Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lake District - A More Traditional Set

davidstorm
Posted 30/01/2017 - 22:46 Link
Here's my second set from the Lakes last week, these are more your traditional landscapes, a genre where I'm probably most comfortable and in my element so to speak.

The first few are alternative views of the same scene, at different times in the morning, with different camera/lens combinations and different processing. This particular scene is often photographed, being as it is at the Northern end of Ullswater and very accessible, although on the day I was there I was a bit restricted in the angles I could find as there were other photographers already set up with their tripods.

The images are mix of K-5iis and K-3, with a variety of lenses including Pentax-M 28mm F3.5, Pentax DA L 55-300, Samsung 12-24 and Sigma 17-70.

I hope you enjoy viewing these, I certainly enjoyed taking them.

Tranquility - K-5iis & M28mm F3.5
Comment Image

Wider - K-3 & Samsung 12-24
Comment Image

House On The Shore - K-3 & Sigma 17-70
Comment Image

Ullswater Sunrise - K-5iis & Samsung 12-24
Comment Image

Flexing The Wings - K-5iis & M28mm F3.5
Comment Image

Break Over Ambleside - K-3 & DA L 55-300
Comment Image

Sun Coming Up - K-5iis & Samsung 12-24
Comment Image

Steamer - K-3 & Sigma 17-70
Comment Image

Steamer Again - K-3 & Sigma 17-70
Comment Image

A Simple View - K-5iis & Samsung 12-24
Comment Image

Rocky Foreground - K-5iis & Samsung 12-24
Comment Image

Looking Out On The World - K-5iis & M28mm F3.5
Comment Image

Fallen Tree - K-5iis & Samsung 12-24
Comment Image

Lit From The Side - K-3 & Sigma 17-70
Comment Image

And just for good measure, here's one that is a little bit abstract, not much, just a little!

Smoking Water - K-3 & DA L 55-300
Comment Image

Thanks as always, all comments welcome, good, bad or indifferent.

Cheers, David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
paulcliff
Posted 31/01/2017 - 08:48 Link
Beautiful set, what an amazing part of the world that is.

'Tranquility' & 'Break Over Ambleside' are my favourites.
LennyBloke
Posted 31/01/2017 - 09:10 Link
"Fallen Tree" really stands out for me - it's one of those photos that makes you look around the whole image - not allowing you to settle in one place. You've captured motion and texture in an excellent composition and with natures colours, coupled with a good choice of focal length (I'm guessing it's at 12mm?) - Would love to see this at a larger size
LennyBloke
Dorset_Mike
Posted 31/01/2017 - 10:42 Link
A beautiful set. It's hard to pick favourites from such a stellar selection.
Regards,
Mike
Regards,
Mike

Every day's a holiday!
AndrewA
Posted 31/01/2017 - 17:57 Link
A beautiful set here David, you should be very proud of them!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Mag07
Posted 31/01/2017 - 18:03 Link
Dorset_Mike wrote:
A beautiful set. It's hard to pick favourites from such a stellar selection.
Regards,
Mike

Could not agree more.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Posted 31/01/2017 - 20:41 Link
Super stuff David... the Steamer and the Fallen Tree are my own particular favourites, but there's so much here to celebrate...

Best
cardiffgareth
Posted 31/01/2017 - 21:40 Link
The opening image is just beautiful, so tranquil. I also like the 2 steamer images but the set as a whole is very high quality
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
redbusa99
Posted 01/02/2017 - 00:30 Link
excellent set, if i had to pick one it is "Simple View" or maybe "Looking Out on the World". see, can't do it they are all so good
odd lens or 2

Flickr
pschlute
Posted 01/02/2017 - 05:32 Link
The first picture "Tranquillity" is stunning. Interesting it demonstrates to me at least how even a small change in composition can change a picture totally. The other pictures of the same boathouse do not convey the same feelings, except perhaps the fourth one too.

The symmetry of the first picture and the placement of the jetty dead centre lead the eye to it and then beyond, and the soft light and still water complete the calming view. Good job those pesky ducks stayed out of the frame for this one!
davidtrout
Posted 01/02/2017 - 09:55 Link
They are all good, and I particularly like the final picture Smoking Water. The famous boathouse on Ullswater has often been photographed y many leading photographers but rarely as well as this and even more rarely better.
David
cardiffgareth
Posted 01/02/2017 - 19:08 Link
Incidentally, a few of these images have that K10d ISO 100 glossy look to them
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
McBrian
Posted 01/02/2017 - 21:07 Link
Another great set, Ullswater Sunrise is my pick of the bunch.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
autumnlight
Posted 02/02/2017 - 00:08 Link
Loving all these Lakes pictures superb set, light, tones and compositions all a joy to view.
jvs
Posted 02/02/2017 - 12:48 Link
All lovely, David - the opportunity (and photographic technique, of course!) to convey the quality of the light in the Lake District is a dream situation and you never disappoint when you post photos like these. Much more to my taste, I must admit, than the more "abstract" approach, interesting though it is.
John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.