Mixed bag

Prieni

Link Posted 09/08/2009 - 18:40
Haven't posted shots for a while. Here are some very different results from the last few weeks.

This is a portrait, one of a series I did at work, so it's a colleague:

Very educational to shoot 100+ people and I did make lots of dud ones (but don't tell them...). This is one I quite liked. I might post some more when I get permission from the "models".

Second one is a beach shot, taken shortly before sunset:

On Saturday I took a series of Romanescu "landscape" shots (remember the vegetables competition?)

Was my first time with this vegetable but definitely not the last.

And last but not least a shot from this years tall ship event in town, shot from the bedroom window:

As always C&C welcome,
Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

PentaxRocks

Link Posted 09/08/2009 - 18:53
I really liked the tall ships shot, some great pictures there.
Pentax K20D, Pentax 16-45, Sigma 50-300, Tamron 70-200 f2.8. Tamron 90 f2.8 macro, The Sigma Bigma.

Nikon D700 ,nikon 14-24mm f2.8, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR.

Aiki

Link Posted 09/08/2009 - 19:37
1. The eyes seem just a bit out of focus - if compared to the hair, eyebrows ?! Isnt it ? It makes him look somehow "misty".

2. Ineresting coast. Havent seen such IRL.
Nice sun-color. Sky adds a lot.

You have been quite busy recently.
Nice to see your pics again
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG

Galoot

Link Posted 09/08/2009 - 20:38
Good images my friend

I opened the B&W one in 'Safari' and 'Firefox' and the picture seemed a bit flat.

I downloaded it and opened it in Photoshop Elements 6 for the Mac and without doing anything, the contrast was there ???

Probably just shows the limitations of the browsers, but I downloaded the others pictures too, and there was no change in contrast when I opened them in PSE6 ?

Maybe someone smarter than me knows why, but anyway, the pictures are cool

John.
link

JudithAnn

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 04:07
Love the tall ship photo
https://www.jastandringphotos.com

mikew

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 07:46
Is the crop on the excellent portrait just a little tight? You lose the very top of his hair and bottom of his beard (unless it reaches his knees of course).

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

Prieni

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 08:07
Thanks all for comments!

On the first one: Aiki, you are right, the eyes are just out of focus and the beard is in focus. I agree that this puts a bit of mystique in the picture and maybe that is why I like it. (But basically this was not intention but an oversight on my part; sometimes it works to break the rule.)

John, I agree that it does look a bit flat but I didn't want to increase contrast and it looks all right printed. Maybe I left it in AdobeRGB.

Mike, the original is a bit wider, so the crop here is intentional. It may be a "neither here nor there" crop... And no, his beard doesn't extend very much lower

Thanks for looking,
Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

Aiki

Link Posted 12/08/2009 - 17:40
Prieni wrote:

On the first one: Aiki, you are right, the eyes are just out of focus and the beard is in focus. I agree that this puts a bit of mystique in the picture and maybe that is why I like it.
Prieni

Yes its bit mystic.
But when I look at him....it seemes to me that HE cant see very well.
It makes me a bit uncomfy. (Because I believe that in reality he can see)
Sure it is, the portrait draws attention.
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG

Tony-O

Link Posted 12/08/2009 - 20:43
Hi Ralf,like the the portrait,there's a 3D effect that i think compensates for sharpness/contrast questions.i like it as it is.No 2 is a bit oversaturated(on my new uncalibrated monitor)but i like the composition/colour.Tony
K7,DA*50-135, 35mmLTD Macro, 21mm Ltd, Voightlaender 58mm 1.4 NOKTON SL,Ricoh GRD,GRX, Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro Planar.Zeiss Ikon ZM,Zeiss f1.5 C Sonnar.

It ain't no sin to take off your skin,and dance around in your bones.Tom Waits.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.