Monthly Competition #17 - TREE Competition
Posted 14/11/2013 - 00:01
Link
If you click on the competition Barrie you see this:
Quote:
Topic of November - a tree. You can take a picture of a group of trees or forest, but preference will be given to single trees. Under otherwise equal of course. I wish you all good luck and good pictures!
Basic rules: Pentax cameras only, images must be shot in November 2013
IMHO that seems pretty clear. Brief, but clear.
Topic of November - a tree. You can take a picture of a group of trees or forest, but preference will be given to single trees. Under otherwise equal of course. I wish you all good luck and good pictures!
Basic rules: Pentax cameras only, images must be shot in November 2013
Best regards, John
Posted 14/11/2013 - 00:33
Link
David's competition is actually on 'Windows' not 'Trees.'
A link to the rules of the relevant competitions would seem to make sense. A new user could easily stumble upon the competition by way of a Google search and have no idea of the presence of the rules held elsewhere on the site. All they can see is what is in the description by the judge; the full rules are not shown or even linked to. Some might consider a Canikon to be 'a closely related clone,' they all look pretty similar photographic devices at a glance and may not understand the brand distinction. Clearly some have shown trouble understanding why their Canikon entries have been removed and become irate when, after re-uploading, they've been removed once more. Clearly something could be better as it seems to happen in virtually every competition.
John K
A link to the rules of the relevant competitions would seem to make sense. A new user could easily stumble upon the competition by way of a Google search and have no idea of the presence of the rules held elsewhere on the site. All they can see is what is in the description by the judge; the full rules are not shown or even linked to. Some might consider a Canikon to be 'a closely related clone,' they all look pretty similar photographic devices at a glance and may not understand the brand distinction. Clearly some have shown trouble understanding why their Canikon entries have been removed and become irate when, after re-uploading, they've been removed once more. Clearly something could be better as it seems to happen in virtually every competition.
John K
John K
Posted 14/11/2013 - 00:44
Link
The explanation for the weekly competition is on the front page of the competitions. It explains the process and asks that all entries be taken on Pentax cameras, in bold letters.
I can't see that someone can really just randomly arrive at PU and not understand it's a Pentax site. I can't see how they can be puzzled if a Canon or Nikon picture is taken off, they are told twice in the competition area, again in the forum area and then they get an explanatory PM as well.
How much hand holding is reasonable? If it was a magazine, which it is in a way but online, then there would be none of the extra assistance. Entries that didn't follow the rules would just fail at the first hurdle.
I think the photographer who enters also has some responsibility to find out what they need to do, or ask if in doubt.
I can't see that someone can really just randomly arrive at PU and not understand it's a Pentax site. I can't see how they can be puzzled if a Canon or Nikon picture is taken off, they are told twice in the competition area, again in the forum area and then they get an explanatory PM as well.
How much hand holding is reasonable? If it was a magazine, which it is in a way but online, then there would be none of the extra assistance. Entries that didn't follow the rules would just fail at the first hurdle.
I think the photographer who enters also has some responsibility to find out what they need to do, or ask if in doubt.
Best regards, John
Posted 14/11/2013 - 09:57
Link
I get irritated when people fail to grasp the rules when they enter the competitions. There's no excuse for not doing so, even for a newbie to the site.
We were all newbies once and entered our first competitions at some point but we didn't all fail to follow the rules.
Having said that I've also been guilty of paying insufficient attention to the judge's brief.
In AndrewA's recent competition for The Sun, I had chosen my entry and pressed the enter button after just scanning through Andrew's brief. When it was too late I read it properly and discovered Andrew wasn't merely looking for sunlight, he wanted to see the orb of the sun in entries.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
We were all newbies once and entered our first competitions at some point but we didn't all fail to follow the rules.
Having said that I've also been guilty of paying insufficient attention to the judge's brief.
In AndrewA's recent competition for The Sun, I had chosen my entry and pressed the enter button after just scanning through Andrew's brief. When it was too late I read it properly and discovered Andrew wasn't merely looking for sunlight, he wanted to see the orb of the sun in entries.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Posted 21/11/2013 - 01:08
Link
there is a nice photograph of Lundy - unfortunately the resolution is not good enough to see any trees - or was the poster hoping that in the 2+ years from taking to uploading, so would have appeared?
Posted 24/11/2013 - 09:06
Link
I removed one this morning. Although it had no EXIF data it was obviously taken in the UK during the summer
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 26/11/2013 - 09:11
Link
johnriley wrote:
Another deletion, wrong date.
And another posted 20 minutes after!
Another deletion, wrong date.
Posted 26/11/2013 - 10:36
Link
YaY its not ME!! I actually took my The Tree shot especially for the competition
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Posted 26/11/2013 - 16:21
Link
Just chopped down another one.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 26/11/2013 - 16:55
Link
gartmore wrote:
Just chopped down another one.
...I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok...
Just chopped down another one.
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6913 posts
17 years
Co. Durham UK
I assume because I have an entry, I can't see what the monthly heading looks like
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/