Murmuration

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 16/07/2020 - 12:57
Hi all... was down on the Somerset Levels earlier this year. RSPB HAM Wall. Brought back these. Mixture of standard and ICM. All K1ii and PLM 55-300.

All thoughts, comments, observations etc. gratefully received as ever...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Benz3ne

Link Posted 16/07/2020 - 12:59
One thought, comment, etc., expressed as below...

...Wow.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 16/07/2020 - 13:07
Nature and art - amazing!!

And lucky. Every time I've been to Ham Wall, the starlings have either been settling elsewhere or going straight down with minimal murmurating .

Steve

takuman

Link Posted 16/07/2020 - 14:34
No. 1 for me. On a wall.
Just passing thru

stub

Link Posted 16/07/2020 - 16:40
Yes, I've never been one for bird photo's. But here, I certainly wish I had taken no1. Always thought the 55-300mm lens was a very underrated one. In which ever guise its purchased in...

4 & 5 arnt far behind, either....!!

Lovely set.
Well done, Bill...!
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

bforbes

Link Posted 16/07/2020 - 20:08
It seems you are unable to produce anything but stunning images
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

pschlute

Link Posted 16/07/2020 - 20:34
I think I saw these on FB recently. Stunning Bill
Peter

My Flickr page

Daronl

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 09:23
Marvellous captures
Marvellous photo art
Marvellous photo craft
Daronl

Nigelk

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 11:16
No.1 is lovely but 2 steals the show for me, just that small amount of tree and a building to ground the image and simply beautiful. Nos 4 and 5 whilst pleasing images to view have lost the murmuration to my eye. No.6 although not obvious I think is great. So 2 and 6 for me please Bill from another cracking set.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 17:42
These are brilliant Bill. Beautifully captured and the ICM style definitely works with the subject.

I know not what 'art' is but these look like it to me.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

RobL

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 20:13
I almost didnít bother looking as when you have seen one murmuration you have seen them all - how wrong I was! These are on another level (if you pardon the pun), very beautiful compositions.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 19/07/2020 - 11:05
Thanks Ben, Steve, John, Stu, Barrie, Peter, Daron, Nigel K, Nigel C, Rob for thoughts, comments, obs etc..

Steve, yes, know exactly what you mean... it's always a bit hit and miss as to where/when/how many/if at all... had them literally decending on top of us on our first visit 7 years or so ago, which was astonishing... various stages in between ever since... these were actually quite a long way away, but was able to reach them via the 55-300...

Stu, yes, love the 55-300... as you say, in whichever version... much underrated and packs quite a punch in a very compact body... always part of my travel kit...

Cheers Barrie... rest assured have plenty of rubbish on my SD card, just try my best not to post it!

Nigel K... thanks for thoughts re 4 and 5... yes, interesting... one of those occasions when you probably need the set I think to provide the context...

Nigel C... yes, we only generally go once or twice a year... had had a thought about what would happen if I tried ICM on a murmuration the last time we'd been, so had been itching to get back for a while...

Rob, thanks for thoughts re composition... very much came from the conditions of the evening... very flat light and low cloud, and the murmuration happening at distance... leant itself to a slightly more minimalist approach...

Thanks again all for all thoughts and comments... always appreciated...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

RobL

Link Posted 19/07/2020 - 13:18
What I really like is the limited colour palette with the wheat coloured grass and in no.5 the ochre colour in the sky, making a nice mix with the dark trees and birds. You have taken the flat light in these and turned it to advantage in making nice textural images.

Nigelk

Link Posted 19/07/2020 - 16:55
RobL wrote:
What I really like is the limited colour palette with the wheat coloured grass and in no.5 the ochre colour in the sky, making a nice mix with the dark trees and birds. You have taken the flat light in these and turned it to advantage in making nice textural images.

Well put, totally agree

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 20/07/2020 - 09:44
Awesome as usual!

No.1 all day long is a winner for some animal / landscape photo comp!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.