Rochefort

Sry

Link Posted 19/07/2020 - 22:08
Hello all, We spend some time every year in Rochefort (north of Bordeaux, close to La Rochelle), I for a few days off, my wife for three weeks' water cure. The city has a particular feel to it, as it used to be one of France's main military arsenals; it was also the setting for Jacques Demy's film 'Les Demoiselles de Rochefort'. Image-wise, I tend to look for the 'off-site' possibilities, and was happy to find a rather discreet path behind what used to be the naval medical school, now a decrepit old closed-off building (I was looking for a way into the grounds - no luck though). A local resident soaked up most of my time, but now I know I need to explore the place more, as he told me it is scheduled to make way to a fairly large thoroughfare sometime in the future...

I'll be going back next week, and I do have a backlog of photos from the city - I'll be digging around to see if I can come up with another coherent set or two (maybe even something recognizable as being Rochefort!). Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Serge

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 20/07/2020 - 09:43
I think 1, 2 and 4 are well seen
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Sry

Link Posted 20/07/2020 - 21:59
Cheers, Gareth

Sry

Link Posted 20/07/2020 - 22:06
I'll tack on a few from last year, had some fun with shadows...

pschlute

Link Posted 21/07/2020 - 03:57
That number 7 is interesting. Looks like a piece of graffiti art by Miro !
Peter

My Flickr page

LennyBloke

Link Posted 21/07/2020 - 16:40
I always enjoy your work Serge, and these are no exception - you don't look for the obvious shots and are willing to experiment with light and shade in your compositions. If I had to choose a favourite it would be no.8 - bet it would look good large on a wall
LennyBloke

Sry

Link Posted 21/07/2020 - 21:05
Thanks, Peter, Lenny.

pschlute wrote:
Looks like a piece of graffiti art by Miro !

It does indeed, in a way. I guess the coulours were too far off for me to make the connection...

LennyBloke wrote:
you don't look for the obvious shots

I must confess, some versions of 'not obvious' are becoming rather obvious to me - so the search is never-ending

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 23/07/2020 - 10:10
Very well seen as per, Serge... great ‘off-piste’ set... you really do get under the skin of a place... 2,4,7, and 8 in particular for me... 8 is really clever... so well put together... all sorts of metaphors flying around in my head... tethered vs freedom, the difference between reality and imagination, a prisoner getting a visit from their long lost love... and all from two trees... the whole Minor White “what else they are” thing... love it...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 23/07/2020 - 22:15
You certainly have the eye, nicely seen and well taken
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Sry

Link Posted 24/07/2020 - 22:40
Thanks again, Gareth. And thank you for the metaphors, Bill - There is indeed always more to be seen than that which we view. And I'm definitely on board with Minor White, ever since you brought his work to my attention a little while back.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.