K7 K5 Gross Over Exposure Problem

normington4

Link Posted 02/03/2011 - 17:06
I am new to the forum, and since 1981 have used an ME Super, SFX, Z1, istDS, K7 and now K5.

My K5 gave a significant number of gross over exposures over 903 shots on a holiday with continuous sun. Pentax Technical had no explanation on being sent examples, so the camera was rejected as "not of merchantable quality".

My wife then persuaded me to buy a K5 before the VAT went up, and the 20th shot of one of the blizzards gave a complete white out. When I realised what had happenedan, an identical shot several seconds later, was OK. Pentax Technical have seen these 2 shots, and again say they do not know what has happened.

I can not believe that I can be only person to have been so unlucky to have had the only camera of both the K7 then the K5 production lines to have had this fault !!!!

Is there anyone else out there who has had this fault ? - Billy

johnriley

Link Posted 02/03/2011 - 17:16
If you'd be kind enought to post the two shots, along with the EXIF data, then we might be able to suggest some possibilities.

The most common reason is that the exposure compensation is left in or nudged to an inappropriate setting. It could also be related to how camera meter in unusual circummstances - usually a problem if spot metering is selected and not fully understood.
Best regards, John

Smeggypants

Link Posted 02/03/2011 - 17:28
normington4 wrote:
I am new to the forum, and since 1981 have used an ME Super, SFX, Z1, istDS, K7 and now K5.

My K5 gave a significant number of gross over exposures over 903 shots on a holiday with continuous sun. Pentax Technical had no explanation on being sent examples, so the camera was rejected as "not of merchantable quality".

My wife then persuaded me to buy a K5 before the VAT went up, and the 20th shot of one of the blizzards gave a complete white out. When I realised what had happenedan, an identical shot several seconds later, was OK. Pentax Technical have seen these 2 shots, and again say they do not know what has happened.

I can not believe that I can be only person to have been so unlucky to have had the only camera of both the K7 then the K5 production lines to have had this fault !!!!

Is there anyone else out there who has had this fault ? - Billy

Yes I have. Only occasionally though. I've taken 13000 pics with my K-5 so far. It's probably happened about 5 times. It certainly wasn't user error as repeat shot with identical settings exposed fine.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Last Edited by Smeggypants on 02/03/2011 - 17:31

normington4

Link Posted 02/03/2011 - 18:16
Attn : John Riley Sorry I am new to this so could you please tell me how to "post 2 shot" I assume the EXIF data will be covered if if paste copies from the originals into where-ever, as I did with the Email to Pentax Holland.

My shots were NOT spot focus but multi point. Also they were taken with ASA priority whilst I was learning about the camera.

Hans Ibbers said - "I studied the pictures you sent us, and the complete white picture puzzles me : the aperture is 3.5, the other one is 8.0, but the rest of the values the same: this should give a picture that is somewhat over exposed, but in this case is a complete white picture. This is is absolutely not a know issue with the K5. If this would occur more often I can only advise you to have the camers exchanged, since then something is wrong, but I cant explain what went wron here"

Interesting to see the new comment, but the K7 which I sent back had somthing like 5% white outs, and some were of unrepeatable subjects. Billy

johnriley

Link Posted 02/03/2011 - 18:32
The easiest way for you is to upload a couple of shots to the gallery. Resize them to no more than 1500 pixels wide on the longest side and they should upload quickly.

Make sure you use Save As to save your reduced size file and the EXIF data should be intact.
Best regards, John

DrOrloff

Link Posted 02/03/2011 - 23:38
Yes it happened to me with both K5's, original and replacement. With the first camera it happened once and in a tricky lighting situation, underneath a very dark pier with a very bright background. With the replacement it has happened three times I think and always in bright sunlight but nothing unusual about the scene - just regular landscapes with blue skies. Each time it overexposed massively on matrix metering, by a good five or six stops at least. Definitely not user error as I checked the settings afterwards. I turned the camera off and on and it was fine. I haven't kept the photos - as long as it remains a very sporadic occurrence then it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It seems many consumer electronic items have the odd small glitch. Plus there is a two year guarantee so if it ever becomes a problem then I'm covered.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

Smeggypants

Link Posted 03/03/2011 - 00:43
Yup sounds like a bug in the software that only manifests itself in certain conditions. I can understand how it got through the beta test phase.

I cannot understand how the low light FF fault got through the beta phase though.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

fatspider

Link Posted 03/03/2011 - 08:29
Quote:
I can not believe that I can be only person to have been so unlucky to have had the only camera of both the K7 then the K5 production lines to have had this fault

Maybe your the type of person that should be buying more lottery tickets because those are quite rare odds, was the K7 just as bad?

99.9% of cameras will get the exposure wrong at some time or other but not to the degree that yours has, perhaps it has something to do with Sv mode as not many people use it so the problems would not be widely reported.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

normington4

Link Posted 03/03/2011 - 10:17
attn John Riley - Just put onto gallery the defective photo
title - attn John Riley
description - K7 overexposed shot
category - landscape/travel
search tag - landscape, defective

the system told me I must wait till tomorrow to post another shot - please let me know if you want me to post tomorrow the shot taken 5 to 10 seconds later, after I had seen that this shot was a white out. Billy

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2011 - 10:29
Yes please, let's see the correctly exposed version. As things stand, 1/8s, f3.5 and ISO560 would imply quite dark conditions.

My first thought is improper connection between lens and body, causing the lens to operate at maximum aperture. This would be possibly cured by cleaning lens and body electronic contacts (wipe with dry microfibre cloth) and making sure the lens was seated securely and firmly clicked into place.

However, let's wait for picture 2 and see where it takes us.
Best regards, John

normington4

Link Posted 03/03/2011 - 10:40
Now that I have got the defective item onto the gallery, let me add a few more relevant points. I have a son, who has had a K7 since soon after they came out, and has never had a the same type of defective shot as I have experienced, hence there are some cameras without this defect.

As I showed in my introductory remarks on my first posting yesterday, I have had a succession of Pentax cameras since 1981, hence I have built up quite a bit of equipment!!!, which I dont YET want to throw out of the pram in a fit of pique. Basically the K5 is a superb camera - but with a hidden spasmodic glitch.

More people on this forum are coming forward advising of a similar problem, one of whom has had the problem on 2 off K5s. Hence there is a problem, but apparently not on every camera, and from what Pentax Technical said, the exposure readings did not match the white out, so some other factor is involved.

As I stand, on my K5 I have only had this one and only incident, and am now in limbo waiting for the second incident, and possibly exchange in line with Pentax Holland's Email.

I await John Riley's comments with interest.

normington4

Link Posted 03/03/2011 - 11:05
Dear John - Yes it was dark, there was a blizzard.

As regards your comments on cleanliness, this was the 20th shot taken with the new camera and a new lens.

As regards my ensuring I got a click when mounting the lens, I have been using the Pentax mount since 1981, and I would think it almost impossible to get ANY results without properly mounting the lens.

I find it offensive that you, a Pentax employee, should be trying to throw the blame on me, when others are experiencing the same problem - Billy

Blythman

Link Posted 03/03/2011 - 11:12
Billy, this is a community, of which you have been a member for well over 2 years, and contributed nothing that I can see. Stop slinging mud and making accusations about which you obviously know nothing.

Despite you contributing zilch in your time, people are trying to help you
Alan

PPG
Flickr

George Lazarette

Link Posted 03/03/2011 - 11:14
Offensive?

You jest, surely.

JR is most certainly not a Pentax employee. He moderates this forum as a labour of love. Often he has to deal with nitwits, but takes it all in his stride.

Now run along. You're much too sensitive to be on the internet.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Mannesty

Link Posted 03/03/2011 - 11:28
normington4 wrote:
I find it offensive that you, a Pentax employee, should be trying to throw the blame on me, when others are experiencing the same problem - Billy

John is not employed by Pentax, neither is this a Pentax sponsored forum. John is a forum moderator, here to keep order, and has been using the Pentax K mount for much longer than you have it seems.

If you maintain this attitude towards knowledgeable people who are trying to help you, that help will rapidly diminish.

That said, I'll try to help you. Just be respectful in your answer please.

Can you say whether or not the images that you have found to be over exposed on two bodies, were taken with the same lens? If they were, I'd start to suspect the lens, not the camera. As John points out, it may well be a lens to body electrical continuity issue. Take his advice and clean the contacts. If that doesn't remedy the situation, closely inspect the contacts on the lens for any physical damage, however minute.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.