Liquid art
Posted 17/07/2009 - 08:34
Link
mikew wrote:
All the images are to some degree random in any case aren't they - or can you judge when to fire the flash and capture a shape deliberately?
Mike
Hi MikeAll the images are to some degree random in any case aren't they - or can you judge when to fire the flash and capture a shape deliberately?
Mike
A few things determine the shape and height of the droplet reflections. Height from which it is dropped, the size of the droplets (the diameter of the opening from where it falls off), the shape of the container where the liquid falls into including the amount of liquid in the container itself. Some other more variable exists such as the density of the liquid itself but leaving those smaller details mainly if you concentrate just on the height from where they drop and the amount of liquid in the container you can more or less obtain the shapes you want with a certain degree of accuracy. It won't be of course hundred percent but definitely a fairly good chance of obtaining the shapes and then with practice you learn to fire the shutter/flash at the precise time when you want the shape captured.
With practise it does become fairly easy I must say.
But I am still battling with a few problems as I would like to improve these shots further. I personally feel that I haven't even hit the half way mark, hence the frustrations at times when I am on it
Amin Photo Gallery
Posted 17/07/2009 - 08:43
Link
Mike
This one for example is part of the sequence that is very close in fraction of seconds apart from the No6.
Once you capture a particular shape then you just work around releasing the shutter/flash very nearer to that timing spot so you can get the shapes around that. You can notice that this one I snapped just a fraction of a second earlier than I was doing when I captured the No6. On this one the long droplet had just achieved its maximum height and was about to start receeding. Once I got one of these then I can try to time it up more or less and get the shapes related to that sequence.
Its never going to be spot on each time you snap them but definitely you increase your chances of capturing them by calculations of this sort.

This one for example is part of the sequence that is very close in fraction of seconds apart from the No6.
Once you capture a particular shape then you just work around releasing the shutter/flash very nearer to that timing spot so you can get the shapes around that. You can notice that this one I snapped just a fraction of a second earlier than I was doing when I captured the No6. On this one the long droplet had just achieved its maximum height and was about to start receeding. Once I got one of these then I can try to time it up more or less and get the shapes related to that sequence.
Its never going to be spot on each time you snap them but definitely you increase your chances of capturing them by calculations of this sort.

Amin Photo Gallery
Posted 17/07/2009 - 08:54
Link
Same principle applies to the crown effect shapes, just timing it fraction quicker or slower gets the shape variations from the main ones.
As long as you find the basic principles and apply the variables for the main shapes then you just work around it.

As long as you find the basic principles and apply the variables for the main shapes then you just work around it.

Amin Photo Gallery
Posted 17/07/2009 - 09:04
Link
This one is purely for demonstration purposes as I think it lacks any artistic appeal at all. Having said that I know quite a few from the sequences I post do lack any artistic appeal but I just find it a lot of fun doing it.
You will notice on these ones the shapes of the bowl and amount of liquid is different and the effect is totally different from the crown one. It tends to rise in a column rather than splash into a crown shape. Then from here you just time it accordingly. You can see the effect on the little droplet on a very particular timing on this one also

You will notice on these ones the shapes of the bowl and amount of liquid is different and the effect is totally different from the crown one. It tends to rise in a column rather than splash into a crown shape. Then from here you just time it accordingly. You can see the effect on the little droplet on a very particular timing on this one also

Amin Photo Gallery
Posted 17/07/2009 - 11:44
Link
Have you tried some with longer shutterspeed so that you see the motion, you could then freeze moments during the exposure with your flash you know.
I don't have the setup ready but I'm quite interesting how that will look.
I don't have the setup ready but I'm quite interesting how that will look.
Posted 17/07/2009 - 11:45
Link
cardiff_gareth wrote:
What lens are you using can I ask ?
DFA 100mm macro if I'm correct or the DA60-250 but don't think so.
What lens are you using can I ask ?
Posted 17/07/2009 - 12:49
Link
aminstar, are you using the Tamron 90mm macro to shoot these? If you are I will seriously consider getting out a bowl and a water dropper at the weekend... especially if it keeps raining!
Great shots, as always, and thanks for your insight into how you achieve these shots... where's my tripod level...
Fiona
Great shots, as always, and thanks for your insight into how you achieve these shots... where's my tripod level...
Fiona
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep". ~Scott Adams
Q | Various Q lenses & filters | KP | 35mm 2.8 Macro
Q | Various Q lenses & filters | KP | 35mm 2.8 Macro
Posted 17/07/2009 - 21:31
Link
Utopia Poppy wrote:
aminstar, are you using the Tamron 90mm macro to shoot these? If you are I will seriously consider getting out a bowl and a water dropper at the weekend... especially if it keeps raining!
Great shots, as always, and thanks for your insight into how you achieve these shots... where's my tripod level...
Fiona
Fiona aminstar, are you using the Tamron 90mm macro to shoot these? If you are I will seriously consider getting out a bowl and a water dropper at the weekend... especially if it keeps raining!
Great shots, as always, and thanks for your insight into how you achieve these shots... where's my tripod level...
Fiona
you will have plenty of fun, try them.
Macro lens, I use the 100mm but I am sure the Tamy also will do Fiona. Work around the F stops, I usually keep them between 8 to 16 but mostly 8 to 11, below that it starts becoming darker and I have to play with the lights much more.
By the way sorry for the late reply, had a long long day
Amin Photo Gallery
Posted 17/07/2009 - 22:15
Link
aminstar wrote:
This is all result of empty wine glasses in the shed, you see? Reflections from corners, unlevelled camera on a tripod . Got to keep those glasses hidden so I can't reach them easily
Not sure if this is a good solution, I'd consider wine an inspiration Unless you mean getting rid of empty glasses to gain some space for full ones This is all result of empty wine glasses in the shed, you see? Reflections from corners, unlevelled camera on a tripod . Got to keep those glasses hidden so I can't reach them easily
Amazing pictures, Amin.
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Posted 17/07/2009 - 22:19
Link
misiek_knm wrote:
Amazing pictures, Amin.
Thanks Grantham
aminstar wrote:
This is all result of empty wine glasses in the shed, you see? Reflections from corners, unlevelled camera on a tripod . Got to keep those glasses hidden so I can't reach them easily
Not sure if this is a good solution, I'd consider wine an inspiration Unless you mean getting rid of empty glasses to gain some space for full ones This is all result of empty wine glasses in the shed, you see? Reflections from corners, unlevelled camera on a tripod . Got to keep those glasses hidden so I can't reach them easily
Amazing pictures, Amin.
Amin Photo Gallery
Posted 17/07/2009 - 23:42
Link
GX10Cliff wrote:
Amin, these images are so inspirational too someone like me, I am definitely going to give it a try once the winter sets in (something to do on the long dark nights). Keep em cummin
Thanks Cliff,Amin, these images are so inspirational too someone like me, I am definitely going to give it a try once the winter sets in (something to do on the long dark nights). Keep em cummin
I love playing with these droplets. I have to admit that compared to smoke images these ones are really great for relaxation , and addictive
Amin Photo Gallery
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



2094 posts
17 years
London,
UK
Well done Amin! No#4 looks phalic! Is this deliberate? Thank you for sharing.
But hey, what do I know? I am just a simple guy who loves to lock myself in the shed and just snap some wine glasses and water drop images , particularly when I am stressed so I might lack any vision or any sense of fertile imagination similar to yours.