Moon and Jupiter
Posted 30/05/2018 - 10:29
Link
I am liking this. I am waiting for the clouds to clear to have a crack at the moon. But the forecast is not looking promising for the next few nights. I have seen Jupiter and it's four moons when I have used my Q for night work. Again, I have itchy feet to have a go at that. I just need to find my battery charger for my Q that I have seemed to misplaced in my move.
Regards
Gary
Regards
Gary
Armed with a K3, some M, A, FA, DA, and star lens. With an eye open for "just one more lens".
My PPG link
My PPG link
Posted 30/05/2018 - 11:28
Link
Cheers Gary.
I can't believe it took me several years to have a go. Very limited by what i can image due to the non sychronised mount...also the 'seeing' was only moderate. I hope to repeat the exercise in the autumn whn the skies should be a bit clearer although I might take some video of the Moon in the meantime.
Good luck with your effort when conditions improve...post some results on here...would be interesting to see how it performs.
Regards
Karlo
I can't believe it took me several years to have a go. Very limited by what i can image due to the non sychronised mount...also the 'seeing' was only moderate. I hope to repeat the exercise in the autumn whn the skies should be a bit clearer although I might take some video of the Moon in the meantime.
Good luck with your effort when conditions improve...post some results on here...would be interesting to see how it performs.
Regards
Karlo
Posted 30/05/2018 - 11:40
Link
I predict a few late nights for you Karlo once you start on the planet and star shots it's hard to stop!
Some nice images - keep em coming
Some nice images - keep em coming
LennyBloke
Posted 30/05/2018 - 13:32
Link
LennyBloke wrote:
I predict a few late nights for you Karlo once you start on the planet and star shots it's hard to stop!
Some nice images - keep em coming
You're right, it is quite addictive. Hopefully once the darker skies appear a bit earlier again I won't need to stay up so late although i'm often up until midnight+ so it's not a major inconvenience. Took some of Venus the same night but not very visually appealing unfortunately...it's difficult to get good shots with any kind of detail.I predict a few late nights for you Karlo once you start on the planet and star shots it's hard to stop!
Some nice images - keep em coming
I will try Saturn if that presents itself although I could do with inserting an eyepiece and then connecting camera to this i suspect for some of these shots i'm thinking of.
I assume when i upgrade my camera body to one with built in astro tracer it might give me a few more options.
Thanks for your comments in the meantime,
Regards
Karlo
Posted 30/05/2018 - 13:36
Link
Excellent set, its something I always meant to try, but still havent. good shooting
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 30/05/2018 - 14:40
Link
Like these very much Karlo... congrats on pursuing a new path too... always rewarding in my experience...
Best
Best
Posted 31/05/2018 - 00:43
Link
derek897 wrote:
Excellent set, its something I always meant to try, but still havent. good shooting
Thanks Derek...should give it a try...there may be some interesting buglife up there!Excellent set, its something I always meant to try, but still havent. good shooting
thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
Like these very much Karlo... congrats on pursuing a new path too... always rewarding in my experience...
Best
Cheers Bill, much appreciated. Agree it's good to try new stuff...i'm always on the lookout for new photographic vistas to explore and the good thing with my setup is that so far it hasn't cost me any extra expense as i already had the kit. I think that might change soon though...Like these very much Karlo... congrats on pursuing a new path too... always rewarding in my experience...
Best
Regards
Karlo
Posted 31/05/2018 - 09:22
Link
I like being out under the stars with my camera. I must admit I have looked at getting an eq mount to carry a longer lens and try catching some far and distance deep space subjects. I was living in Darwin, so the SCP to polar align with was low on the horizon and in the tree tops. Not to mention that the stars that you align with are faint, and are hard to find even on a good night. Now I have moved, it will be something to revisit. I should really master shooting the Milky Way first. Something I have tried, but I have never been 100% happy with my results. Just be aware that things can get pretty expensive pretty quickly. But it also can be very rewarding. The big difference for me now is that Darwin was nice and warm at night, where as now not so much.
Regards
Gary
Regards
Gary
Armed with a K3, some M, A, FA, DA, and star lens. With an eye open for "just one more lens".
My PPG link
My PPG link
Posted 31/05/2018 - 10:24
Link
Hi Gary,
You're right about the sharp increase in expense...particularly if you go for views of Deep Space Objects as opposed to the Moon and large planets...I need to ensure I get 'the most bang for my buck' as far as possible which will limit my involvement for now. Given that much of the equipment only gets used very occasionally its a shame you can't hire it for a week or two as required.
You living 'Down Under'...never thought about you having difficulty with star alignment and calibration. Understand the thing about temperature though...up here dark skies usually mean colder air...not much fun when your fingers have difficulty handling the lenses and adaptors 'cause they're semi frozen and of course due to the nature of things there's a lot of time literally just standing around trying to keep body temperature up.
Ah well, all good fun when you get some results from it.
All the Best,
Karlo
You're right about the sharp increase in expense...particularly if you go for views of Deep Space Objects as opposed to the Moon and large planets...I need to ensure I get 'the most bang for my buck' as far as possible which will limit my involvement for now. Given that much of the equipment only gets used very occasionally its a shame you can't hire it for a week or two as required.
You living 'Down Under'...never thought about you having difficulty with star alignment and calibration. Understand the thing about temperature though...up here dark skies usually mean colder air...not much fun when your fingers have difficulty handling the lenses and adaptors 'cause they're semi frozen and of course due to the nature of things there's a lot of time literally just standing around trying to keep body temperature up.
Ah well, all good fun when you get some results from it.
All the Best,
Karlo
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1542 posts
15 years
Northwich,
Cheshire
Moon shots at 33% crop one of them partly through vegetation.
Jupiter with its four Gallilean Moons...from L-R Callisto, Io, Europa and Ganymede. Approx 400 million miles away at the moment. (4.45x further than the Sun)
All images with K-50 on Skywatcher Skyliner 150P on a Dobsonian (purely manual) mount.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.