Learning curve???

Kal 10 d

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 22:57
Ok -i hate to admit it but as a novice im still just taking pictures on my GREEN button- i just point,focus ,and shoot... What basics do i need to know , i know this is a can of worms- and it all depends on light ,subject speed etc... but are there any basic "moves " that can help me get away form the green button..... I HAVE read the manual regards to av ,tav , etc.etc etc... but how am i knowing when to use these features.?????... I will be getting tuition from some guy (sorry cant remember his name at moment David ?????) but thats not for couple months.... As always ur guidance is much appreciated oh wise one's .....
K10 d-18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose..

fatspider

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 23:44
Macig Lantern Guides K10D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-K10D-Magic-Lantern-Guides/dp/160059185X

Goes further than the K10D manual and explains more about why the different modes are available and when to use them.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

hefty1

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 23:54
Start with the "P" mode - it's mostly automated but you do get a little more control. The wheel on the back (near your right thumb) will control the aperture and the one on the front will control shutter speed - as you adjust one of them then the camera will automatically adjust the other to give you a "correct" exposure. If you get stuck then press the green button next to the shutter and the camera will select both for you (just like in green mode). P mode will also let you select your own ISO values (reached by pressing the Fn button).

Take the same photo over and over and change the aperture values so you can see the effect it's having. Now do it again and this time change the ISO settings between shots and see the difference this makes. Get comfortable with using different apertures and ISO's first - it'll be a good start.
Joining the Q

MX veteran

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 00:17
I would try AV ( aperture priority) first. This lets you set your depth of field/best setting for optimum sharpness for a given lens.
Try using f8 in AV to start with. If you want more things in front and behind the thing you are actually focusing on to be in focus then go to f11 or f16.
If you want only the one thing you are focusing on to be sharp and everything else to be a bit blurred go to f5.6 or lower.
AV ( aperture priority) will teach you a lot about depth of field if you take lots of shots of the same subject at different f values.
If you like try taking a series of shots of the same subject starting at the lowest f value of the lens on the camera (say f4.5) and work up to f22 and look at the difference.Pick a subject with things in front and behind of the main item you are focusing on.
K100D Super, 18-55, 50-200, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 70mm macro and lots of old lenses

iceblinker

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 05:41
Av mode is great. In many situations it provides the most convenient compromise between control and automation. You can use it pretty much all the time if you like.

To simplify (to over simplify really, but it's a start): Select a large aperture (small f number) when you want to minimise depth of field (the amount that is in focus), or when the light is low (to hopefully get a reasonably fast shutter speed). Select a smaller aperture to increase depth of field, but don't go very much further than necessary. Select something in between when depth of field is not crucial. Lenses often perform best at around F8, though it depends on the lens.

If after taking a picture, if the exposure is under or over what you wanted, dial in some +/- Ev compensation and try again.

Also be aware of the ISO setting. Either leave it on Auto or set according to the light level.

I strongly suggest getting a book on photography to learn about the affects of aperture and shutter speed (and much more). I have one that I no longer want. I'll put an ad in the Classifieds section.
~Pete

Kal 10 d

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 07:38
Thanks everyone so far foryour replies-i'm gonna print this off and go play-am gonna get a book too-already on order.... Some good advice thanks guys-who knows this time in a year i might be giving the same tips to another newbie
K10 d-18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose..
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.