Kit lens not up to much
Posted 04/05/2013 - 21:26
Link
dougf8 wrote:
I thought the kit lens was fine and perfectly acceptable. I've had two versions of the 16-45mm and they were not significantly better then the kit. My technique may be suspect.
The 16-45 image you have posted is sharper than the 18-55 one (marginally), but is not as sharp as I would expect. I recently sold my 16-45 when I bought a DA17-70 and my copy was definitely a lot sharper than my 18-55, particularly at the edges of the frame. My 18-55 didn't really get a look in once I had a 16-45, although I still have a good opinion of the 18-55, considering its 'only' a kit lens.I thought the kit lens was fine and perfectly acceptable. I've had two versions of the 16-45mm and they were not significantly better then the kit. My technique may be suspect.
Regards
David
Posted 04/05/2013 - 21:59
Link
japers45 wrote:
For me (and this is not aimed at anyone) the number of photographers that have more ability than their gear can deliver is so small as to be insignificant.
I know the gear I have has plenty of head room for me- I shall try and improve technique and processing to get a better results.
Give the kit lens to a great tog and they will get stunning results IMHO.
I'm not really sure of the point of the above as equally a great photographer will get stunning results on a mobile phone cam. For me (and this is not aimed at anyone) the number of photographers that have more ability than their gear can deliver is so small as to be insignificant.
I know the gear I have has plenty of head room for me- I shall try and improve technique and processing to get a better results.
Give the kit lens to a great tog and they will get stunning results IMHO.
Should we avoid criticising all equipment on the basis that 'it always exceeds our abilities'? Should we stick to owning the cheapest and basic of equipment under the same basis?
cbrog wrote:
I still maintain that those of you who have such a low opinion of the 18-55 lens have been unlucky and that if your copy is that bad, you should seek a replacement.
Well as said, I just thought it was boring.
I still maintain that those of you who have such a low opinion of the 18-55 lens have been unlucky and that if your copy is that bad, you should seek a replacement.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 04/05/2013 - 22:21
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
I sold my kit lenses. Not becuase they were terrible or soft, but becuase the output was just boring.
Why was the output boring?
I sold my kit lenses. Not becuase they were terrible or soft, but becuase the output was just boring.
Regards,
Michael
Michael
Posted 04/05/2013 - 22:52
Link
michaelblue wrote:
It lacked any excitement for me.
Smeggypants wrote:
I sold my kit lenses. Not becuase they were terrible or soft, but becuase the output was just boring.
Why was the output boring?I sold my kit lenses. Not becuase they were terrible or soft, but becuase the output was just boring.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 05/05/2013 - 00:19
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Excitement can be very subjective.michaelblue wrote:
It lacked any excitement for me.Smeggypants wrote:
I sold my kit lenses. Not becuase they were terrible or soft, but becuase the output was just boring.
Why was the output boring?I sold my kit lenses. Not becuase they were terrible or soft, but becuase the output was just boring.
For example, Flickr reckons that this is my least interesting image taken with the 18-55 WR (it won't be in a minute, after you lot have pixel-peeped it). From what I remember, the scene was quite exciting, just that I probably had the wrong lens on at the time

Water by kh1234567890, on Flickr
Posted 05/05/2013 - 05:56
Link
kh1234567890 wrote:
Excitement can be very subjective. [/quote]It's totally subjective. Smeggypants wrote:
It lacked any excitement for me.michaelblue wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Smeggypants"]
I sold my kit lenses. Not becuase they were terrible or soft, but becuase the output was just boring.
Why was the output boring?[quote:3496ace15f="Smeggypants"]
I sold my kit lenses. Not becuase they were terrible or soft, but becuase the output was just boring.
Quote:
For example, Flickr reckons that this is my least interesting image taken with the 18-55 WR (it won't be in a minute, after you lot have pixel-peeped it).
How can Flickr determine how interesting something is? It's just a website.For example, Flickr reckons that this is my least interesting image taken with the 18-55 WR (it won't be in a minute, after you lot have pixel-peeped it).
Quote:
From what I remember, the scene was quite exciting, just that I probably had the wrong lens on at the time
Did you?From what I remember, the scene was quite exciting, just that I probably had the wrong lens on at the time
.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 05/05/2013 - 09:52
Link
My copy of the MkII is very good and the Mk 1 I had gave
exactly the same performance. The colour is also excellent.
exactly the same performance. The colour is also excellent.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 05/05/2013 - 11:26
Link
Like all kit lenses, it's neither terribly wide, terribly long nor terribly fast. It's worth having in the bag though as a reasonably well-made and weather resistant lens for those occasions when you don't need specialist capabilities. The only kit lens I've used which is significantly better in both build and image quality is the original Panasonic 14-45.
That said, I prefer to use faster lenses where possible. The viewfinder is brighter, the compromises in lower light or with moving subjects are less, and you have more options to play with selective focus. I guess the last two of those can both impact on the look of the final image, but I think the actual image quality from the DA18-55's I've used (still have a copy of the mark ii) is pretty decent for what it is, and at anything like a normal viewing size and distance.
That said, I prefer to use faster lenses where possible. The viewfinder is brighter, the compromises in lower light or with moving subjects are less, and you have more options to play with selective focus. I guess the last two of those can both impact on the look of the final image, but I think the actual image quality from the DA18-55's I've used (still have a copy of the mark ii) is pretty decent for what it is, and at anything like a normal viewing size and distance.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


803 posts
15 years
Worcestershire
I know the gear I have has plenty of head room for me- I shall try and improve technique and processing to get a better results.
Give the kit lens to a great tog and they will get stunning results IMHO.