Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

More help needed

Anonymous
Posted 15/08/2005 - 20:13 Link
Hi
Basically I'm looking to replace my P30 with something a bit more useful (but not alot). I like the look of the MZ50, any good anyone? Else what would everyone recommend, I'm not looking to spend much at all.
Thanks
Anonymous
Posted 15/08/2005 - 20:15 Link
I mean a fully manual capable SLR by the way (which I dont think the mz50 is, is it?)
simonsteph
Posted 15/08/2005 - 20:40 Link
I've used the MZ50 for a while now and i've never had any complaints. It can be used in fully manual mode, but to be honest whenever I want manual i use a proper manual camera. It is not the fault of the camera. All automatic cameras just feel that they are doing something it is not designed for. Like a F1 car towing a caravan or a mobile phone with games on it.
grahamwalton
Posted 15/08/2005 - 22:06 Link
I would recommend the Pentax MZ5 as a camera for manual or auto use.
In addition to Matrix Metering it has Centre Weighted and Spot.
The layout and controls of the camera are simple and straightforward and resemble a traditional manual camera.
The Pentax MZ5n is very similar but adds depth of field preview and auto bracketing to the specification.

I hope this helps.
Anonymous
Posted 15/08/2005 - 22:27 Link
Don't get an MZ-30, 50, or 60, or *ist (film).

None of them can use older K or M lenses.

George
johnriley
Posted 15/08/2005 - 23:17 Link
The MZ5 is a good choice, as is the MZ3. Both these cameras use a conventional shutter speed dial, so they will seem familiar to a P30 user. You will add all sorts of useful features, and at a reasonable price if you are patient and wait for the right camera to come along.

eBay could be a good source, but buy carefully. Dealers will be more expensive (probably) but are worth checking out.
Best regards, John
Anonymous
Posted 16/08/2005 - 15:40 Link
Sorry, I lied! I do have one complaint about the mz50, and that's the autofocus system. It's one point is ok in good lighting conditions, but in poor conditions it just seems to struggle. In most cases, it can't focus at all. Hope it's not just my camera!!!
Kimbo
Posted 16/08/2005 - 16:44 Link
I've no experience of the MZ50 but it's reasonably up to date and I'd be suprised if it struggled that much.
Multi-point AF is overrated and many users elect to switch to single/spot focusing mode.

My old but thoroughly reliable SFX can't match modern predictive focus cameras, being as it has the older 'continuous' mode, but focuses pretty well in low light - might be worth getting yours checked out against a similar model!
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
Anonymous
Posted 17/08/2005 - 19:34 Link
Can I use my pk fit lenses with the mz3 or 5? or is it an AF?
Kimbo
Posted 18/08/2005 - 13:21 Link
They're both AF cameras but you can switch to manual and use your existing lenses. You'll benefit chiefly from advanced metering but can also use AF lenses should you find a bargain or two.
The MZ-M is fully manual and pretty good but not as advanced as the 3 and 5.
AF lenses can be focused manually but manual lenses are designed better for this so if you prefer to shoot manually, then a manual lens on an AF body set to manual is ideal and you'll also get focus confirmation in the viewfinder + an audible beep if you want it.

When you said "pk fit lenses", did you mean K or KA (as you would normally have with a program camera such as the P30)?
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
grahamwalton
Posted 19/08/2005 - 20:56 Link
I have tried a Pentax M 135 lens with a PK mount on my MZ5n.

With the camera dial set to A, the camera automatically sets a speed when I change the appeture ring.

For Manual exposure I can set a speed on the camera dial and an appeture on the ring. Metering is by a Bar Scale shown in the viewfinder.
George Lazarette
Posted 19/08/2005 - 21:24 Link
All Pentax autofocus SLRs can use K and M lenses fully, and meter properly in aperture priority mode, with the exception of the MZ30, 50 and 60, and the *ist series.

In other words, with the exception of those bodies mentioned, any AF body will provide all the functionality of a manual focus body with manual focus lenses, and it will also provide focus confirmation.

If you like well-made, chunky, cameras, then an SFx is a good choice and will probably last for much longer than newer, lighter, bodies.

It's not beautiful, but it's the picture you look at, not the camera.

George
Flink
Posted 20/08/2005 - 20:13 Link
Hey George, I bought an SFXn for film photography because I thought the camera is actually quite beautiful! Well, the fact I can use (properly in all modes) my manual lenses also weighted a bit on the choice, I confess!

I like the SFXn better than the Z series, for example.
nfortin
Posted 23/08/2005 - 16:24 Link
Lots of conflicting advice!

I used an MZ-50 for a couple of years in addition to a P30T. I had no problems with the autofocus, which I found to be both fast and accurate, but this is not a good move up from the P30 series if you have existing Pentax-A and Pentax-M lenses.

My recommendation, along with several earlier replies, would be the MZ-5n. This is really easy to use if your used to cameras with traditional dials - like the P30, and will happily take all of your old lenses in manual focus mode.
Neil Fortin
Cheltenham, UK
George Lazarette
Posted 27/08/2005 - 01:02 Link
I don't think there is much conflict in the advice given; just different suggestions to consider.

The MZ5(n) is a very good camera, but my reason for suggesting the SFX is that it is both very well made, and usually much cheaper than the MZ5. If cost is a consideration, it's a god choice.

G

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.