Longer zoom thoughts

Greytop
Posted 22/02/2010 - 14:09 Link
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Richard.
No I don't intend selling my 60-250 to fund this although I will be letting my 35 LTD go and revisiting that focal length in the future. In reality I have pretty reasonable coverage (FA 28, FA 50 and 16-50) in that area at the moment anyway.
With regard to a future 100-300 with HSM, that would be nice and I would have thought relatively easy for Sigma to do as they already offer it in Canon and Nikon mounts. Still I guess if you waited and waited for the next model you would never end up procuring any kit in the first place

I will have to see how long it takes to get the funds together and hope I don't have a washing machine or TV go pop in the mean time
Regards Huw

flickr
Edited by Greytop: 22/02/2010 - 14:15
Mike-P
Posted 22/02/2010 - 14:17 Link
Greytop wrote:


I will have to see how long it takes to get the funds together and hope I don't have a washing machine or TV go pop in the mean time
Don't forget the laptop and Sigma 1.4x TC that got dunked in coffee.
Greytop
Posted 22/02/2010 - 14:21 Link
Oh boy, how did you manage that?

Must admit I'm pretty religious when I come to liquid avoidance with my laptop

But a TC and coffee??
Regards Huw

flickr
Mike-P
Posted 22/02/2010 - 14:33 Link
A few months ago my son knocked a cup of coffee over that was on a table that I had just put the Sigma TC on. The coffee flowed round the Tc but my wife, in her infinate wisdom decided to pick it up and shake the coffee off. At this point the hot sticky liquid (that was only around the outside of said teleconverter) flowed through the electronics and aperture so causing it to completely gunk up and cost me £80 for a dismantle and clean.

A few weeks ago my son knocked over yet another cup of coffee onto my laptop which I had put on the floor .. lid was closed so not too bad up until my wife picked up the laptop and .. yes, you guessed it .. shook the coffee off .. which then flowed into the back and insides of the laptop causing it to completely die.

Excuse my slow reply but at this point I burst into tears ...
Greytop
Posted 22/02/2010 - 14:43 Link
I see a potential film script here.... 'carry on cameras'

Seriously though that's pretty bad luck
Regards Huw

flickr
techno-terminator
Posted 22/02/2010 - 16:24 Link
Well it's been a chapter of woes - but hopefully that's the end of it .

Mike-P's had his 3 catastrophes - so all should be well for a while now
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Roscoe
Posted 22/02/2010 - 17:15 Link
Greytop wrote:
I'm thinking of (have been thinking for a while) about a longer zoom. It will be used for wildlife and occasional air show shots. My priority is image quality and light gathering capability.

I already have the 60-250 which is a lovely lens but unfortunately doesn't pair too well with tele-converters. I shall be keeping it though just because the image quality is rather nice

So in addition I'm currently thinking along the lines of the following two options:-

1) Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF together with a Sigma 1.4x APO Tele-converter
2) Sigma 150-500mm f/5.6-6.3 APO DG HSM

Obviously option one is more costly and shorter but gives more flexibility and a faster aperture at the long end. Image quality seems to be generally excellent from what I've read even with the matched tele-converter (which is important to me)
Option two gives me more money in my piggy bank and is an all in one solution with a longer focal length. However it's a bit heavier and probably less flexible that the 100-300 + x1.4 solution. Not sure whether HSM is a good or bad thing?

I would be interested to know users thoughts on image quality, built quality general ease of use. Perhaps also some other options I could consider in this sort of price range.
Thanks.
Hello Huw,

Have you thought of the Sigma 50-500mm f4-f6.3 lens, in Pentax fit?

Kindest regards,

Peter.
Ps,I did ask Father Christmas for one, but sadly he didn't oblige!
Greytop
Posted 22/02/2010 - 17:28 Link
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes the 50-500 was a consideration but I understand it needs a bit of stopping down at the long end to maintain some degree of sharpness. I fear that it would then be a bit too slow for my needs.
The new version (soon to be released) might be an improvement but I'm sure the price will need to be enhanced as well (they usually go hand in hand). So it looks like the 100-300 with 1.4x APO is favourite at the moment
Regards Huw

flickr
Posted 22/02/2010 - 17:38 Link
All this talk of the sigma 100-300mm and 1.4 tele has got me excited. I'm managed to procure one and am waiting for it to be delivered. Can't wait! If it is half as good as everyone says I will be a very pleased amateur photographer indeed.

Suffice to say I will be learning from Mike and keeping coffee well away...

I actually wouldn't bet against an HSM version being released as the price of the existing lens fell recently which could indicate them clearing the way for a new version. From what I understand the screw drive is pretty fast focussing though so I am happy.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Greytop
Posted 24/02/2010 - 23:22 Link
WobblyGoblin wrote:
All this talk of the sigma 100-300mm and 1.4 tele has got me excited. I'm managed to procure one and am waiting for it to be delivered. Can't wait! If it is half as good as everyone says I will be a very pleased amateur photographer indeed.

Suffice to say I will be learning from Mike and keeping coffee well away...

I actually wouldn't bet against an HSM version being released as the price of the existing lens fell recently which could indicate them clearing the way for a new version. From what I understand the screw drive is pretty fast focussing though so I am happy.
I'll be interested to know how you get on with it when you have a chance to test it.
Regards Huw

flickr
alfiemooon
Posted 25/02/2010 - 22:08 Link
bretti_kivi wrote:
... now you're just showing off.

Niiice shot.

Bret
Only coz he can...he he he
...and I`m pig sick after seeing that shot.

Nic
K10D,K20D
Pentax 18-55,Tamron AF 70-300,Sigma 150-500
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo