K100D Super and AF-540FGZ

teruranse
Posted 16/09/2008 - 16:44 Link
Hi all

I am having this problematic issue with my flash. According the the flash manual it is compatible to my camera however when I mount the flash on my camera, I cannot select P-TTL.

I have read thru the manual and done according to it but I just cant select P-TTL. I can toggle thru TTL, A, M and SB only.

I am using a 18-55mm lens with it. Is it something wrong with my flash or my body.

Is there some setting that I must set first or I must hit certain requirement regarding to shutter speed, aperture and ISO?

Help
MattMatic
Posted 16/09/2008 - 17:33 Link
Check that you've mounted the flashgun correctly (turn off flash & camera before though).
Occasionally you find that the shoe isn't pushed all the way home...

Just a thought
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
hefty1
Posted 16/09/2008 - 21:10 Link
I had the same problem once with my AF360 + K10D, couldn't figure it out at all, switched camera and flash on and off, removed batteries etc - nothing worked. Then (after many failed experiments) I tried putting the flash into SB mode and firing off a couple of shots. Hey presto! Something must have reminded the flash that the camera was P-TTL rather than TTL because the option came back into the flash menus. I have no idea why this worked but it did and I've not had the problem again since...
Joining the Q
teruranse
Posted 17/09/2008 - 01:59 Link
MattMatic wrote:
Check that you've mounted the flashgun correctly (turn off flash & camera before though).
Occasionally you find that the shoe isn't pushed all the way home...

Just a thought
Matt
I have. I have remove and reinset it many time even half locking and full locking it but still the same. Occasionally when I have to use a little bit of force, it can switch to P-TTL after 9 time out of 10 but then again its gone.

Another thing is I always get the blinking flash indicator in my viewer. Does that mean my flash is really faulty?
teruranse
Posted 17/09/2008 - 02:02 Link
hefty1 wrote:
I had the same problem once with my AF360 + K10D, couldn't figure it out at all, switched camera and flash on and off, removed batteries etc - nothing worked. Then (after many failed experiments) I tried putting the flash into SB mode and firing off a couple of shots. Hey presto! Something must have reminded the flash that the camera was P-TTL rather than TTL because the option came back into the flash menus. I have no idea why this worked but it did and I've not had the problem again since...
The only mode that I can get it to fire was the A mode. my TTL, M and SB all have the blinking flash icon in my view finder.

So does your P-TTL still remain after you remove and insert it back? I am really having trouble with my flash...
MattMatic
Posted 17/09/2008 - 06:48 Link
Sounds like something's wrong...

1) Maybe the LCD segment that shows the "P" is not working. Have you actually tried using it while showing "TTL"? Does it work?

2) Could be a contact issue on the hotshoe.

Either way, if the flash is under warranty I'd get it replaced

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
hefty1
Posted 17/09/2008 - 10:13 Link
teruranse wrote:
The only mode that I can get it to fire was the A mode. my TTL, M and SB all have the blinking flash icon in my view finder.

So does your P-TTL still remain after you remove and insert it back? I am really having trouble with my flash...
The problem I had only came up once, it confused me greatly but once the flash went back to P-TTL it's stayed there since. I'd probably take Matt's advice above if I were you and get the flash replaced if it's still under warranty - sounds like some sort of electronic glitch which is unlikely to be anything you can fix yourself. Sorry!
Joining the Q
Mannesty
Posted 17/09/2008 - 11:14 Link
If a very old flash has ever been attached to this camera, there is a possibility that the camera is at fault and not the flash. Is it possible for you to take both to a Pentax Dealer who would be able to test your camera with another flash, and your flash with another body?
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
teruranse
Posted 17/09/2008 - 12:48 Link
hefty1 wrote:
teruranse wrote:
The only mode that I can get it to fire was the A mode. my TTL, M and SB all have the blinking flash icon in my view finder.

So does your P-TTL still remain after you remove and insert it back? I am really having trouble with my flash...
The problem I had only came up once, it confused me greatly but once the flash went back to P-TTL it's stayed there since. I'd probably take Matt's advice above if I were you and get the flash replaced if it's still under warranty - sounds like some sort of electronic glitch which is unlikely to be anything you can fix yourself. Sorry!
yeah guess i will do just that... but i bought my flash from a online store and its unlikely i can send it back for replacement... not sure if they can replace at pentax dealer internationally though... best hope is at least can be repair for free...
teruranse
Posted 17/09/2008 - 12:51 Link
Mannesty wrote:
If a very old flash has ever been attached to this camera, there is a possibility that the camera is at fault and not the flash. Is it possible for you to take both to a Pentax Dealer who would be able to test your camera with another flash, and your flash with another body?
i bought it online so i am not sure if its new or not but i presume it should be... didnt see any checkbox that says new item though...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo