Mix & Match Flashguns
Posted 28/02/2011 - 14:15
Link
If the voltages are safe and the hotshoes match then they should work in manual mode. I think I remember seeing some generic flashes which worked in a similar way to the Pentax Auto Flash system (where you set the shutter speed/aperture/ISO to what the flash expects and it will then use its own light sensor to produce the correct flash level).
The physical size of the flash is no guarantee of its trigger voltage by the way - the two flashes I have with lethal (to DSLRs) trigger voltages are both little cheapies powered by a couple of AAs. I get the impression that cheap flashes often didn't bother with an extra circuit and instead put the full internal voltage of the flash on the trigger pins?
The physical size of the flash is no guarantee of its trigger voltage by the way - the two flashes I have with lethal (to DSLRs) trigger voltages are both little cheapies powered by a couple of AAs. I get the impression that cheap flashes often didn't bother with an extra circuit and instead put the full internal voltage of the flash on the trigger pins?
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 28/02/2011 - 14:34
Link
For safety, you could use " wireless triggers " to trigger the flash units, there's loads available, from cheap £15 a set to Pocket Wizards at £250+
Cheers
Cheers
Chris
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 28/02/2011 - 21:09
Link
Thanks both.
Think I may look for cheap wireless triggers.
Think I may look for cheap wireless triggers.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Posted 01/03/2011 - 13:57
Link
Yeah, I had thought that too. Then I thought BOOM!
Wireless triggers may also be affected by the voltage. You need to check the specs.
Just looking at the Cactus V5:
Together with the provided PC Sync and 3.5mm cables and 6.25mm plug adapter, photographers may use Cactus V5 with any** portable flash and studio strobe with trigger voltage under 300V or under.
Looks like hot-shoe use might fry the transceiver.
Wireless triggers may also be affected by the voltage. You need to check the specs.
Just looking at the Cactus V5:
Together with the provided PC Sync and 3.5mm cables and 6.25mm plug adapter, photographers may use Cactus V5 with any** portable flash and studio strobe with trigger voltage under 300V or under.
Looks like hot-shoe use might fry the transceiver.
Posted 01/03/2011 - 15:32
Link
Unless using a very old flashgun, this is a non-issue these days. All modern flashguns have low trigger voltages.
By modern, I mean anything under about 20 years old.
G
By modern, I mean anything under about 20 years old.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 01/03/2011 - 18:01
Link
I still find my tray of magnesium flash powder very safe; isn't that what the 'B' setting is for?
Actually I'm still waiting to hear from anyone on here who has actually fried a camera with a flashgun, I fear it may be a long wait...
Actually I'm still waiting to hear from anyone on here who has actually fried a camera with a flashgun, I fear it may be a long wait...
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 01/03/2011 - 18:06
Link
Quote:
I still find my tray of magnesium flash powder very safe; isn't that what the 'B' setting is for?
Don't even joke about it Ken...I was sorting out some very old stuff in the camera club archive and came across a wooden box, helpfully marked "explosives" - inside it was full of flash powder. Couple that to the Magnesium ribbon that was at the back of a shelf and we could have had a very exciting event.
I still find my tray of magnesium flash powder very safe; isn't that what the 'B' setting is for?
Best regards, John
Posted 01/03/2011 - 18:19
Link
It wasn't piled on top some old reels of celluloid movie film by any chance? You could still buy flash powder certainly up until the 1970s, stage magicians were quite fond of it.
How did you dispose of it?
How did you dispose of it?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 01/03/2011 - 19:44
Link
Police station? Wouldn't know where else to take it...
or
Could chuck it in a river to heat it up or as a de-icer on windsheilds...
or
Could chuck it in a river to heat it up or as a de-icer on windsheilds...
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


416 posts
20 years
Staffordshire,
England
Assuming voltages are ok, will flashguns made for other dSLR's still work on a Pentax body? Are the contacts on the hotshoe such as the flash will fire. I realise auto control would probably be out of the question but as I often use a Sekonic Flash Meter and trial and error that's not a problem. I occasionally see cheap dedicated flashguns in a local charity shop but unfortunately very few (none actually) Pentax compatable. Many thanks.