lens fittings - bayonet-screw fitting connection

NicholasBrown

Link Posted 18/04/2003 - 18:14
hello all,
anybody know if there are adapters to put a bayonet lens on a screw mount body? If so, which bayonet lens range could I use for my Spotmatic SP (in particular, for 28mm) ? ???

Nick

johnriley

Link Posted 18/04/2003 - 18:48
One of the advantages to going bayonet was an increase in the throat size from 42mm to, I think, 45mm. This enabled wider aperture lenses to be designed, such as the 50mm f1.2.

There isn't a ready made adapter to use bayonet lenses on your Spotmatic, but you can use your Spotmatic lenses on any of the K mount cameras using the Mount Adapter K. If you want bodies that are as close as possible to the SP, then look at the KM, KX and MX in particular.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum, it could be conceivable that SRB could make the adapter you are seeking, but I imagine the cost could be quite high - the bayonet bodies are not too expensive to buy!

Alternatively, the SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5 screw mount lens is an excellent lens...
Best regards, John

NicholasBrown

Link Posted 18/04/2003 - 19:27
Quote:
One of the advantages to going bayonet was an increase in the throat size from 42mm to, I think, 45mm. This enabled wider aperture lenses to be designed, such as the 50mm f1.2.

There isn't a ready made adapter to use bayonet lenses on your Spotmatic, but you can use your Spotmatic lenses on any of the K mount cameras using the Mount Adapter K. If you want bodies that are as close as possible to the SP, then look at the KM, KX and MX in particular.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum, it could be conceivable that SRB could make the adapter you are seeking, but I imagine the cost could be quite high - the bayonet bodies are not too expensive to buy!

Alternatively, the SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5 screw mount lens is an excellent lens...

thanks- I just found out about the larger diameter after I posted my question.

I have been looking around for the 28mm SMC Takumar, and I havn't found any cheap (65,75-costly for a 30 year old lens...and I am a poor student) I guess that represents the quality! There are few other 28mm's for a lot less- Super Travenar, Optomax, Prinzflex. Any good? I understand the biggest problem in cheaper would be lens flare and barreling (and contast...and sharpness........) of which SMC Takumar has none. Does anybody know any of the cheaper alternatives which produce a reasonable quality?

cheers

johnriley

Link Posted 19/04/2003 - 01:12
Nicholas,

Over the years I have bought so many photographic items where it seemed a good idea to save money, and usually it wasn't! If only I'd bought only Pentax lenses from the start I would have saved a fortune in the long run...

However, I understand that cash for students can be tight and having a 28mm lens of some type will be better than none at all.

Wide angles can be pretty poor, especially in edge definition, but there are some good ones that might be very inexpensive. In screw thread, I can vouch for the Lydith 30mm (almost a 28mm!) and I understand the Kiron 28mm f2 is a fine wide aperture lens. I also once had a Vivitar 28mm f2.5 with a huge front element, and it was a good lens.

Hope this helps, and maybe others can come up with some other suggested lenses.

Good luck!
Best regards, John

grahamwalton

Link Posted 20/04/2003 - 21:54
Nicholas

In the past I have had good results from the following 28mm wide angle lenses with M42 screw mounts:-

Pentacon ( Practica )

Sigma

Tamron Adaptall with Adaptall M42 mount

The Tamron is a good choice as there are plenty around, but you may have to shop around for the Adaptall M42 mount (often sold separately). The advantage of the Tamron is that if you upgrade to a K mount body, all you have to do is buy an Adaptall PK or PKA mount.

Regards
grahamwalton
Friendly Regards
Graham
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.