Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lightroom mobile

Darkmunk
Posted 12/06/2014 - 08:43 Link
Anyone had any experience of Lightroom on an iPad?
I'm spending a lot of time photographing away from home and I'd like to be able to sort through the images and do superficial editing in the evening.
Apparently LR can do this and send the changes to the desktop version when you get back.
But there's probably a catch?
gartmore
Posted 12/06/2014 - 08:56 Link
I can't see that there should be, I've been using Photogene for the same reasons and the only difficult part is working on localised areas with your finger tips.

I deal if you quickly want to upload to your website for example. You'll have to buy the Apple camera adapter of course.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Darkmunk
Posted 12/06/2014 - 09:04 Link
So you're on the iPad Ken?
I'm not au fait with IPad and the accessories. I assumed I would need to WiFi the images across or wait till I'm back at the Mac, but I can just just use a cable. Wondrous! How did apple let that slip through
cabstar
Posted 12/06/2014 - 09:09 Link
Lightroom on the ipad works in conjunction with your computer.

You have to upload the images to your computer then sync them with your ipad. On the ipad you can then do basic editing and select images to keep or delete.

For editing on the go photo gene as mentioned is the app to get.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
cabstar
Posted 12/06/2014 - 09:12 Link
Darkmunk wrote:
I'm not au fait with IPad and the accessories. I assumed I would need to WiFi the images across or wait till I'm back at the Mac, but I can just just use a cable. Wondrous! How did apple let that slip through

The cheap Chinese ipad camera kits work well with the ipad but none of the camera kits work with the iphone. I use a wifi card to get my images across to the ipad or iphone.
Concert photography

Posted 12/06/2014 - 09:12 Link
If you subscribe to Apples iCloud, any photographs taken with or uploaded to iPad will automatically be copied to your Mac and your iPhone, presuming you have that as well of course
Darkmunk wrote:

Darkmunk
Posted 12/06/2014 - 09:25 Link
I'm using Creative Cloud, so everything is 'free' (ha), hence Lightroom.
Still not sure if I should just get a cheap laptop, but the thought of using Windows or trying to find a decent image editor for Ubuntu makes me shudder
Posted 12/06/2014 - 13:26 Link
None, as far as I can see, edits to images are sent from iPad as a sidecar file (XML) listing exactly what has changed, this is the reason edits are performed within seconds, the sidecar file is a fraction of the image size
Darkmunk wrote:
I'm spending a lot of time photographing away from home and I'd like to be able to sort through the images and do superficial editing in the evening.
Apparently LR can do this and send the changes to the desktop version when you get back.

Edited by Glowingblue: 12/06/2014 - 13:26
cabstar
Posted 12/06/2014 - 14:20 Link
Glowingblue wrote:
None, as far as I can see, edits to images are sent from iPad as a sidecar file (XML) listing exactly what has changed, this is the reason edits are performed within seconds, the sidecar file is a fraction of the image size
Darkmunk wrote:

The only catch is the images have to be on the computer first, you can't edit images in lightroom on the iPad that have been transferred to the iPad either through a wifi card or by the camera kit. Also if you have a large number of images to work on it can take a long time for the images to transfer to the iPad to work on. I also found the iPad 2 very very slow using lightroom but it works fine on my iPad mini retina which I bought specifically for this task, to edit weddings and club shoots in the lounge whilst still able to partake in family life
Concert photography

Darkmunk
Posted 12/06/2014 - 14:32 Link
Ah, so Lightroom wouldn't really help me away from home then?
Does Photogene have the same limitation? It looks good from the reviews.
It would be nice to keep everything in Lightroom, but I suspected that was too good to be true
cabstar
Posted 12/06/2014 - 14:37 Link
Photogene does allow you to edit images that are actually on your IOS device. I have just posted a walkthrough here on how Photogene works. Its a really powerful tool, I use it all the time particularly on the iPhone
Concert photography

fritzthedog
Posted 12/06/2014 - 17:09 Link
Anybody know of anything similar to Photogene for android?

Yet to find anything I have been impressed with to use on the Samsung tablet

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Unlocker
Posted 12/06/2014 - 22:29 Link
There is a better / more expensive / completely off topic answer to the question!

Buy a MacBook Air

Fiona has the 11" model, 8GB, 256GB SSD and it runs Aperture, CS3 etc very well, the 13" model would be a better choice if battery life / bigger screen / SDHC reader built in are important.

So why mention this in an iPad question? Well the 11 inch is the same size as the iPad and can run all the Creative Cloud software you already have, which comes with 2 licences, so no extra software cost or new workflow to learn. As you are editing in the evening I'm guessing you have somewhere to sit so you could find you have all your editing done before you get home.

It's worth thinking about!
Posted 13/06/2014 - 02:12 Link
Works super fast on iPad 3 Retina
cabstar wrote:
Glowingblue wrote:
Quote:

The only catch is the images have to be on the computer first, you can't edit images in lightroom on the iPad that have been transferred to the iPad either through a wifi card or by the camera kit. Also if you have a large number of images to work on it can take a long time for the images to transfer to the iPad to work on. I also found the iPad 2 very very slow using lightroom but it works fine on my iPad mini retina which I bought specifically for this task, to edit weddings and club shoots in the lounge whilst still able to partake in family life

gartmore
Posted 13/06/2014 - 08:07 Link
I've just installed it, I'll let you know how I get on
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.