Mud 2.0

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 19/11/2020 - 13:27
Hi all... many apologies for radio silence my end over the last few months... been a weird old year, that's for sure... have been very active with the camera, but not having much time to put sets together etc...

Below is a set I've put together on mud. I've long been fascinated by mud. A suspension of sand, soil and water, it collects/reflects whatever happens to be around it. Bristol, and the Bristol Channel, is full of it.

I've been doing a project on it ever since we came here 8 years or so ago (I last posted a set on it here a couple of years back) and noticed how much of it there was, and have been knee deep in it over the summer.

All Pentax K1ii and various lenses, including the DFA 15-30, DFA 24-70, DFA 70-200, and the PLM 55-300.

All thoughts/comments gratefully received as ever...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Last Edited by thingsthatihaveseen on 19/11/2020 - 13:35

LennyBloke

Link Posted 19/11/2020 - 14:48
Such a high quality set Bill - great look and feel covering the whole set, with deep skies and almost metallic watery textures. Your use of the lighting is spot on (IMO), some of these look to be taken around sunset and you've brought that extra bit out of them with your skillful processing. Great set - another mini exhibition series for me
LennyBloke

Chrism8

Link Posted 19/11/2020 - 15:45
The lead image for me, followed by #7, #11 and #14 all equal
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.
Last Edited by Chrism8 on 19/11/2020 - 15:45

K10D

Link Posted 19/11/2020 - 16:41
Cracking images. Masterfully photographed.

Best regards

jvs

Link Posted 19/11/2020 - 19:52
Inspirational! Each one showing vision, imagination and technique. (And how lucky you are to have all that mud to hand!)
John

johnriley

Link Posted 20/11/2020 - 00:14
That is one amazing set of images and just about the most horrifying thing that my wife Sue could dream of - she has a real aversion to mud!
Best regards, John

davidwozhere

Link Posted 20/11/2020 - 01:15
Magnificent set. With personal experience of falling flat on my face when wading through the stuff I think you are really brave taking expensive kit out onto it!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Nigelk

Link Posted 20/11/2020 - 10:09
Mud, glorious mud!
Great set

pschlute

Link Posted 20/11/2020 - 11:18
Cracking set Bill. My dogs took a great interest in these too, mud being a firm favourite of theirs
Peter

My Flickr page

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 20/11/2020 - 12:22
Welcome back Bill and I hope you're coping with performance art being on hold at this time.

I grew up on the edge of the Bristol Channel and my memories of the mud are having to explain to my parents why my clothes were stained a dark brown / mid grey colour. I was banned from playing on the shoreline because of this. For years I thought that the sea was a muddy brown colour until we visited the South coast and I was amazed with the turquoise green of the English Channel.

Photographically speaking, your use of light, lead-in lines, shape and texture has given me a very different perspective of my childhood playground. (That is also a gentle word from me to me to 'try harder next time' when I'm taking pictures from the shore.) Thank you.

P.S. loving the views of Steep Holm: I had forgotten about it's distinctive shape that I used to see every day. That and the lighthouse on Flat Holm.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

Defragged

Link Posted 20/11/2020 - 12:49
We probably and understandably don't see mud in aesthetic terms, but you have a gift of making the mudane look stunning. I enjoyed looking at these, they're inspiration for the soul.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

Sry

Link Posted 20/11/2020 - 21:46
Glad to see you back Bill, with another stunning set of images. There is a subset of these (4, 6, 8, 12) which feels very organic, live creatures of sorts (which mud is, in a way) caught in some strange rite of self-cleansing. I'll add 2 to that subset - although it feels a bit different - in which I see a climax to the scene: the creature finally steaming off its glorious impurities in the morning (evening?) sun... Sorry, can't help myself, stories just pop into my mind when I see this type of work from you. 3 packs a heck of a graphic punch, and the waves in 9 are gorgeous. I'm not quite sure whether 13 is more mud than water or vice-versa, but it is at any rate a very soothing moment in the series, as is 5. Many thanks for coming back to share these with us.

davidtrout

Link Posted 20/11/2020 - 23:14
A truly magnificent set Bill. Full of craft and artistic beauty. That opening image blows me away.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Benz3ne

Link Posted 21/11/2020 - 12:41
Absolutely stellar. Wish my eye for photography was half as good as yours.
Looking forward to the next set.

bforbes

Link Posted 21/11/2020 - 13:28
You keep coming up with innovative sets
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.