Kamera Quandaries

duncanM

Link Posted 21/03/2014 - 20:50
I am looking forward to getting up to town and handling one of the new Q7s. I did in fact have one of the original Qs- it was beautifully made (magnesium alloy etc) but I parted with it after a holiday in a very sunny place mainly because I had such difficulty framing shots as there was so much reflection from the screen. The accessory viewfinder will certainly be an essential requirement for me, and I'll be checking it out closely, so it is reassuring to hear its praises being sung like this.

ISO

Link Posted 22/03/2014 - 18:05
johnriley wrote:
The SRS price looks reasonable when you see what a beautiful jewel it is. The quality of the view through it is outstanding. Crystal clear and up with the best viewfinders of this type.

Duncan just for the record the Amazon price is 179.99 SRS 199. But I guess these days one has to factor in the slave labour rates at Amz.

Helpful

duncanM

Link Posted 22/03/2014 - 18:49
Thanks ISO, but the cheapest I can see at Amazon is about 300 (for the Q7 body)- SRS is about 20 cheaper No contest really

gtis

Link Posted 22/03/2014 - 19:43
Hi Duncan
I have being thinking about getting a q7 or q10 but no shops local to me stock them
So I can have play with one
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

duncanM

Link Posted 22/03/2014 - 19:59
gtis wrote:
..no shops local to me stock them...

That's my problem too- I'd be reluctant to buy without trying them out at all However Currys is now listed as a dealer- I do have a branch of Currys not too far away, so maybe I'll try them, though more in hope than expectation.

MattMatic

Link Posted 22/03/2014 - 20:07
Quote:
The accessory viewfinder will certainly be an essential requirement for me

It's only for the 8.5mm prime on the Q
Not sure how useful it will be on the Q7 field of view?

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 22/03/2014 - 20:07

duncanM

Link Posted 22/03/2014 - 21:00
In that^ case, I must search ebay for a shading accessory based on the concept of a loupe. I am sure that I have seen devices of that sort being sold, probably on ebay. Only trouble is that you probably have to stick them on and leave them on, and they are likely to be somewhat fragile, and less than lovely

jeallen01

Link Posted 23/03/2014 - 08:47
duncanM wrote:
In that^ case, I must search ebay for a shading accessory based on the concept of a loupe. I am sure that I have seen devices of that sort being sold, probably on ebay. Only trouble is that you probably have to stick them on and leave them on, and they are likely to be somewhat fragile, and less than lovely

Delkin make those and they ARE very fragile - the sides break off easily, and then you are left with the screen protector - just like 2 of mine!

Unfortunately haven't been able to find anything better on the market today - unlike the concertina-bellows types I bought a few years ago for the GX10 & my Canon compacts. These worked treat and were very robust.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

duncanM

Link Posted 23/03/2014 - 09:16
I had a little compact, maybe 10 years ago, for which I was able to obtain a fascinating miniature sun shade device: when you pressed a button, a tiny awning swung outwards and upwards through 90, followed by 2 side sections that opened out sideways for about 90. It worked pretty well, but detracted substantially from the pocketability of the camera (and did in fact quickly succumb to the effects of being repeatedly withdrawn hastily from pockets).

Blythman

Link Posted 23/03/2014 - 09:18
Duncan, can't remember where I bought it, but I have one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newest-V5-2-8X-LCD-ViewFinder-Screen-Magnifier-Loupes-...

A metal frame sits on the back, attached by the tripod mount. Unfortunately on the Q it just slightly overlaps the buttons on the RH side.

I modified it by enlarging the hole through which the the mount bolt goes through. Just so that I could move the frame slightly to the left.

This frame can then stay on all the time if you wish, and the loupe attaches magnetically to the frame.

As well as giving a shaded, magnified view, it also aids stability with longer lenses and the K to Q adaptor. Being against your eye is much more stable than holding an LCD at arms length
Alan

PPG
Flickr

duncanM

Link Posted 23/03/2014 - 09:24
Thanks for that, Alan- looks a cunning little device (as Blackadder might put it) Again, though, pocketability will be somewhat adversely affected
Last Edited by duncanM on 23/03/2014 - 09:26

ISO

Link Posted 23/03/2014 - 17:35
duncanM wrote:
Thanks ISO, but the cheapest I can see at Amazon is about 300 (for the Q7 body)- SRS is about 20 cheaper No contest really

Duncan, actually I was talking about the viewfinder. Somewhere earlier in this Thread I did raise the question of other makes of viewfinder that might be cheaper (or secondhand)that would do the trick. Don't forget they all fit on the flash hotshoe which is a standard size. Duncan though thought the Pentax one was the best.

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 23/03/2014 - 17:43
There are second hand viewfinders that would do. A Voigtlander one from the 1950s/60s would be excellent. Some others are just cheap and nasty.
Best regards, John

Helpful

ISO

Link Posted 23/03/2014 - 17:49
Thanks John - but where would one find one of those

johnriley

Link Posted 23/03/2014 - 18:01
I sold several last year on eBay. So keep an eye out there, but also camera fairs. Prices could be as little as 5 because of relatively little demand.
Best regards, John

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.