MZ S

Oso

Link Posted 16/12/2011 - 13:11
Hi,

Need some advise from the Forum, anyone with experence with the MZ S, contemplating getting an MZ S to add to my collection and using it on a regular basis.
To start with I guess I can use my Pentax manual lenses with it. apart from the AF, I hope there will be no other restrictions. Thanks

Oso

Roscoe

Link Posted 16/12/2011 - 17:23
MZ range is prone to shutter faliure(I have an MZ7 with this problem)

If you want to use a non digital Pentax, then I would go for the Super A.

I deeply regret trading in my Program A & my Super A, for the MZ7.

If you're eyesight is good, you will find the Super A(manual focus), a great camera with a fast shutter speed,depth of field preview,shutter priority,and apperture priority,it's first class.

I would stay away from MZ cameras!

kindest regards,

Peter.

fatspider

Link Posted 16/12/2011 - 18:38
I would have thought the MZ-S would be a lot better build quality than the rest of the MZ range.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 16/12/2011 - 19:28
Lens compatibility: http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

The MZ-S is one of Pentax's serious 'professional' cameras so I would expect it to be pretty tank-like and durable. It's still very pricey 2nd hand, so I would probably look at some of the cheaper options which offer similar features.

But it is a droolsome camera, so if I was loaded and shot more film than I do, I would definitely grab one!

(It's perhaps not the best for manual lenses though, as it doesn't have a split screen... for manual lenses I'd go for a MF body).
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 16/12/2011 - 19:31

fritzthedog

Link Posted 16/12/2011 - 19:44
I sold my MZ-S because I never really got on with it. I have owned every one of the MZ range - (and still have a 10,50,5n,6 and 7) and my favorite has always been the MZ-6. Personal preference I suppose but I prefer the ist* to the MZ-S - and they are about a quarter of the price.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Oso

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 20:34
Hi,

Thank you all for your kind feedback. As I have no AF Pentaxes, I wanted to add one to my collection as well as using it on a regular basis.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I beleive that the MZ S is about the last 35mm camera produced by Pentax and the body is magnésium and not plastic. Once I get an AF body, AF lenses will evantually follow, my manual lenses will only be a stop gap.I will be quite happy with one of the trouble free later AFs, one that is near end of production of 35mm. Regards

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all on the Forum and may you all have plenty of Pentax goodies for 2012

Oso

fatspider

Link Posted 17/12/2011 - 22:48
Oso

I think you will find this link rather interesting link
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Helpful

Oso

Link Posted 18/12/2011 - 17:18
Thanks Alan

Oso

Mannesty

Link Posted 18/12/2011 - 23:53
The MZ-S is a fine camera, with one limitation that I can think of.

You will not be able to use any lenses that have no aperture ring, other than wide open, because the body lacks the facility to set the aperture. Lenses lacking an aperture ring include the FA-J and DA series.

As has been suggested, the Super-A is a fine MF body, but that model lacks any dioptre adjustment.

The MZ-S has TTL, P-TTL and wireless flash functions. I often regret selling mine, not that I used it much, it's just a beautiful piece of engineering to look at and hold. The body is a mag-alloy too so it's incredibly tough.

The *ist was the last 35mm film camera produced by Pentax. I think that the MZ-6 is possibly the best value for money body of the MZ series available at the moment and does just about everything the MZ-S can do, except mirror lockup, and lenses with no aperture ring can also be used with it.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 19/12/2011 - 02:26
The MZ-S is indeed built to professional standards.
The other MZ series bodies most definitely are not.

Chris
Bring back the latent image!

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 19/12/2011 - 09:36
Mannesty wrote:

You will not be able to use any lenses that have no aperture ring, other than wide open, because the body lacks the facility to set the aperture. Lenses lacking an aperture ring include the FA-J and DA series.

Actually that's not correct. You can use FA-J and DA lenses in Tv mode. We're used to using Av mode really, but of course Tv is just the 'mirror image' of Av mode.

However perhaps a cheaper 'flagship' film SLR with AF would be the Z-1 (or PZ-1) which does support DA lenses in Av mode, as well as M and K lenses without the A-setting. In short, it's fully functional with any Pentax K lens. http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-z-1-pz-1.html
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Mannesty

Link Posted 19/12/2011 - 12:06
Pentaxophile wrote:
Mannesty wrote:

Actually that's not correct. You can use FA-J and DA lenses in Tv mode. We're used to using Av mode really, but of course Tv is just the 'mirror image' of Av mode.

However perhaps a cheaper 'flagship' film SLR with AF would be the Z-1 (or PZ-1) which does support DA lenses in Av mode, as well as M and K lenses without the A-setting. In short, it's fully functional with any Pentax K lens. http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-z-1-pz-1.html

You are quite right of course. I meant to say that you can't use Av mode with those lenses.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Oso

Link Posted 20/12/2011 - 15:42
Hi,

Thank you all for your further feedback, I'll take the plunge and go for an AF Pentax, Regards

Oso
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.