K5IIS V CANON 6D

MattMatic

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 09:37
Quote:
The main issue I have when snapping the kids running around

They don't stay moving for long... give them a few more years and they'll be more static in front of TV/Computer/iPad/iPod/iPhone/Tablet etc

Taking good images of lively kids is more down to technique than kit
(I have four - growing up too fast)
...be patient... and wait for the moment rather than hammering through shots.

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 26/06/2013 - 09:38

giofi

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 09:51
MattMatic wrote:
They don't stay moving for long... give them a few more years and they'll be more static in front of TV/Computer/iPad/iPod/iPhone/Tablet etc Matt

sounds familiar!

MattMatic wrote:
Taking good images of lively kids is more down to technique than kit
(I have four - growing up too fast)
...be patient... and wait for the moment rather than hammering through shots.Matt

You are right of course, but if you do not have the technical skills, then kit matters a lot IMO.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 09:56
People somehow managed with manual focus, manual wind-on SLRs.... I agree, it's patience and the ability to capture the moment rather than snapping every possible scenario with the latest kit. One beautiful shot to keep forever rather than a gazillion so-so ones!

If you do not have the technical skills, learn them, before upgrading to the latest kit.

I have a K10D
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

johnriley

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 09:57
Quote:
You are right of course, but if you do not have the technical skills, then kit matters a lot IMO

Kit never mattered. If you don't have the technical skills, then practice, practice, practice. One day the technical skills will be there.
Best regards, John

martoto

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 22:02
Well well well. I see my thoughts bring some discussion here. That's a good thing

Kit matters. Applying one and the same skill to different quality level of kit often will bring different results. In some cases, if kit is not capable enough, opportunity might be even missed nevertheless of the photographer's expertise. As an extreme example think for pinhole film camera compared to Canon 1D/Nikon D4 in capturing fast motor sport event.

A lot of practicing is a good advice indeed. However I don't have that much time. Remember, photography is just a hobby to me. And also before I pick up enough skills, my son will grow up and a lot of moments would be irreparably lost.

I am still waiting the new toy, so cannot comment whether it will help my pathetic skills to produce better results or not. However I remember the difference which brought K-5 compared to my old k-m two years ago. So I know exactly what I am buying and I have my expectations. Will share my experience here as soon as I get the 6D in my hands.

There were several comments on the cost of Canon 6D. I would say the following: I am looking on this not just as a body but complete system. I have narrowed my choice of glass to: wide angle zoom, fixed FF equivalent of 50mm and telephoto zoom. With the current prices:

Canon 6D ~ 2,650*
Pentax K-5 IIs ~ 2,500 (I've mentioned how expensive Pentax made its quality glass very recently, didn't they?)

So this do not need comment I think. Everyone can make his conclusions. But please do not try to insult me saying I am spending too much money as an amateur. A lot of fellow forum members here already spent same or more on Pentax system (including me). Life is too short as we know...

* Canon 6D body is grey import but from reputable store and 3 year warranty. Both Canon zooms are the high-end, weather resistant L series (17-40 & 70-200 f4 IS).Cheapest 35mm Pentax and 50mm Canon primes. Pentax prices are from SRS since usually they are competitive enough (DA 12-24 & DA* 50-135 f2.8 ) .
Last Edited by martoto on 26/06/2013 - 22:08

johnriley

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 22:11
Please be aware though that there's a Pentax-only policy at Pentax User, so experiences with a Canon camera would be off topic.

There are more general forums over at ePHOTOzine, the sister site to this one.
Best regards, John

giofi

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 22:13
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
You are right of course, but if you do not have the technical skills, then kit matters a lot IMO

Kit never mattered. If you don't have the technical skills, then practice, practice, practice. One day the technical skills will be there.

John, that is good for those who are interested in photography. There are many who are just interested in taking pictures of their family and related events, will never practice, and have enough money to buy a top range camera. IMO for these people kit does matter. A camera with extremely fast AF and good at tracking moving subjects will deliver better results with kids, that is at least what I have observed.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

johnriley

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 22:19
Giorgio, there are indeed some who buy expensive kit that really never gets used properly. That's up to them if that's what they want to do.

There's an assumption that those who join Pentax User must be interested in photography. That's what we do here.

Of course there's an argument for kit being significant, but usually in relation to something specific. For example, you can't very easily photograph a kingfisher with a box camera. But you wouldn't usually try to.

Taking pictures of the kids in a casual way is the stuff of camera phones and compact cameras usually. There are some staggeringly expensive choices if required!
Best regards, John

martoto

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 22:19
johnriley wrote:
Please be aware though that there's a Pentax-only policy at Pentax User, so experiences with a Canon camera would be off topic.

There are more general forums over at ePHOTOzine, the sister site to this one.

No problem, I was not aware the policy is that strict. Will keep quiet then. I respect the rules.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 22:22
I don't think the discussion about practising and developing your skills was aimed at you, Mart. Upgrading kit will not compensate for a lack of skill IMO, but if you are skilled, as you sound to be, you can become aware of places where your current kit - not you - is holding your photography back. That's upgrade time.

There are solid reasons to go FF which can't just be brushed away (like narrower DOF at equivalent F-stops) and will always remain a valid reason for upgrading if they are important to your photography.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

JAK

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 22:29
johnriley wrote:

Taking pictures of the kids in a casual way is the stuff of camera phones and compact cameras usually. There are some staggeringly expensive choices if required!

I always thought it was the province of Box Brownies.

John K
John K

Conqueror

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 22:53
I would of though quality glass should be the priority whatever camera one buys.

One would get the maximum from any given sensor with the best glass.

That is to say get the best glass you can afford to get the most from your sensor at any given focal length.

I think DXOMark scores will show for people who care about such things that the K-5 (any model) and the K-30 are close and often exceed a camera such as the 6D on sensor performance. Infact many would claim the K-5 models to be the best crop sensor. So at the same print size that is interesting.

To me this seems to be a justify the purchase thread - which we are all guilty of. But its on a Pentax forum. What would be expected a load of Pentax users defending the system [ of course! ]

Yes lenses prices have increased, but there is also the 2nd hand market. There are still good deals on new lenses if you look hard.

Other systems may have more lenses - In my case I don't anticipate ever owning more than about 6 though. So unless a certain lenses is really not doing it I don't see the issue here.

I also fine the K-7 AF just fine with a screw lens like the FA 35mm f2. I'm probably mad though. I do think bodies have become like computers. Some people have a 4Ghz CPU which cost them a lot, but they are just surfing the web. They also depreciate.

Stabilisation coming from the body is an important card for Pentax and Olympus systems IMO.
K-3ii
Last Edited by Conqueror on 26/06/2013 - 22:54

Smeggypants

Link Posted 27/06/2013 - 00:34
Pentaxophile wrote:
People somehow managed with manual focus, manual wind-on SLRs.... I agree, it's patience and the ability to capture the moment rather than snapping every possible scenario with the latest kit. One beautiful shot to keep forever rather than a gazillion so-so ones!

If you do not have the technical skills, learn them, before upgrading to the latest kit.

I have a K10D

Why shouldn't someone without 'technical skills buy the "Latest kit" if they have the money? Technical skills don't make someone a great photography anyway. Having a great eye does
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/06/2013 - 00:42
MattMatic wrote:
Quote:

They don't stay moving for long... give them a few more years and they'll be more static in front of TV/Computer/iPad/iPod/iPhone/Tablet etc Matt

Good point, I think I can understand what you mean .... so it may make better economic sense to buy in the ipads/tablets/x-box's etc straight away, rather than upgrade to a very expensive other camera system.

So we bring this gadget-using stage forward, stop them running around now - keep them sitting glued to the devices - then I can keep the K7, shoot at low ISOs, and finally be able to freeze all the action in a wide range of lighting conditions !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Smeggypants

Link Posted 27/06/2013 - 01:03
McGregNi wrote:
MattMatic wrote:
Quote:

Good point, I think I can understand what you mean .... so it may make better economic sense to buy in the ipads/tablets/x-box's etc straight away, rather than upgrade to a very expensive other camera system.

So we bring this gadget-using stage forward, stop them running around now - keep them sitting glued to the devices - then I can keep the K7, shoot at low ISOs, and finally be able to freeze all the action in a wide range of lighting conditions !

meanwhile obesity rates soar!!
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.