More Birds

matwhittington
Posted 02/04/2010 - 16:08 Link
Hello all. I've been processing some more of yesterday's pics, and here are some of the bird shots I got... Hope you like them. If you don't like birds (esp. ducks), look away now... All taken with the Sigma 70-300 on my K-7... mostly just portraits... the birds were not up to too much excitement yesterday morning (well not when I was there anyway)

First up, a Jackdaw looking (I think) for twigs for a nest :. Certainly I saw plenty flying around with mouthful of sticks...
Comment Image


A very inquisitive (and friendly) Canada Goose:
Comment Image


A narcissistic Mandarin (is that me...?):
Comment Image


...and another in a bit of a flap (I had to clone quite a few other bits of ducks out of this shot and may need a little more work(?)):
Comment Image


For anyone wondering what a lady Mandarin duck looks like, here's one (I think) - not quite so colourful as the male but very nice nonetheless:
Comment Image


Finally, I was hoping someone here might help me out with the identity of this duck - I think it's a red breasted Pochard but if anyone knows, grateful for any info
Comment Image


As ever, C&C welcome.

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

My Flickr: link
TOZZA27
Posted 02/04/2010 - 16:34 Link
Mat................they are beautiful

Well done.

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
fatspider
Posted 02/04/2010 - 17:16 Link
Well it looks like a Jackdaw to me, and the last does look like a female Red Crested (I'll correct the typo for you) Pochard.

I love shots of ducks with the ripply water thing, almost as interesting as the duck so the Mandarin and the Pochard get my vote.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Cliff-P
Posted 02/04/2010 - 17:35 Link
Great shots Mat especially the last one, and I`ll go with Red Crested Pochard as well.
Cliff.




My Flickr link
Nikon D750, D7000 , Nikkor 80-400, 70-300 and 18-200 lenses
matwhittington
Posted 02/04/2010 - 18:45 Link
Many thanks folks! (and thanks for correcting the typo). Red Crested Pochard it is!

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Mandarin ducks. They're so photogenic!

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

My Flickr: link
thoughton
Posted 02/04/2010 - 19:02 Link
Lovely ducks! The flapping mandarin for me, it's a great shot. And it looks like it's just let rip
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 02/04/2010 - 19:03
matwhittington
Posted 02/04/2010 - 20:09 Link
Thanks Tim - that's exactly what I thought too Don't see that every day

Mat
Mat W

My Flickr: link
fatspider
Posted 02/04/2010 - 22:45 Link
Well I'm going to shamelessly Hi-Jack your topic Mat and add this image of mine, yes I know the tail feathers are burned out and I know the head isnt quite as sharp as it should be, but just look at that gorgeous water (the green is the reflection of trees)

This was snapped at a local bird garden, so its some exotic species in captivity, anyone any ideas what it is?

EDIT;
Err, sorry, adding the image would help

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/impotentspider/IMGP0354.jpg[/IMG]
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Edited by fatspider: 02/04/2010 - 22:45
matwhittington
Posted 03/04/2010 - 07:43 Link
No idea what kind of duck that is..., but it's a nice looking bird! You're right about the green tree reflection as well. I hope to get some of that at the pond in Richmond, but the trees have been pruned and not grown back yet...

Mat
Mat W

My Flickr: link
i-Berg
Posted 03/04/2010 - 08:05 Link
It's a colourful, sharp series Mat, and Alan the water in your shot is gorgeous as you say.
royd63uk
Posted 03/04/2010 - 09:49 Link
Great shots love the flapping Mandarin

Roy
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
matwhittington
Posted 03/04/2010 - 16:21 Link
Thanks again all. I have been back today with the DA* 300... the weather has not been quite as nice but some of the results look pretty good... I'll process a couple and put them into the forum (with apologies for flooding the place with ducks...:shock

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

My Flickr: link
royd63uk
Posted 03/04/2010 - 16:30 Link
Flood...Ducks......
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
Tobio
Posted 03/04/2010 - 20:40 Link
Some great photos here
Best regards,
Tobio

K20d with Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro , smc da 18-55 mm, smc da 50-200 mm and smc da 55-300 mm + Metz 58 af-1. Editing with Pentax Photolab, Gimp and Paint.net.
matwhittington
Posted 04/04/2010 - 07:49 Link
Thanks Tobio

Mat
Mat W

My Flickr: link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo