K5IIS V CANON 6D

McGregNi

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 21:15
Cut it out you lot, or this could all go to my head!

Rest assured, even my supreme powers of self control have been sorely tested of late
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 24/06/2013 - 21:15

Conqueror

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 22:28
These are some of the best K-5 mk1 photos I think I've seen... which just shows how capable the mk1 is with quality glass..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeoria/

What lenses do you have?

I would say forget the body and plough that money into the FA 31/43/77 if you don't have them.. and possibly the DA* 50-135mm
K-3ii

smudge

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 22:46
Conqueror wrote:
These are some of the best K-5 mk1 photos I think I've seen... which just shows how capable the mk1 is with quality glass..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeoria/

What lenses do you have?

I would say forget the body and plough that money into the FA 31/43/77 if you don't have them.. and possibly the DA* 50-135mm

Great photos in that link. The sad thing is that I have the K5 and K5II and the limited lenses...but somehow my pics just don't look like that...
Regards, Philip

martoto

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 23:04
I haven't be able to justify taking K-5 II since the differences with my k-5 are just too little. Instead I've got Canon 6D on order. I'll play with it and decide to switch the brands or not. Then I'll sell whatever equipment became redundant.

Pentax system is very good one and I am really enjoying the look, feel, top notch ergonomic and compactness overall. However since my 18 months old son started to pick up considerable speed in his movement around I've got a close to zero keeper shots when trying to follow him. Especially indoor. Pentax still lacks on the focus front and I cannot see this will get that better soon. Mainly because it is not only the body but lens dependent too. For example my DA*55 f1.4 has probably the best IQ and certainly the widest aperture in my collection. However SDM auto-focus is so painfully slow. I hope Canon will give me more on this respect along with all the other FF goodies.

Please take all of these as my own opinion. I do not consider myself as even advanced enthusiast and I know a lot of shot failures I had are because of the lack of skills. I am sure Pentax in the hands of a pro can do a lot beautiful stuff so yeah, camera is just the tool. But also I do believe advance of the tech can compensate a bit of the lack of experience. Otherwise photography would not have became such of popular and wide spread hobby in the first place.

I little comment on the costs part: If you look careful Canon 6D is far less than twice the price of K5IIs. If you put in the equation build in GPS (£200 from Pentax) and WiFi actually it looks even cheap Also after the recent years price hike of Pentax glass, some of the Canon's equivalent FF lenses are even cheaper (well at least these what I am interested on)!

Smeggypants

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 01:05
I thought the 6D was twice the price of the K-5II ?

At least that's what was posted earler in the thread ???
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

CMW

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 08:01
£1500 v £850 according to Camera Price Buster (usually reliable), for UK-sourced goods. So the 6D isn't twice the price but nor is it far off.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

johnriley

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 08:18
£691 for a K-5 II body from SRS. Price comparison sites don't include all suppliers, so it's always worth looking a little closer at the market.
Best regards, John

Blythman

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 08:28
And the K-5 is cheaper again. However the original "double the price" was with reference to the K-5IIs

The K-5IIs is £849 at SRS. The 6D is £1595 at Park and Wex. So, less than double the price
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Dodge69

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 09:07
If you need to spend £1400+ +lenses to get get better shots of your kids, then fair enough...

Personally I would have thought there are smaller, faster, easier, cheaper & same real terms quality, devices to be using?

If you do not make larger than 20x16 prints more than 10 times a year, then I'm pretty sure you do not need to bother with FF.

Free country of course, people earn their money and are free to do with it what they will.
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 19:46
Check out TOUGEFC on the other forum. The shots he takes of his kids would simply not be possible on APSC. (I'm sure he uses the camera for more serious things too. OTOH for a dad who is also a photographer, getting beautiful shots of your own kids is probably a serious matter!)
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

cabstar

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 20:13
martoto wrote:
I haven't be able to justify taking K-5 II since the differences with my k-5 are just too little. Instead I've got Canon 6D on order. I'll play with it and decide to switch the brands or not. Then I'll sell whatever equipment became redundant.

Pentax system is very good one and I am really enjoying the look, feel, top notch ergonomic and compactness overall. However since my 18 months old son started to pick up considerable speed in his movement around I've got a close to zero keeper shots when trying to follow him. Especially indoor. Pentax still lacks on the focus front and I cannot see this will get that better soon. Mainly because it is not only the body but lens dependent too. For example my DA*55 f1.4 has probably the best IQ and certainly the widest aperture in my collection. However SDM auto-focus is so painfully slow. I hope Canon will give me more on this respect along with all the other FF goodies.

Please take all of these as my own opinion. I do not consider myself as even advanced enthusiast and I know a lot of shot failures I had are because of the lack of skills. I am sure Pentax in the hands of a pro can do a lot beautiful stuff so yeah, camera is just the tool. But also I do believe advance of the tech can compensate a bit of the lack of experience. Otherwise photography would not have became such of popular and wide spread hobby in the first place.

I little comment on the costs part: If you look careful Canon 6D is far less than twice the price of K5IIs. If you put in the equation build in GPS (£200 from Pentax) and WiFi actually it looks even cheap Also after the recent years price hike of Pentax glass, some of the Canon's equivalent FF lenses are even cheaper (well at least these what I am interested on)!

You know I really don't get this statement and I have seen it countless times on this forum, how many portrait studios do you see kids running around and the photographer chasing them? None, the reason being no AF system is capable of doing this. Most portraits are taken around 1/50 to 1/160 any movement is going to result in blur, no matter what camera you are using.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

giofi

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 21:38
cabstar wrote:
martoto wrote:

You know I really don't get this statement and I have seen it countless times on this forum, how many portrait studios do you see kids running around and the photographer chasing them? None, the reason being no AF system is capable of doing this. Most portraits are taken around 1/50 to 1/160 any movement is going to result in blur, no matter what camera you are using.

I did not think Martoto was talking about portraits, but generally pictures of your children running around the house, playing, etc. I think he has a point, especially that the less skilled user will get better results with a camera which is more capable, in this case with better AF. I have direct experience with this when taking pictures of our nefews. Their parents have at their disposal a Canon 1d mk4 and a canon 5d mk3. They are not expert photographers, but I do not think I have ever seen an out of focus children picture out of those cameras. I do regularly delete a fair number of mine taken with my K-5.

On the other hand, if fast AF is what you are looking for, you do not need to go FF for that....
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery
Last Edited by giofi on 25/06/2013 - 21:39

cabstar

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 22:06
But you don't know how many they have deleted either do you???

A 1d mkiv and the 5d mkiii will help considerably with AF tracking but then they should at over 3 times the cost of the k-5 mkiii

I recently compared the AF speed of the 5d mkiii against the k-5 mkii and in spot AF there is very very very little difference between them in AF speed.

martoto wrote:

The 55mm is possibly Pentax's slowest SDM lens, its built for portraits rather than speed.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

K10D

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 23:21
If some make of kit commands a higher price than others and it sells, kudos to the manufacturer.

Best regards

McGregNi

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 01:11
The main issue I have when snapping the kids running around is getting shutter speeds high enough without cranking up the ISO too much (I do only have a K7!)- ok out in the sun, but indoors and in dull lighting it can be the main issue, more so than autofocus I find.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 26/06/2013 - 01:11
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.