best.
Lurach

MattMatic

Link Posted 14/10/2003 - 10:30
Lurach,

I'm not sure what you meant by the "loss of time"... perhaps I didn't make it clear enough - the *istD is fabulously fast (and the S30/40 are a pain)

Using the *istD is like using any other of the excellent Pentax bodies... it just doesn't use film.

(I am feeling your pain, Lurach )

Matt

Lurach

Link Posted 14/10/2003 - 15:48
Sorry Matt,

It was I who didn't make myself clear enough. The reference to "loss of time" was in connection with Malcolm's post about two bodies losing the time when the AA batteries were removed and your pointing out about the pancake battery in the base. It's something else to check out when buying.

OK did you notice that "when buying" bit? I spent this morning visiting one or two dealers that I had been made aware had received the *ist D into stock. And I must say I was impressed. I know Pentax are renowned for their "smallest body" claims but this one is amazing. I have a fairly small hand and the camera was a very comfortable fit indeed. Lovely build and as for features - well, you know all that don't you . However as for some sales staff's knowledge - I know it's a new model etc, but!!

As a matter of interest I mentioned to the sales assistant that I had an AF280T flash unit. "No good - won't work" sez he "Need to buy a digital gun!!" Have you, or anybody else, any comment on that Matt. I can accept that you are not going to get the full benefit from the AF280T but I would assume that you would at least get a very basic function - or is he right? The same fellow also tried to convince me that the accompanying lens was "specially built for the digital body to give a 1:1 image ratio" Then he quoted a price 100 Euro dearer than he quoted last week - and I thought his original quote was excessive . . I just bit my tongue and said nothing.

Then on to the last part of my plan. I have an acquaintance from way back in the trade, and when I have done all the leg work and let the other dealers do all the demo-ing etc I ask him for a price and he invariably does a good deal. When I returned home, the domestic negotiations were a bit fraught. But when I said that my friendly dealer was throwing in a free case - well that clinched it!! I was told I would be mad to turn down an offer like that

So there we are. Hopefully, by the middle of next week, I'll have one in my hand for keeps. I know there are one or two questions missing in the back of my mind but if I think of them later I'll post them.

Best wishes
Lurach

MattMatic

Link Posted 14/10/2003 - 16:32
Lurach,

It's quite alright... I get confused sometimes too (late night postings etc)

What on earth was the salesman on about??! The FAJ lense is only different in that it has no aperture dial. "1:1 image ratio" my foot

I am sure the AF280T will work. Your only downside is that it will "only" work in TTL mode. It'll be at least as good as your 35mm SLR, if not better. The advantage you get with the AF360FGZ is the P-TTL mode where the flash fires a small pre-burst, the *istD meters with 16-segment mode, then adjusts the main flash - it gives a more accurate exposure, especially under difficult situations. The AF360/*istD is a formidable pair. I will check the manual and let you know what level of compatibility you'll get with the AF280T

However, the built in flash is absolutely amazing too when it comes to fill-in flash (because it works in P-TTL mode). I took some during late afternoon with the kids - very close shots - and all were perfectly exposed and had a very natural look.

Pentax have, I feel, bent over backwards for compatibility. It's a real joy to switch between bodies and PAF-lenses and not worry about compatibility. Admittedly that may be more of an issue with other lenses - but I can't comment as I have none

Oh yes, just get yourself some decent NiMH batteries (I bought a Hama delta-charger and 4x2200mAh batteries from 7dayshop for about 1. The Lithium batteries are expensive, but useful as an emergency.

It'll be another worry that you'll lose the *istD to your wife...

Enjoy!
Matt

Anonymous

Link Posted 14/10/2003 - 21:00
Has anybody found any restrictions yet with lenses? I have KAF and am hoping the autofocus will still work.

Mark
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.