London by night

aminstar
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:04 Link
Albert Bridge, C&C welcome please
thank you

Comment Image
jackitec
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:12 Link
Great photo Amin, but right bottom a bit dark, try selective brightness
aminstar
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:14 Link
jackitec wrote:
Great photo Amin, but right bottom a bit dark, try selective brightness
Thanks Jack.

Selective brightness? that's chinese for me Jack , but let me go check that out. I also noticed that but didn't know how to get around that. So aparently there is a way out. Will go find it and see if I can improve that
RR
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:17 Link
The crop of the bridge seems a little abrupt to me, I'd have like to see the bridge ropes cropped at their natural point where they meet the roadway. There also seem to be some artifacts in the light graduation above the bridge, although this could be due to the resolution adjustment for resizing.
jackitec
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:18 Link
Yes sounds good Amin I just tried it it's not so easy as I thought,
aminstar
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:23 Link
RR wrote:
The crop of the bridge seems a little abrupt to me, I'd have like to see the bridge ropes cropped at their natural point where they meet the roadway. There also seem to be some artifacts in the light graduation above the bridge, although this could be due to the resolution adjustment for resizing.
Thanks Bob.
This is the whole image as it was taken. I didn't crop it. I also would love to have been able to get the whole image until end but that was impossible as this was taken from the footpath and anyone who knows the Albert Bridge will notice that to do that it meant getting a whole bunch of ugly part of the footpath into the frame.

With regard to light graduation above the bridge it could well have been due to my inexperience in getting the right adjustments from RAW while converting it.

Thanks
RR
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:29 Link
It's always easy to offer a view on composition, but as you say, we don't always know what lies just beyond the frame.

You could always try a gentle "smudge" of the pixellated area, easier said than done though.

The beatiful reflected light on the left & the buildings centre right with the stark horizontal lines hold most appeal for me. I think there are several more shots to be had here. I really like night photography, I just can't get motivated to go out late. The nights are drawing in though.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:29 Link
Amin, it's a nice try, but I think it would have been better taken a bit earlier in the evening when there was more light in the sky. That would have put a bit of colour into all the areas that are black in your shot, helping with the contrast.

I took one of the Millenium Bridge last year, and although I'm not 100% happy with the colour of the sky (low cloud reflecting the street lights etc), at least it illustrates what I mean.

Comment Image


If you shot yours in RAW, have a play with the white balance and see if that brings out any detail in the sky or river (I have no idea what the WB ended up at for my shot, it's certainly not natural), you never know...

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
jackitec
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:31 Link
This IS a hard one to sort out Amin but It's past my bedtime so might have a go tomorrow, bye for now and goodnight, Jack.
RR
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:31 Link
Forgot to say.. I've noticed alot of outdoors stuff from you lately. There isn't an issue with the shed is there ? Neighbours complaining about the constant flashes being emmitted from the bottom of the garden ? Can we expect a username change from Aminstar to AminAsbo ?
aminstar
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:34 Link
This is as far as I could incorporate the other end of the bridge and you can already see the wall of the footpath. I was going to crop it but throught of showing it before cropping it so you could have an idea of what I meant earlier.

Comment Image
aminstar
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:43 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Amin, it's a nice try, but I think it would have been better taken a bit earlier in the evening when there was more light in the sky. That would have put a bit of colour into all the areas that are black in your shot, helping with the contrast.

I took one of the Millenium Bridge last year, and although I'm not 100% happy with the colour of the sky (low cloud reflecting the street lights etc), at least it illustrates what I mean.

Comment Image


If you shot yours in RAW, have a play with the white balance and see if that brings out any detail in the sky or river (I have no idea what the WB ended up at for my shot, it's certainly not natural), you never know...

Dan
Dan, that is one heck of a cracking shot. I went out looking for something like that but as you pointed out it was too late on the day. In fact it was past midnight yesterday when I took these ones.

So your advice is to get these shots when there is still light in the sky? Good, will plan another trip with my camera when I am due to be around the town late then.

Did try to fiddle with the white balance but it brings up a lot of noise, but to be honest didn't put too much effort into it. I will go back and see what it brings up.
It definitely loses out the warm colours and in the beginning I thought it would lose the impact but now looking at your image the lack of that warm glow and the incorporation of the whitish lights adds to the beauty.

Off to try with one of the shots then.

Bob, I thought of trying my hand with some outdoor shots as my portfolio of PPG is full of shots from my shed and a few of wildlife, before I get stuck with some nasty nick name linked with the shed and wildlife images . Have a few in my portfolio and not one of a landscape. Thought of remedying it . Hence trying some outdoor shots

Wales here I come , will drop you a line when I plan a trip Bob
Daniel Bridge
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:50 Link
aminstar wrote:
So your advice is to get these shots when there is still light in the sky?
Definitely. I would say not long after sunset really, once the sunset colours have faded and you just have a nice blue. Obviously a clear night's best.

Have fun!

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
RR
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:56 Link
Twilight can be absolutely fantastic, but often you don't have long when the light is "just right". It's best to have a shot in mind & turn up a little early to get your composition right. Then it's just a matter of getting the exposure right (no mean feat). Dawn twilight can be especially beautiful, but getting out of bed is the real challenge.
nathanever82
Posted 12/09/2009 - 23:56 Link
The second photo is definitely a better composition than the first one you posted

Daniel's suggestion of shooting earlier in the evening is priceless. I have shot around the area in the past, and the hour before sundown until darkness is definitely much better...

This is one of mine ... (show off.. )

[IMG]http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u332/nathanever82/TowerBridge4.jpg[/IMG]
'Between the lights there is always a shadow'

www.nathanservi.com & PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo