More Flash Fun on Pentax
Posted 22/09/2008 - 14:52
Link
Matt,
With regards to the original post, I wonder if you can offer some advice as I think I've come across that behaviour with hss mode. I was using a Metz 48 trying to flash balance the sky with some yellow flowers during the midday sun. I had the flash in HSS mode and I was underexposing on manual mode by a couple of stops to get a really blue sky. I found that I was having to dial in +3 to expose the flowers correctly however that was really hit and miss, and sometimes I'd get a completely dark shot.
In the end, I resorted to the non hss method of waiting till evening when I could shoot at 1/180s with an aperture set for the sky to underexpose. I then dialled in the power on the flash manually.
Can you offer any advice as I'd really like to use the HSS and p-ttl for this kind of stuff but I always end up going back to manual.

With regards to the original post, I wonder if you can offer some advice as I think I've come across that behaviour with hss mode. I was using a Metz 48 trying to flash balance the sky with some yellow flowers during the midday sun. I had the flash in HSS mode and I was underexposing on manual mode by a couple of stops to get a really blue sky. I found that I was having to dial in +3 to expose the flowers correctly however that was really hit and miss, and sometimes I'd get a completely dark shot.
In the end, I resorted to the non hss method of waiting till evening when I could shoot at 1/180s with an aperture set for the sky to underexpose. I then dialled in the power on the flash manually.
Can you offer any advice as I'd really like to use the HSS and p-ttl for this kind of stuff but I always end up going back to manual.

Posted 22/09/2008 - 15:49
Link
Can you provide EXIF information? (Aperture, ISO) and an idea of the distance?
(Sounds like you're asking the flash to compete with a humongous burning nuclear ball )
Matt
(Sounds like you're asking the flash to compete with a humongous burning nuclear ball )
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 22/09/2008 - 17:07
Link
Well, I'm still waiting for your book!
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 22/09/2008 - 18:50
Link
Quote:
Well, I'm still waiting for your book!
It'll be a while... up to 12 pages and I haven't even started!! Well, I'm still waiting for your book!
And then I'll need images too...
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 22/09/2008 - 19:01
Link
MattMatic wrote:
And then I'll need images too...
Matt
may I suggest you start with a shot of a fella in a raincoat (back to camera) holding his raincoat wide open (flasher style) and some people facing the camera, covering thier eyes from a bright light that appears to be eminating from the flashers mid section?Quote:
Well, I'm still waiting for your book!
It'll be a while... up to 12 pages and I haven't even started!! Well, I'm still waiting for your book!
And then I'll need images too...
Matt
great cover shot...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 22/09/2008 - 20:14
Link
Quote:
may I suggest you start with a shot of a fella in a raincoat (back to camera) holding his raincoat wide open (flasher style) and some people facing the camera, covering thier eyes from a bright light that appears to be eminating from the flashers mid section?
Are you volunteering Don? may I suggest you start with a shot of a fella in a raincoat (back to camera) holding his raincoat wide open (flasher style) and some people facing the camera, covering thier eyes from a bright light that appears to be eminating from the flashers mid section?
Terry - either JPG or RAW, but better in RAW
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 23/09/2008 - 00:15
Link
I'll do it Matt, but I'm gonna need some danger pay, or insurance or somethin.....
Won't be able to move, or turn left, or right, without knocking over a tripod, or lightstand, or somethin....
Won't be able to move, or turn left, or right, without knocking over a tripod, or lightstand, or somethin....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 23/09/2008 - 00:15
Link
or did you mean TAKE the photo?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2227 posts
18 years