LBA confessions
Posted 27/05/2010 - 07:12
Link
flossie wrote:
Oh!........erm, I only list what I currently use, I have quite a few original K series primes starting at 18mm through to 300mm, some M & A zooms & primes and a couple of Sigmas 16mm & 24mm. I'm an old devil, started in '79
johnwhit wrote:
Not bought anything in ages, I'm a bloody disgrace to you all, but I'm getting withdrawal symptoms
you don't look a disgrace judging by the list in your .sig! Well, apart from the worrying lack of MF Primes...Not bought anything in ages, I'm a bloody disgrace to you all, but I'm getting withdrawal symptoms
Posted 27/05/2010 - 08:35
Link
mph555l wrote:
I can actually hear Mannesty's 500mm lens in the Classified section softly calling to me....
LBA is a cruel and wicked mistress. Can't someone please buy it soon and put me out of my misery !!
/Ian
"When I'm calling yooooo-ooo-ooo-ooooo-ooo-ooo-ooooooou"
I can actually hear Mannesty's 500mm lens in the Classified section softly calling to me....
LBA is a cruel and wicked mistress. Can't someone please buy it soon and put me out of my misery !!
/Ian
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 27/05/2010 - 12:28
Link
Any body feeling so overburdened by LBA could lighten the load by giving to Technoblurbs home for bewildered photographers, especially if your LBA is biased towards lenses with the little insignificant '*' on them
Posted 27/05/2010 - 13:54
Link
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Some folk are very very optimistic
Some folk are very very optimistic
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 27/05/2010 - 14:28
Link
Maybe we should have a short list of things that even the worst LBA sufferer shouldn't buy? I'll start:
Any non-SMC Pentax lens (other than pre-SMC Takumars - generally if they left the SMC off on a K mount lens then it's a cheap and rather nasty piece of glassware)
Pentax-F 35-80mm (It has SMC. It lacks much of anything else IMO!)
Any non-SMC Pentax lens (other than pre-SMC Takumars - generally if they left the SMC off on a K mount lens then it's a cheap and rather nasty piece of glassware)
Pentax-F 35-80mm (It has SMC. It lacks much of anything else IMO!)
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 27/05/2010 - 14:31
Link
Quote:
generally if they left the SMC off on a K mount lens then it's a cheap and rather nasty piece of glassware
Very far from the truth IMHO. There are some very good Pentax lenses with conventional coatings, I was pleasantly surprised, and they only really fall down on the issue of flare against the light.
generally if they left the SMC off on a K mount lens then it's a cheap and rather nasty piece of glassware
Best regards, John
Posted 27/05/2010 - 14:37
Link
I'll second that, I once bought a non-SMC Pentax-A 70-200mm f4 in a job lot, constant f4 which was promising. It got decent reviews on the other forum's database, low 7s I believe, but it turned out to be one of the worst lenses I've ever used. Very low contrast, rather soft, purple fringing, terrible zoom creep, and all a bit wobbly and poorly built. Plus it was enormous, and weighed a ton.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 27/05/2010 - 14:50
Link
As Mannesty's and thoughton's lenses are in fact the same, as we can see it depends on the sample we get and how much it's been abused by previous owners.
Best regards, John
Posted 27/05/2010 - 14:55
Link
I'm not sure if it is the same actually, there is also a Takumar-A 70-200 f4 macro in that database.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 27/05/2010 - 15:11
Link
It's not a macro lens. The two lenses have identical specifications and AFAIK the Pentax named one is just a later renaming.
Best regards, John
Posted 27/05/2010 - 15:20
Link
I think it must come down to the individual lens then. I have the Takumar Bayonet 28mm f2.8 (mechanically and optically identical to the later M 28mm f2.8 but minus SMC) which isn't too bad but just can't match the contrast and colour rendition of SMC lenses, same goes for the non-SMC Pentax-F 28-80mm. I might have been hasty calling them nasty, but you can do far better for the same money if you keep your eyes open.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 27/05/2010 - 15:31
Link
aliengrove wrote:
But I should be going to Hong Kong and Singapore soon.....soon.....
Singapore's an obvious outlet for my LBA too - though from online research Pentax doesn't seem to be that easy to get there, and the prices are comparable to the US (which, with the strengthening dollar, ain't so cheap any more). Judging by ebay prices, HK may be more promising. Maybe Tim (Thoughton) has some insider knowledge here?But I should be going to Hong Kong and Singapore soon.....soon.....
If you do get to Singapore let us know how you get on.
Posted 27/05/2010 - 15:57
Link
Quote:
I have the Takumar Bayonet 28mm f2.8 (mechanically and optically identical to the later M 28mm f2.8 but minus SMC)
Sorry to keep disagreeing, but the two lenses are not the same, nor is the the SMC-M lens later!I have the Takumar Bayonet 28mm f2.8 (mechanically and optically identical to the later M 28mm f2.8 but minus SMC)
The SMC-P M lens is a 7 element design for the ME and MX type cameras, the Takumar-A lens is a more plastic design from the A series era, with 5 elements, a budget lens that is nonetheless not at all bad.
Best regards, John
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


271 posts
20 years
Stockholm
LBA is a cruel and wicked mistress. Can't someone please buy it soon and put me out of my misery !!
/Ian