ME super sees the light

Transit

Link Posted 11/12/2011 - 03:11
Tempted to try a little B&W film,
I had a fossick amongst the various auction bodies that I have accumulated.
Various spotmatics, M bodies and a few P30s.
I wanted some manual control so the likely candidate seems to be this one

Having recovered from having the eyeball sucked into the viewfinder, I wonder how this combination would be near wide open ?

This neat little body seems to be wanting a compact lens

The light seals look a bit suspect and the foam above the mirror has a gap.
Need to get fresh batteries to see if all is well otherwise.

Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River

steven9761

Link Posted 11/12/2011 - 10:37
Aaah!!.. Happy memories of owning this bit of kit! If memory serves me correctly, this camera was launched around 1979-1980(ish), and I believe was considered "state-of-the-art" since it was amongst the first of the "electro-mechanical" cameras of its day.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 11/12/2011 - 11:14
If you search ebay for 'Light Seal' you'll find what you need to bring this venerable camera back to full life.

Mine has a 50mm f1.7 on and gets used from time to time.

But be warned, B&W will get addictive, there's the developing side to explore and...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

davem

Link Posted 11/12/2011 - 19:22
for the light seals email jon_goodman at yahoo.com. He is in the states and can supply what you need. He also sends an instruction sheet. The kits cost about £8 incliuding postage the the uk.

Dave

MrB

Link Posted 11/12/2011 - 21:05
This was and still is a great slr camera, very compact and well built. I bought one of these as good as new on eBay here in the UK just a few weeks ago, to add to a collection of one of each of the cameras that I used to own in my younger days. Last week I collected a CD from Boots Photo shop of pictures from a Kodak colour negative film that I shot with it a few days earlier. This is one of the suspension bridge over the River Thames at Marlow, using a Pentax-A SMC 50mm f2 lens -

steven9761

Link Posted 11/12/2011 - 21:29
MrB wrote:
This was and still is a great slr camera, very compact and well built. I bought one of these as good as new on eBay here in the UK just a few weeks ago, to add to a collection of one of each of the cameras that I used to own in my younger days. Last week I collected a CD from Boots Photo shop of pictures from a Kodak colour negative film that I shot with it a few days earlier. This is one of the suspension bridge over the River Thames at Marlow, using a Pentax-A SMC 50mm f2 lens -

LHS is Marlow, RHS leads down towards the National Sports Centre??.. I think you took this shot early in the morning, and possibly on a weekend, because that bridge is usually fairly busy.

Transit

Link Posted 11/12/2011 - 22:26
Thanks for the replies Guys I appreciate the links, warnings of addiction and the stirred reminiscences ! Nice shot MrB !

Do the seal kits include a bit to do the strip over the mirror ?
Cheers
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River

Transit

Link Posted 11/12/2011 - 22:45
My goodness the viewfinder in this baby is ridiculous Not sure if I can return to the tiny wee view on the K-5....
Loving the wides staying wide. The SMC 24/2.8 is my poormans DA15 now !
It's older sibling looks good too

Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Last Edited by Transit on 11/12/2011 - 22:46

MrB

Link Posted 11/12/2011 - 22:51
steven9761 wrote:
I think you took this shot early in the morning, and possibly on a weekend, because that bridge is usually fairly busy.

It was about 3 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon, 27 Nov, after a quarter-pounder at the Marlow Wimpy Bar.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 12/12/2011 - 06:47
The seal kits usually have more than enough to do all the seals, and usually more than one camera as well!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Transit

Link Posted 12/12/2011 - 13:32
Thanks HG

Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River

womble

Link Posted 12/12/2011 - 20:59
My first camera was a ME Super. The original is dead now but I have three others...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Stanovich

Link Posted 12/12/2011 - 23:03
I'm enjoying mine (bought a year ago and serviced by Harrow Technical, now used mainly with M50 2.0 & M28 3.5, though my FA24-90 should work with it too)... I could never afford one as a student (I had a Praktica MTL3 and quite a good motorbike for the same money).
K5IIs & ME Super with FA24-90, DA17-70, DA55-300, misc old primes; Fuji X20.

Transit

Link Posted 13/12/2011 - 19:44
davem wrote:
for the light seals email jon_goodman at yahoo.com. He is in the states and can supply what you need. He also sends an instruction sheet. The kits cost about £8 incliuding postage the the uk.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave
Jon Goodman has already sent a light seal kit winging its way down the Pacific. Shockingly fast service
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Last Edited by Transit on 13/12/2011 - 19:45

Transit

Link Posted 13/12/2011 - 19:50
Stanovich wrote:
I'm enjoying mine (bought a year ago and serviced by Harrow Technical, now used mainly with M50 2.0 & M28 3.5, though my FA24-90 should work with it too)... I could never afford one as a student (I had a Praktica MTL3 and quite a good motorbike for the same money).

I'm starting to look at my lens collection in a whole new way
My SMC 24/2.8 for instance...no lens crop and massive viewfinder is very nice.
Still haven't got batteries for this camera so the mysteries of push button shutter speed are still to be savoured
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.