Lucky escape...


Benz3ne

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 09:19
So, I had a tremendous fright time last night.
Took a couple of photos before bed, popped camera down on the side-table in the hallway. I'd recently put a strap on the camera. My reasons for disclosing this will become evident soon...
Pottered around sorting out stuff for work today, saw the dogs up to bed, turned the lights off downstairs and made sure the front door was locked. Grabbed the camera, took a step towards the 'wooden hill', instant-and-unforeseen resistance and 'POP' out of my hand goes the camera before it made a speedy descent to the floor. The floor is laminate so has very minor give but is otherwise pretty hard. BANG. The strap had caught on one of the handles of the drawer of the side-table.
Other half: "What was that?!"
Me: "[Insert choice of expletives here], the [another expletive] camera!"
OH: "Oh goodness!"
Hastened to pick up camera, turned lights on, investigated camera. Camera looks okay. Lens looks okay... oh wait, there's a bit of a dent on the front rim and the lens cap...
*Turns focus ring*, well it feels okay...
*Turns aperture ring*, well it stops down okay...
No discernible scratches, scuffs, cracks to the glass.
*Turns camera on*, well it turns on. No odd whirring.
*Tries each and every button consecutively, multiple times*, well everything is working alright.
*Takes picture*, well, it takes photos.
*Changes lens for the only AF one I currently own*, well it autofocuses and takes pictures, no obvious difference...

This is what I would call my one lucky escape. This could have gone horribly wrong. I've not had a strap on any camera I've owned until Sunday for ease of taking pictures while walking the dogs. It is coming straight off it. I might get a Peak Design one so I can clip/unclip simply
Very glad this didn't end up a worse tale.

For what it's worth, my other half was concerned that I had broken one of her new plant pots.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?
I'm gutted that the Super-Takumar 35mm f/3.5 has a dent (sorry Lennybloke ), but it is a testament to how solidly these lenses are built.
Last Edited by Benz3ne on 10/06/2020 - 09:20

pschlute

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 11:14
Glad it is ok. I make a habit whenever I pick up my camera to always wrap the strap around my wrist if I don't put it over my neck.
Peter



My Flickr page

Helpful

Benz3ne

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 11:19
pschlute wrote:
Glad it is ok. I make a habit whenever I pick up my camera to always wrap the strap around my wrist if I don't put it over my neck.

Me too! That's a good habit. It's funny though, I had it over my neck to take pictures, put it down briefly and was only going to transport it up a flight of stairs into the study-come-spare bedroom and WALLOP.
What's more frustrating is that I have never used a neck strap and within a week of putting one on the camera this happens.
Live and learn as they say!

fatspider

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 11:32
I couldn't imagine using a camera without a strap, It makes me cringe watching youtube reviewers waving cameras around in one hand, especially Kai from DigitalRev . I think if you always use a strap it becomes instinct to be wary of it. I'm with Peter on this, if it's not round my neck it gets wrapped around my wrist.

Good to hear all is OK though.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Helpful

Lubbyman

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 11:37
You sound very relieved!!!

+1 for wrapping strap round wrist if not round neck. And when camera is left for a while, the strap is looped up with an elastic band or cable tie so it doesn't go all over the place when camera is picked up.

Incidentally, just because the strap caught on a drawer handle doesn't mean it has to come straight off. My trouser pockets often catch on door handles, but you'll all be pleased to know that I'm still wearing trousers!

Benz3ne wrote:
Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?

Some similarities to what happened to me 15 years ago. Wife and I on holiday in the Outer Hebrides. Stopped at a remote bit of coast to buy smoked salmon (as you do). Rocky beach looked interesting for a photo or two. Clambered down onto rocks covered in wet seaweed, being very careful of course. Wife stayed in car. I slipped, went horizontal. Heard bang as camera (P30 film thing) hit rocks. Sharp pain in foot, so stayed on ground for a few seconds working out how to get up without immediately going down again. Lorry pulls up, big bloke gets out, asks if I'm OK and helps me get up and back to the car. Wife has been silent throughout. Some 'interesting' words exchanged. It turned out she had thought I was doing something silly to get a good angle for a photo...

And the camera and lens? A bit of a ding on the rim of the filter, but otherwise OK. Pentax builds 'em tough. Tougher than me - a badly sprained foot that took a couple of months to get back to normal and still gives the occasional twinge.

Steve
Last Edited by Lubbyman on 10/06/2020 - 11:37

Helpful

Benz3ne

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 11:55
fatspider wrote:
I couldn't imagine using a camera without a strap, It makes me cringe watching youtube reviewers waving cameras around in one hand, especially Kai from DigitalRev . I think if you always use a strap it becomes instinct to be wary of it. I'm with Peter on this, if it's not round my neck it gets wrapped around my wrist.

Good to hear all is OK though.

Seems to be the norm, wrapping around hand if not on neck. I've been tempted by a hand/wrist strap instead at times. Gives some fall-protection but then doesn't dangle when not on a neck...

Benz3ne

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 12:00
Lubbyman wrote:
You sound very relieved!!!

+1 for wrapping strap round wrist if not round neck. And when camera is left for a while, the strap is looped up with an elastic band or cable tie so it doesn't go all over the place when camera is picked up.

Incidentally, just because the strap caught on a drawer handle doesn't mean it has to come straight off. My trouser pockets often catch on door handles, but you'll all be pleased to know that I'm still wearing trousers!

Benz3ne wrote:
Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?

Some similarities to what happened to me 15 years ago. Wife and I on holiday in the Outer Hebrides. Stopped at a remote bit of coast to buy smoked salmon (as you do). Rocky beach looked interesting for a photo or two. Clambered down onto rocks covered in wet seaweed, being very careful of course. Wife stayed in car. I slipped, went horizontal. Heard bang as camera (P30 film thing) hit rocks. Sharp pain in foot, so stayed on ground for a few seconds working out how to get up without immediately going down again. Lorry pulls up, big bloke gets out, asks if I'm OK and helps me get up and back to the car. Wife has been silent throughout. Some 'interesting' words exchanged. It turned out she had thought I was doing something silly to get a good angle for a photo...

And the camera and lens? A bit of a ding on the rim of the filter, but otherwise OK. Pentax builds 'em tough. Tougher than me - a badly sprained foot that took a couple of months to get back to normal and still gives the occasional twinge.

Steve

Safe to say I am, Steve! Thing is, the camera must've been away from my person for circa 5 minutes TOPS before the incident.
The strap stayed firmly attached, which was probably more of an issue than had it detached - it was out of my hand that the system 'popped'. I, too, have caught trouser pockets and my 'bits' are still covered!
Haha, glad to hear of the obvious concern from your wife! Indeed, it's certainly a testament to the Tak lens... it's a tank. The camera itself isn't a Pentax, I'm afraid to say, but it came away unscathed so I can only assume that the brunt was absorbed by the lens' cap and rim.

bforbes

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 12:14
Have you thought of something like the Op/tech system, so you can fit neck or wrist strap depending on what you're doing. link
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Helpful

Benz3ne

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 12:19
bforbes wrote:
Have you thought of something like the Op/tech system, so you can fit neck or wrist strap depending on what you're doing. link

Yes! I hadn't come across OPTech but had come across PeakDesign which seems to be just as modular.
LINK.

MrB

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 12:21
My camera has a home made wrist strap attached, which is what I always hold when using it. While walking around photographing I also wear a neck strap, and I clip the camera to that but only if ever and only while I need both hands free.

A potential disaster happened with my almost new K-5 back in 2012. On one occasion when I returned home, I stepped out of the car, walked around to the passenger side, opened the door and took out my coat which was on the passenger seat. However, the camera was also on the seat and was dragged out with the coat to crash onto the tarmac. Fortunately it was the base of the K-5 that hit the ground, and the only damage was the paint scraped off the corner - lens and camera still worked fine.

Philip

Helpful

RobL

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 12:29
Horrible experience! I was in a bird hide once and had rested my camera with a big Sigma attached on the little shelf when someone next to me opened the flap and sent them crashing to the floor - timber luckily and just the very faintest of marks.

The Peak Design clips are a godsend as I am always taking the strap off and putting it back on again. For a while I used a wrist strap - never hold the camera without something - but have gone back to a neck strap most of the time as it is much easier to change lenses or filters in the field. The wrist strap is handy though for when you have just the one lens and are walking around snapping as in street photography.

Helpful

barkin

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 12:31
Similar to me, many years ago with my newly acquired K30/2.8. Luckily the only damage was to the UV filter...

Helpful

Benz3ne

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 13:08
MrB wrote:
My camera has a home made wrist strap attached, which is what I always hold when using it. While walking around photographing I also wear a neck strap, and I clip the camera to that but only if ever and only while I need both hands free.

A potential disaster happened with my almost new K-5 back in 2012. On one occasion when I returned home, I stepped out of the car, walked around to the passenger side, opened the door and took out my coat which was on the passenger seat. However, the camera was also on the seat and was dragged out with the coat to crash onto the tarmac. Fortunately it was the base of the K-5 that hit the ground, and the only damage was the paint scraped off the corner - lens and camera still worked fine.

Philip

Homemade sounds good! I'm not absolutely certain where I'd begin there, though... nor do I have a sewing machine nor leather tools. That's a testament to a solid camera, for sure! There aren't many that would survive such accidental abuse like that.

RobL wrote:
Horrible experience! I was in a bird hide once and had rested my camera with a big Sigma attached on the little shelf when someone next to me opened the flap and sent them crashing to the floor - timber luckily and just the very faintest of marks.

The Peak Design clips are a godsend as I am always taking the strap off and putting it back on again. For a while I used a wrist strap - never hold the camera without something - but have gone back to a neck strap most of the time as it is much easier to change lenses or filters in the field. The wrist strap is handy though for when you have just the one lens and are walking around snapping as in street photography.

Horrible is definitely the word for it! That is a horrific experience! I'm not sure whether it's worse when someone else is involved in the tumbling... I felt horrendous last night until I'd spent around 45 minutes checking everything over, ha.
I'm very keen on that Cuff one from PD. I don't really change lenses in the field unless I've a rucksack with me, at which point I will set that down and use it as a 'table' of sorts if I need to for changing lenses. Otherwise, I'm a one-lens-per-walk kinda chap.

barkin wrote:
Similar to me, many years ago with my newly acquired K30/2.8. Luckily the only damage was to the UV filter...

That sounds grim - it's one of those heart-stopping moments isn't it? I bet it was made worse with a lesser-spotted lens such as that K30/2.8!

barkin

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 13:25
barkin wrote:
Similar to me, many years ago with my newly acquired K30/2.8. Luckily the only damage was to the UV filter...

That sounds grim - it's one of those heart-stopping moments isn't it? I bet it was made worse with a lesser-spotted lens such as that K30/2.8![/quote]

---x---

I didn't think or realise it was a rare bird at the time. I only had a 50mm and wanted a wide angle of some sort, thinking I'd get a 28mm. It popped up in the local classified's, attached to a K1000 - which I've still got.

Last time I used it (the K1000) was at a space shuttle launch in Florida in 2002. I got it out the other day, and everything still works perfectly - even the meter battery's still good

Helpful

LennyBloke

Link Posted 10/06/2020 - 13:47
My worst experience was dropping my Pentax LX from a first floor window whilst taking moon shots over 30 years ago - it was a write-off, but the insurance covered it and they allowed me to keep it and I was able to part-exchange the body for parts (the viewfinder was dented but fine).

I'm not a fan of permanently attached straps and I moved to the OP/Tech Utility strap a few years ago: https://www.johnlewis.com/op-tech-utility-camera-strap/p559346?sku=232184307&s_p...
...and I like the fact that it includes 2 short "tails" allowing me to interchange cameras onto the strap. It's also very comfortable once you get the position sorted to suit you.

Good job you had one of those famous Takumar Camera Protectors on at the time
LennyBloke

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.