Lava Caves

Pentaxophile
Posted 31/03/2010 - 23:27 Link
All the talk of taking cameras down mines etc reminded me of this great trip I went on in 2007... me and an American buddy explored some lava tubes at Lava Beds National Monument near Tulelake in Northern California.

We spent about 5 hours underground, and there were some worrying moments as very narrow sections of cave (with sharp spiky walls) needed to be negotiated, and towards the end, doubts began to creep in regarding whether we were headed back to the cave entrance, or deeper into the subterranean labyrinth! It was refreshing to be allowed to explore on your own, rather than with a guide. The helmet I'm wearing in my profile picture was bought from the visitor centre for the expedition.

Very foolhardy, but lots of fun.

Note the cinder cone in the landscape photo from near the cave mouth, and the Native American petraglyphs.

A truly fascinating place, and very few visitors. Pictures are taken with my old DL2 and kit lens - rather crudely processed for this post I'm afraid!

Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image
Gwyn
Posted 01/04/2010 - 10:16 Link
I'm getting claustrophobia just looking at these photos!

It is a place my husband wanted to visit, but he knew he'd never get me into a lava tube. Even for a photo op.

I like the petroglyphs - you have caught them very well.
techno-terminator
Posted 01/04/2010 - 10:49 Link
AAAAAAAAAH runs away fast - I'm claustrophobic too .

Lovely pictures though, but you'll never get me there
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
TOZZA27
Posted 01/04/2010 - 13:35 Link
Brilliant photos - shame the graffiti artists had already been there ( second shot ) lol - even a crude prehistoric tripod and a depiction of Gareth`s lamp stand - tee hee.
Was the little fella on his back lunch ??

I`m still iffy about going down the Mersey Tunnel !!

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
thoughton
Posted 01/04/2010 - 19:49 Link
A great set, although I'm with the others in saying I'm not sure I'd like it down there!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
i-Berg
Posted 02/04/2010 - 03:01 Link
Thanks for taking your camera to a place where the rest of us have not been, and likely would not go! Fascinating images.
Pentaxophile
Posted 04/04/2010 - 00:51 Link
Thanks for the comments. It was a fun trip - and the cave exploration was a lot less scary than being woken up by some sort of animal snuffling about outside our tent (pitched in the wilderness) and wondering whether it was a bear, wolf or mountain lion. Some general shots of the landscape:

Sagebrush as far as the eye can see.

Comment Image


The only road through the reserve.

Comment Image
Edited by Pentaxophile: 04/04/2010 - 00:51
Gwyn
Posted 04/04/2010 - 09:49 Link
It sounds daft I know, especially to Americans, but sagebrush is one of my favourite landscapes. Just those miles and miles of brush and heat with mountains looming on the horizon.
Makes me want to head back to the US. At least it might be a bit warmer there .

So what was it snuffling at your tent or didn't you dare take a peek?

We had a male lion wander around outside our tent in Tanzania. That was pretty nerve racking! The Maasai chased the lion off, and told us the next morning that the cook had been attacked by the same lion a week earlier .
Funnily enough the other guests at the camp moved into a lodge in the morning .
Pentaxophile
Posted 04/04/2010 - 11:04 Link
Agree about the sagebrush. The air had a very spicy scent as most of the vegetation is aromatic.

No idea what the marauding beastie in the night was!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo