Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

London Travel Advice Needed

bettyswolloks
Posted 13/04/2013 - 13:39 Link
Just found this, 2for1 offer that seems ok.
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 14/04/2013 - 09:19 Link
I'm guessing you did the hotel booking?

I'm going to be in London with my wife and two friends the weekend after you. From what I've seen, the travel card is the best option as it gives 2-for-1 entry to a lot of places. However, there are a couple of caveats:

1. It needs to be bought from a central London station, anywhere else won't do, there's a list somewhere online.

2. You need to print the 2-for-1 vouchers off from the internet. Unless you're taking a printer with you, this will need to be done before you go, which I need to look into this week.

I'm not sure where you stand with the kids - maybe 2-for-1 is valid for them too, if not, maybe it will be cheaper using it for adult tickets than paying full price for two kid tickets.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
bettyswolloks
Posted 14/04/2013 - 09:36 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I'm guessing you did the hotel booking?

I'm going to be in London with my wife and two friends the weekend after you. From what I've seen, the travel card is the best option as it gives 2-for-1 entry to a lot of places. However, there are a couple of caveats:

1. It needs to be bought from a central London station, anywhere else won't do, there's a list somewhere online.

2. You need to print the 2-for-1 vouchers off from the internet. Unless you're taking a printer with you, this will need to be done before you go, which I need to look into this week.

I'm not sure where you stand with the kids - maybe 2-for-1 is valid for them too, if not, maybe it will be cheaper using it for adult tickets than paying full price for two kid tickets.

Yeah the hotel was booked months ago and the 2-4-1's are printed, they don't say that we can't use them for the kids so the assumption is that we can.
Posted 14/04/2013 - 21:12 Link
bettyswolloks wrote:
Hello all I'm/we're off to London next weekend, the wife and my 2 boys. Friday we'll be doing the Harry Potter tour, staying in Watford. The hotel is only 5mins from Pentaxia or SRS as some call it
So after we've done our respective tours its off into London. What's the best way to pay for the traveling? Oyster/Travel card? Or as and when with cash? The eye is on our list as is the usual things, big ben, Buckingham palace etc etc etc.
Is there anything or anywhere you would recommend? We have a full day, Saturday, to fill.

SRS is a mighty decent shop staffed by decent folk. Watford is too damned near Ealing for the good of my wallet to tell the truth...I have to restrain myself every bloody time I go there!! As for the smoke, It's a zonking big city bruv, and it eats up your time like a starved dog...especially when you're on a one day sortie
As you're a 'togger, It has to include the eye which in turn then puts you in a radius for the queen's chav' shack and other such notable London landmarks. Keep your wallet close to your skin and your kit bag zipped tight though...they don't call it sh*t city for nothing!
dangie
Posted 15/04/2013 - 17:02 Link
bettyswolloks wrote:
...The eye is on our list...

If you haven't prebooked then be prepared for a long wait. Well worthwhile booking beforehand and given a time. Then you'll get fastracked on.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Gamka
Posted 15/04/2013 - 17:55 Link
Also have a look at:

http://www.londoneye.com/TicketsAndPrices/Packages/AttractionsAndShows/4_attract...

The 2for1 offer will be on the full price adult tickets (check Ts&Cs http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/edf-energy-london-eye-2-for-1-entry-f... ). So you could buy two adults and have a free child on each. Total £189 ! Which will be cheaper than a £200 advance purchase for family of four.

If you get an Oyster card - note that PEAK travel times/fares are applicable between 16:00 & 19:00 based, I believe on when you start the journey.
Edited by Gamka: 15/04/2013 - 17:55
geordie01
Posted 15/04/2013 - 18:05 Link
When we used to go to London before Boris banned our motor home for being to heavy I used to get on off peak travel card at the railway station and then use the Thames Clippers to get around you get a discount with your travel card much better than the buses or tube if you want to get around close to the river.
bettyswolloks
Posted 15/04/2013 - 18:08 Link
Gamka wrote:
Also have a look at:

http://www.londoneye.com/TicketsAndPrices/Packages/AttractionsAndShows/4_attract...

The 2for1 offer will be on the full price adult tickets (check Ts&Cs http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/edf-energy-london-eye-2-for-1-entry-f... ). So you could buy two adults and have a free child on each. Total £189 ! Which will be cheaper than a £200 advance purchase for family of four.

If you get an Oyster card - note that PEAK travel times/fares are applicable between 16:00 & 19:00 based, I believe on when you start the journey.

We only really fancy doing the London eye out of the 4 possible so we plan on just using the 2 for 1 there that way the kids get for free.
OldTaffy
Posted 15/04/2013 - 18:12 Link
A couple of weeks back, my wife was at a conference at the Docklands Museum, near Canary Wharf. We stayed in Greenwich (left car in hotel for just £5 per night). It was a bit hard to find where to buy our Oyster Cards, but a Greenwich tourist-souvenier shop sold them. Using them on Docklands Light Railway cost about one third of buying tickets for cash. Don't forget to 'swipe' the cards when you get off, as well as when you get on, else you get charged for the whole journey to the terminus!

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
smudge
Posted 15/04/2013 - 18:20 Link
I am a bit confused by this comparison between the cost of using an Oyster card vs a travelcard. AFAIK an Oyster card will never be more expensive than a travel card. If you use it constantly all day it will still charge you as a maximum the same that a travelcard would have cost you for that same day. Of course the associated 2 for 1 offers may be a consideration.
Regards, Philip
JohnX
Posted 15/04/2013 - 22:13 Link
smudge wrote:
I am a bit confused by this comparison between the cost of using an Oyster card vs a travelcard. AFAIK an Oyster card will never be more expensive than a travel card. If you use it constantly all day it will still charge you as a maximum the same that a travelcard would have cost you for that same day. Of course the associated 2 for 1 offers may be a consideration.

Don't you have to buy the Oyster card itself, or at least pay a deposit?
smudge
Posted 16/04/2013 - 08:26 Link
JohnX wrote:
smudge wrote:

Ah yes....good point, I'd forgotten about the initial £5 charge for the card. Not so good for a short stay then. Of course I use my 'wrinklies' card nowadays.
Regards, Philip
timothyw
Posted 16/04/2013 - 09:43 Link
smudge wrote:
JohnX wrote:
Quote:

Ah yes....good point, I'd forgotten about the initial £5 charge for the card. Not so good for a short stay then. Of course I use my 'wrinklies' card nowadays.

The £5 is a deposit, you can return the Oyster and get your deposit back when you leave.

Obviously this depends on you having a manned ticket office at the end of your trip, so it might be worth spending the extra few pennies to just get paper travelcards.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.