London Travel Advice Needed


bettyswolloks

Link Posted 12/04/2013 - 20:13
Hello all I'm/we're off to London next weekend, the wife and my 2 boys. Friday we'll be doing the Harry Potter tour, staying in Watford. The hotel is only 5mins from Pentaxia or SRS as some call it
So after we've done our respective tours its off into London. What's the best way to pay for the traveling? Oyster/Travel card? Or as and when with cash? The eye is on our list as is the usual things, big ben, Buckingham palace etc etc etc.
Is there anything or anywhere you would recommend? We have a full day, Saturday, to fill.
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group

punkrockemo

Link Posted 12/04/2013 - 20:21
When i go into london i normally get a travel card, that lets me use bus and tubes, it can work out well if you are going to lots of places.

Helpful

Gwyn

Link Posted 12/04/2013 - 20:54
You can use an Oyster on trains from Watford Junction.
The Travelcard you can't, but it does offer some two for one deals.

aper.And.Oyster.Travelcards.2.4.1.Offers.html">www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c133479/London:United-Kingdomaper.And.Oyste...

Explains it all, sort of.

Problem with the link it seems. I'll Tiny URL it and re post it.
Last Edited by Gwyn on 12/04/2013 - 20:57

Gwyn

Link Posted 12/04/2013 - 20:58
OK here is the Tiny URL for the link: http://tinyurl.com/dyxuu79

I hope that works.

Helpful

greynolds999

Link Posted 12/04/2013 - 21:10
The official site is http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/

It's for ordering online but shows the prices. You can get a visitor Oyster card, but if you're planning to travel a lot over the weekend you might be better with a travelcard.

Or you might need a mixture!

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/help-centre/ticket-comparison.html
My Photobucket

Helpful

josiahk

Link Posted 12/04/2013 - 21:15
For things to do, I would recommend a wander round the British Museum. Fascinating things, and quite camera friendly too (at least it was last time I went), so long as you leave the flash off.

Really though, London has so many things that you can fill a day with pretty much anything you can think of.

I hope you have a good time
Narcoleptic with a camera

Helpful

steven9761

Link Posted 12/04/2013 - 21:38
The Oyster Card (and, I think a rail travel card) will get you discounts to the attractions you mentioned - or some at least.

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 12/04/2013 - 21:45
Maybe that after the 5 minute walk to SRS that you have no money left for travelling or sightseeing?

AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Helpful

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 12/04/2013 - 23:29
I've been going to London a fair bit this year... Oyster card has made it a pretty easy experience getting around
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Helpful

gartmore

Link Posted 13/04/2013 - 07:01
I was there necessarily with my car last week, £50 for four hours in NCP!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Gamka

Link Posted 13/04/2013 - 08:34
Get an Oyster card immediately on arrival and then add the travel card to it.

Keep the Oyster card for your next trip.

Helpful

JohnX

Link Posted 13/04/2013 - 08:41
Gwyn wrote:
You can use an Oyster on trains from Watford Junction.
The Travelcard you can't, but it does offer some two for one deals.

aper.And.Oyster.Travelcards.2.4.1.Offers.html">www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c133479/London:United-Kingdomaper.And.Oyste...

Explains it all, sort of.

Problem with the link it seems. I'll Tiny URL it and re post it.

Travelcards are available to/from Watford Junction - (£15.70 off-peak)- but you'll save £3.60 per ticket if you just walk down to Watford High Street station and buy a Zones 1-8 off-peak travel card for £12.10.

Oops! Just realised the travel query is for to-day. Hope you found this out before hand?
Last Edited by JohnX on 13/04/2013 - 08:43

Helpful

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 13/04/2013 - 10:31
JohnX wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
You can use an Oyster on trains from Watford Junction.
The Travelcard you can't, but it does offer some two for one deals.

aper.And.Oyster.Travelcards.2.4.1.Offers.html">www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c133479/London:United-Kingdomaper.And.Oyste...

Explains it all, sort of.

Problem with the link it seems. I'll Tiny URL it and re post it.

Travelcards are available to/from Watford Junction - (£15.70 off-peak)- but you'll save £3.60 per ticket if you just walk down to Watford High Street station and buy a Zones 1-8 off-peak travel card for £12.10.

Oops! Just realised the travel query is for to-day. Hope you found this out before hand?

Not going till next weekend Mate, we land on the 19th
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group

JohnX

Link Posted 13/04/2013 - 10:57


The High Street station is about 10 minutes away from SRS.

Decided on where you're going in London yet?

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 13/04/2013 - 12:20
JohnX wrote:


The High Street station is about 10 minutes away from SRS.

Decided on where you're going in London yet?

The 1st day is gunna be spent in the Harry Potter studio, infact I think I'll have to sedate my boys to get them out of there!! The eye, brit museum and a river cruise are all pencilled in so far.
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.