METZ MECABLITZ 36 AF-4

xbow
Posted 25/02/2011 - 13:54 Link
I don't much like using flash but it's difficult not to with close up/macro work so I was thinking of buying this:

link

I was thinking of hooking it up to the X-synch socket with a standard cable. There's not much point in buying expensive Pentax off-camera cables and adaptors for macro is there? For info I'll be using a BPM bellows for some macro stuff. I don't want to spend too much at this stage as I doubt it will get a huge amount of use. £65.00 seems pretty good to me?!

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Tyr
Posted 25/02/2011 - 14:33 Link
Lou (my wife) shoots a lot of macro using her K10D and Tamron 90mm Di. We got her the AF160FC to use as she was not getting on well using the Metz 58 AF-1. She absolutely loves using the ring flash as the lighting is always just right. Problem is a ring flash is quite a bit more than the 36 AF-4.

Two problems you may have with the single flash:

1. uni-directional light
2. harsh shadows

You'd be much better off if you could get two of the flashes to use off camera.

The Metz 36 AF-4 is a little limiting as you cannot control it manually (P-TTL only). It does look amazingly good for the price though at £65. Plus reliability wise as the zoom is manual there is no worrying about zoom motor failure like on other Metz flashes.

At the moment I have two Metz 29 AF-1 flashes because the zoom motors on both 58s broke and they are stuck at the widest setting outputting GN29!
xbow
Posted 25/02/2011 - 15:24 Link
Thanks for the comments. I have an old Vivitar flash that I could use as a second flash with a suitable trigger so perhaps that is the answer.

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Tyr
Posted 25/02/2011 - 15:38 Link
If the Vivitar has manual settings then perhaps use that in manual mode off camera and bounce light back from the other side with a reflector to reduce harsh shadows.

Problem with the 36 is that you need a P-TTL cable to get it to fire at anything other than 1/1 power and you cannot adjust it creatively outside the +-1 EV stop allowed in camera.

That is why it is £65.
xbow
Posted 25/02/2011 - 16:09 Link
Thanks Tyr, Just been looking at the 44 instead which although a lot more looks tempting ...

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Tyr
Posted 25/02/2011 - 16:56 Link
Just checked the manual for some information:

GN is 20 at 28mm (widest setting).
ISO speed compatibility is 25-800 only.
Maximum power flash duration is 1/500s.

If you had a P-TTL lead I don't see it being a bad flash.

If it had manual mode I'd get several myself.
xbow
Posted 25/02/2011 - 17:33 Link
Yes, I've been checking specs and as an additional flash it might suit but It's too basic for a first flash unit.

The MECABLITZ 44 AF-1 is looking to be better at £145.00 at SRS

link

Just not sure about the "funky" control panel on the back! What do you think?

link


Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Tyr
Posted 25/02/2011 - 23:03 Link
The only problem is again limited manual settings. I really don't understand why manual control is so expensive.

If you can get a cheap P-TTL cable then there is nothing wrong with the 36. Macro work will mostly be using automatic flash anyway:
xbow
Posted 27/02/2011 - 20:05 Link
MECABLITZ 44 AF-1 Bought and "under test"

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo